Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Road Trip - SLC, Las Vegas, Sacramento/Reno/Tahoe, Corvallis OR

Kenny B

Kenny B is heading out on the road to Vegas next week in his Dodge Hemi Charger.

I have to be in Vegas on Wednesday night 9/23.  I can leave on Tuesday 9/22 and drive to Salt Lake City and play golf on Wednesday 9/23 morning early if anyone in SLC is available (KFilly expressed an interest a few months ago when I was planning the trip).  If no one can play Wednesday, then I may alter my route and blast my way down through the middle of Nevada in one shot... about 12 hours.

I will be playing golf somewhere in Vegas on Thursday 9/24.  I don't know where yet, but if anyone happens to be there, let's join up!  

On Friday-Sunday I will be enjoying my third 3-day Moe Norman golf school conducted by the Graves Golf Academy.  My first GGA school was in 2007 at their Orlando location, Eagle Creek Golf Club.  My second school was in 2010 at their home facility Coffee Creek Golf Club in Edmond, OK.  I am way overdue for a refresher and trying to get my form back after knee surgery 2 years ago.

I will be leaving Vegas on Monday 9/28 headed to Corvallis, OR.  I can stop Monday night in either Sacramento or Reno/Tahoe and play golf on Tuesday 9/29, preferably early, but will stay over another night if need be.  If there are no takers, I may alter my plans and drive straight through.  

I will be in Corvallis, OR for a few days and can play on 10/1.  Mmmmmbuddy? 

Hope to see as many MGS'ers as possible.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will check the schedule and see if I can escape for the day..  Sounds like a really good trip. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

9/29 in sac I'm open and down for the cause.

Could even do Tahoe.... Or possibly reno

I can go Tuesday in Sac as well, but probably not until after 12:30 :(

OK, though early is better for me, I am willing to stay an extra night to meet you guys!  I finally get to start meeting my New Year's resolution.

Sounds like Sac is the best choice for Dave.  What part of the Sac area should I look for a hotel?  I just don't want to be on the other side of town.  I am looking for the Marriott family of hotels.  Let me know soon, so I can make the reservation before I leave.  Since I have never played in the area, I will let you guys select the course and make the tee time.  

I am already having fun!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

Dave is gonna hate me - but I say we play roseville/rocklin or Auburn golf...

Dave?

If you guys get that done that's fine. I can probably only get to Haggin/Makenzie in time to finish a round. Gotta work the real job :(

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Scratch that, you can't come to Sac and not play with Dave as well - Let's play Haggin!

(if you happen to be in town EARLY that day - eg staying the night before) and wanna do 36... I'd meet you for an earlier round too

I should be getting into Sac around 6pm on Monday; about a 10 hour drive.  I haven't done 36 for a couple of years, but if you want to drag me around the course, I don't have other plans.  I'll be leaving on Wednesday morning for another 9 hour drive!

I'm a glutton for punishment - so 36 just sounds fun to me - plus I'll just have wrapped up a weekend of working including Monday.

Soooo if you wanted to do 36 - we could start with Morgan Creek around 8 a.m. and do Haggin Oaks/McKenzie at 1 p.m.

Or... I'm 100% ok with just doing Haggin after 12:30 and not beating on ourselves.

Your call, I'm in (got wife approval)

If I were 10 years younger, I would do it.  Hell, I used to do it all the time.  I have a feeling that I will be pretty sore from the weekend, then driving for 10 hours on Monday.  I think I should take the morning off.  Maybe head to Haggin mid-morning and get a little putting practice in; then have lunch there if the food is OK.  

Looking forward to the trip.  I am playing with KFilly20 in Utah this Wednesday morning before heading to Vegas.

• 3 weeks later...

Trip Report -

Well, I got back to Kennewick, WA on Friday.  What a great trip!!  I was hoping to meet KFilly20 in Salt Lake City on my way to Las Vegas but unfortunately his boss called him in to work.  I was going to spend the night in SLC, play golf, then drive on to Vegas, but since my plans changed, I decided to drive straight there.  I changed my route to blast my way down through the middle of Nevada on Hwy 93.  13 hours later I was in Vegas having dinner with some friends from Tennessee that I used to work with.  They were working there for 2 weeks doing what I used to do before I retired.  So, although I didn't get to meet KFilly, I did get a chance to see some good friends.  

After a day of rest I spent the next 3 days under the watchful eye of my golf coach #TourSauce  :)  This was my third session with the Graves Golf Academy, the premier teachers of the Moe Norman single plane swing.  http://moenormangolf.com  My first was in 2007 in Orlando; second was in 2010 in Oklahoma City.  This school was at the Revere Golf Club at Anthem in Henderson, NV.

IMG_4298.jpg

Over the years I have done pretty well with this swing.  It fixed a big slice, and I enjoy the game more now.  I did have a grip issue and a forward slide on the downswing that I attribute to my knee replacement 2 years ago.  Hopefully, I am fixing that now.

IMG_4301.jpg

Following the school my coach said “Now, don't go out and play golf.  Take some time off and work on your drills until you form the new habits.”  Great advice for anyone contemplating a swing change.  So… the next morning I headed out for the drive north.  I stopped in Sacramento, CA; spent the night and got up the next morning and played golf with GolfSpy Tim, GolfSpy Dave, and Dave's friend from work (sorry, forgot the name).  So much for golf school!  We played the Alister MacKenzie course at Haggin Oaks GC.  Very nice course and a lovely walk. Lousy front nine (46) but better back nine (39).  Thanks for taking time off work guys; I really enjoyed it!!  Great to finally meet some GolfSpys.

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

The next morning I drove north to see my parents in Corvallis, OR.  I stopped in Creswell, OR outside Eugene to see a pro at the Emerald Valley GC.  He recently moved from Kennewick, WA to be the Head pro.  His mom lives across the street from me.  After a couple of days with my parents, I headed home to complete my 10 day trip that started one day after my official retirement date.  Now I need a retirement plan.  I've got to get back to my golf school drills… right after I play this afternoon!!  

What a great trip!!  I'm looking forward to meeting more GolfSpys during the Florida swing Feb 1-13, 2016.

Archived