Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cobra Fly Z Driver Review...before you drop $500 on a King!

dhayse32

I am pretty sure this driver has been reviewed more than most people care about....but with the new driver set to hit the market before long and with it carrying that massive price tag, I figured I would offer just one more review in an attempt to save those of you in the market for a game changing driver some money!

First off, I am no stranger to new drivers.  I am always searching for a cure for my mediocre driving game.  Most of the time just when I think I have found it, I am hit with a string of bad rounds that forces me to blame something, which of course is the driver and not my swing.  Point being, I am yet to be fully satisfied off the tee.  Earlier this year I tried the G30/G30LS/915D2 and R15.  The R15, surprisingly, was my favorite of the bunch and I played it for much of the early season....I even did a review on here expressing my LOVE for this driver. 

Well that summer love didn't last for a few reasons.  One, I started to drive the ball like crap...two, I read the MyGolfSpy MOST WANTED Review...and three, I hit the several drivers on the launch monitor and saw the results.  I normally don't trust the "experts" at Dicks, but my range session got rained out and it was close so I decided to test some drivers out.  The FlyZ, Cally XR and TM Aeroburner.  The FlyZ was an average of 30 yards longer, had a better launch, MUCH lower spin and more consistent than the others...Long story short - Cobra lowered their prices, sold the R15 for a crazy amount, and bought a FlyZ. 

I bought just the head and shafted it with an AD MT-6X.  "This is the best driver ever"...probably said this a dozen times over the last 5-6 years, but for me, this is.  I am hitting drives 20-30 yards longer than every before.   My mishits with this are as long as my best drives with my other drivers.  It is crazy.  I NEVER get roll, but with the FlyZ I do.  I feel like I am getting commission from Cobra the way I am selling this, but I just want to share the love. 

While the distance, for me, has no equal, the forgiveness mirrors that of the G30.  This club actually LOVES the high-slight toeish hit, which is my miss. This doesn't solve my swing issues.  I still hit a stray ball from time to time, but my great balls are at an all time high.  I look forward to the tee box instead of dreading it and reaching for my 3-wood to keep the ball in play.

So like a 15 year old girl, I am in love again....for how long?  Who knows....but I can say this is to this day, the best driver I have hit or owned.   Will stick with this until the next true love comes along, which hopefully is a while away. 

HAY_1487 (1280x848).jpg

HAY_1485 (1280x848).jpg

HAY_1488 (1280x848).jpg

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Nice review, dhayse32. I am sticking with my Bio Cell awhile longer. I put it down and grab one of my Powerbilts but always go back to the Bio Cell a few rounds later.

I like the Fly-Z and have yet to try it......maybe soon.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice review, dhayse32. I am sticking with my Bio Cell awhile longer. I put it down and grab one of my Powerbilts but always go back to the Bio Cell a few rounds later.

Same here.  Couldn't be happier with the Bio Cell.....will try the fly-z sooner or later but not in a hurry!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Hmmm.....maybe it is time to actually try my Bio Cell + for more than one round.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

This kinda feels like dejavu Hayzee, have we done this before?  I don't care if we have because I mirror your feelings on the FlyZ.  It is the only Driver bar none, that I have even considered to replace my G25.  I have worked out what I have been doing in my swing lately that has had me spraying the ball all over the place off the tee, or should I say what I haven't been doing in my swing, so it might be time to revisit the FlyZ again as a replacement.  I seem to recall when I reviewed it that I was waxing lyrical in a similar fashion as you have above :) I also have a little bit of extra coin and prices are coming down as the King Cobra approaches sooooo... :lol: *evil club ho laugh*

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

This kinda feels like dejavu Hayzee, have we done this before? 

That is correct!  My love with the R15 was just a fling, I knew it wouldn't last but was trying to enjoy it while I could...

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Hoping to get my Bio Cell adapter today so I can try out the Paderson Kinetix Green shaft this weekend.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I've always liked the Cobra brand but have never succeeded in finding a Cobra driver that worked for my swing - they have always launched too high with too much spin.  For that reason I've had great success with their fairway metals/hybrids but not the driver.

Maybe I should take the Fly Z for a spin when I go to check out the G30 - My SLDR is coming up on 2 years old and while I'm happy enough with it that's a long time for me to bag the same driver. :)

Nice review

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev,  I thought your SLDR was a new club with the addition of the Paderson shaft.

I can attest Dustin hits this driver very well.  His quick tempo, aggressive action, and high scores, much like the colors of the driver, remind me of the Chip Kelly led Oregon offense.  

In all seriousness, the Fly Z is an awesome driver.  I've played the FZ+ all year and am going to make the switch to the FZ this week.  Awesome feel off the face, ball gets up quick and seems to just stay there.  To me the FZ is a better feeling/sounding G30LS with better distance and similar forgiveness.

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

That is a sharp driver! Really loved my amp cell pro, cobra has been releasing some really solid clubs. Needs to get more love.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I bought a Bio Cell driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood for Christmas. I LOVE these 3 clubs! I am getting good distance and they are easy to hit. win/win

Joe

Great review.  Ive never really tried any Cobra gear lately (I liked Cobra back in the late '90s because they were Titleist's budget brand) but Ive been hearing a lot of great press for them lately and Im thinking when Im in the market for new clubs, I need to give Cobra a look, especially if Adidas does indeed sell off Taylormade.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Good review. I played Cobra drivers for years with good results before I started wandering. My last session at Golfsmith, I tried the G30 LS, my old RocketBallz Stage2, and the Callaway XR. Tho I bought the XR, lately it's a struggle to hit the fairway, and I have that beginning player Nemesis, a slice. Seems like I really work to hit it straight, and I'm ready to try something easier. Also, the XR flies very low, although I have it at 11*.

I've always been like Rod Carew, Wade Boggs, and Tony Gwynn with drivers; I use the whole field, foul pole to foul pole.  I have to see wide open spaces to pull the big dog out of the bag, and rare is the course where it comes  out more than four or five times.  Pretty often, my bag goes onto the cart or pull trolley bearing no driver at all.

But I do try from time to time. I recently found a Titleist 10.5--stainless, not big titanium--that matches my PTs.  I'm giving that a shot.  But yesterday, resetting a circuit breaker, I found something interesting in the electrical service closet down in the man cave.   

The referenced item is a 14º, 44" Bang-O-Matic 460 with a shaft seemingly made from a fly rod.  My late uncle, who played to the age of 90, went into battle daily with this curious weapon, and it appears that it somehow came into my possession. 

I've got to hit a small bucket with the scruffy, scratched up thing.  If I actually hit it well, I'll have to decide whether to bag it or conclude that it's time to give up golf.

Archived