TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wishon 590DIH long irons

NiftyNiblick

Here's something I hadn't noticed until just now: Tom Wishon makes #s 2, 3, and 4 irons (modern 18, 21, and 24º strong lofts) that take .335" (wood-size tip) shafts. 

This, I would have to imagine, would make it easier for heretofore non-long-iron players to get the ball up into the air.   

Wishon is always going to be all about Game Improvement and giving folks the best opportunity to succeed.  What's really the different between these and a hybrid performance wise?  Iron or not higher launch is going to perform like a hybrid I would think.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I like the look of Wishon's product line.  A lot.  I wish he would take the club numbers off all of his models, though.  I wish all the manufacturers would.  The number / loft correlations have gotten so strong that the numbering system is corrupted.  Just use the lofts.  What a 4-iron is has become a matter of opinion, but a degree is always a degree. 

Off topic, I hit some shots on the range this morning with some of the last Kenneth Smith Royal Signet irons ever made before the company ceased operations.  Really nice clubs, but what caught my attention were the Penley shafts.  Penley was a major player not that long ago, but I haven't seen much of them lately.  Nothing wrong with the shafts on the Kenneth Smiths, and I'm guessing that they're about fifteen years old. 

I like the look of Wishon's product line.  A lot.  I wish he would take the club numbers off all of his models, though.  I wish all the manufacturers would.  The number / loft correlations have gotten so strong that the numbering system is corrupted.  Just use the lofts.  What a 4-iron is has become a matter of opinion, but a degree is always a degree. 

I don't understand the fascination with lofts and club numbers.  I don't care if they stamp smiley faces on the bottoms, all I want is a club that goes the distance I'm trying to hit.  If mine says 4 and your's says 6 it really doesn't matter to me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm not sure if anyone knows but I kind of like Wishon designs.  ;)

I play the 770CSI irons 4i-9i. Best performing/feeling irons I've ever owned. Of course they were custom fit which makes a huge difference for any club. That's assuming you had a competent fitter which I certainly did. I also carry 52* and 56* Wishon PFC Micro Tour wedges. Awesome control and stopping power. These clubs combined with Aerotech i80 R-flex shafts make a sweet set. My swing weights range from D-0.5 up to D-5.0 which are MOI matched at 2588-2596 all 4i thru SW. These particular irons have been referred to at times (by others ie...golf digest) as GI to SGI irons. However, I tend to disagree. The 771's have a smaller head with a thin top-line. Perhaps the deep cavity puts them in the game improving category. So be it. They setup nicely without looking the least bit clunky. The look and address is confidant. For players above a 10-12 hcp they might be not so forgiving. IMHO.

I also own and play a Wishon 929HS 16.5* 4w. It's matched with a Wishon S2S Green 65g shaft. Again awesome club and fit. My WGT 775HS 3HB 21* is in jail at the moment. I don't hit it that well for some reason and I suspect that I might need to review my fit on this club.

All in all though I absolutely love the Wishons I play. If you have a competent fitter nearby you might want to give them a close look. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived