Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

10 Finger Grip. Is it for you?

I've just returned from a golf outing and made a discovery. I think. On the final day while on the practice tee I for some reason decided to hit some balls with a 10 finger grip. Wow! I had been struggling some during the week with my ball striking. I think I'm switching to a 10 finger. I've played my entire career with an overlap. That's just how I was introduced to the game. Pros don't use a 10 I thought so why should I? Well, very few anyway. Hogwash.

I discovered some of the most flush ball striking I've ever seen and felt. Much more compression. And... I've gained distance. Additionally I've not suffered any odd hooks or anything. All this is not to say that I've found the "secret" but it sure seems to be working for me. I'm heading out shortly to join my regular Saturday game. I'm excited to try this out again. I'll let everyone know how it worked out with more information regarding distance, ball flight, etc.

Do any of you guys use a 10-finger grip?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think we had a thread on this a while back. My thoughts on are the same so I'll just add them on here for reference.

I use an interlocking grip now but when I started playing a few years ago I used a ten finger grip since I played baseball my whole life and it felt comfortable. If it's functional I don't see why there would be a problem with it.

Here's an excerpt that I enjoyed reading from a chapter in Harvey Penick's book "The Wisdom of Harvey Penick":

"DURING OUR MANY years as friends and colleagues, Jimmy Demaret and I had countless conversations about the golf grip. You may be surprised to discover that when Jimmy was Masters champion and known the world over for his ability, he decided his grip was wrong— but he was too far into a successful career to think seriously about changing it.

Jimmy used the familiar Vardon, or overlapping, grip from his early days as a caddie all the way to the end of his life. Yet he came to believe the Vardon grip is not the most fundamentally sound grip for most players, including Jimmy himself.

Harry Vardon made the piggybacking of the pinkie finger of his right hand onto the top of his left index finger— or into the space between the index and third fingers—into the most popular way for players to hold the club.

Vardon had big, strong, fast hands, and his style of grip was meant to move his hands closer together and, by removing one finger from the handle, reduce the possibility of his right hand overpowering his left during his swing. Proper application of his hands increased his power and helped him to control the club.

“But how many golfers do we encounter whose big problem is having too much power?” Jimmy would say.

Jimmy believed the average player should learn the so-called ten-finger grip. In fact, it is eight fingers and two thumbs, but you know what I mean.

This is often called the baseball grip, which is incorrect. If you were to grip a golf club like a baseball bat, your thumbs would be around the handle just as your fingers are.

“The full-fingered grip is the most fundamentally sound grip for the vast majority of golfers ,” Jimmy said. “Most golfers don't need to fight hands that are too fast. Most golfers have just the opposite problem—their hands are not fast enough.”

In the full-fingered grip, Jimmy believed, the hands should be as close together as possible, with that right pinkie finger on the handle of the club to help deliver the blow.

“In a reasonable swing, the right hand won't take over from the left with the full-fingered grip,” Jimmy said. “The two hands will work together. You get more power and better control. I'm so accustomed to the Vardon grip by now that it would take me a long time to change, and I'm doing okay the way things are. But if I was a newcomer to the game, or an average player who doesn't depend on golf for a living, I would certainly use the full-fingered grip.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I was hoping to provide an update from my change to the 10-finger...ehem, full-fingered grip. I had to quit today after 4. I'd played 81 holes the past few days and my right hip was sore. I just couldn't turn well.

I'll put something up soon after I've rested a bit. I think the full-fingered grip just might be for me. To start with I don't have large hands. Average. The other day I noticed increased distance and more consistent flush ball striking. Both are winners for anyone's game. Certainly mine.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Ive tried it.  I find that I get too flippy with it and tend to hit pulls or snap hooks.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm an interlock guy but I have no problem with whatever grip works for people. 10 finger, vardon, interlock, whatever the hell Furyk does, it's all deadly if it fits you well.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I was contemplating it, but the more I read the more I saw that it "could" lead to hooks, which I battled with at the time. So, I'm sticking with the interlock for now.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

When I first started I used the interlock grip for one year and then switched to overlap which felt way more secure, stable and comfortable to me.

My miss is a push from not releasing the club head and I use the ten finger grip to groove that feeling down before I head out, but I hit too many fat shots with that grip to use it.

I remember reading some where that if you have smaller fingers the interlock is more comfortable.

Hope it works out for you though!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I played 18 in my usual Saturday game. Scored well (77) with a double on 18. UGH! I used the Full-Fingered grip all day and struck my irons great. Solid and crisp. But... I'm not so sure about it with my driver. I did manage 50% fairways (7). Of the 7 I missed two of them were ugly low hooks. The others were off the FW either left or right by no more than 5 yds. This week I'll practice some with the driver experimenting with the FFG and my normal overlap. To be honest I think I'm sticking with FFG. I'm noticing much more solid striking and better ball flight and increased distance. Since this is only the second opportunity I've had to use this gripping technique I'll add that the jury is still out. But, so far the results are very promising. It's kind of crazy to say but I feel like I've discovered some sort of secret. The FFG actually feels quite natural to me. I'm much more optimistic about my game than I have been in months. Is it possible that something as simple as changing the way I hold the club going to become a game changer? Maybe.

I have never played anything other than the 10 finger or FFG, coming from playing softball.  Over the last few years I have toyed with changing to interlocking or overlapping but the results were disastrous.  I am currently a 9.5 HCP but with either of those grips I would be a 30!!  Too late in my life to change.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I started out with the interlocking, because that is what my dad said to do. About 5 years ago, I switched to the Overlapping (Vardon) because I read it gave more distance, and was trying to get rid of my early release. Then 2 years ago, I switched to the 10 Finger or FFG because it works best for me.

I fought the urge to hit the ball with my right hand for 30 years. I have written about this a couple of years ago. about hitting vs swinging. But the bottom line is I learned that with the FFG and a slower body swing and then hitting the ball with my trail hand once my hands have gotten below my waist, I hit it longer and straighter.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

When I first started I used the interlock grip for one year and then switched to overlap which felt way more secure, stable and comfortable to me.

My miss is a push from not releasing the club head and I use the ten finger grip to groove that feeling down before I head out, but I hit too many fat shots with that grip to use it.

I remember reading some where that if you have smaller fingers the interlock is more comfortable.

Hope it works out for you though!

Must make a change to this. I have a very passive right hand and noticed that I have been struggling with a left wrist that cups at the top. Happened with the overlap grip, but when I switch to interlock it goes away. Went to the range today and now it feels better than the overlap. The search continues I guess. Good to see you were hitting the ball well!@

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I was talking to a friend last night about my discovery of the 8-finger (full finger) griping method. This guy is a scratch player and has been for decades. To my surprise he informed me of another guy I know that's a 0-2 handicap who plays with a full grip method. I never knew. My friend went on to tell me that he himself sometimes uses a full finger when he needs to get a little extra out of an iron. Interesting note though.... he said he uses a reverse overlap grip. Here's the thing. I recall a few times over my career seeing a guy or two using the full finger and until recently thought to myself that this guy must not have had any instruction. I mean; who would grip a club like that? That's not what a real golfer does. Well, Jack Nicklaus is a "real golfer" and he says it doesn't matter what grip you use as long as you can deliver the club head to the ball properly. I think I'll go with Jack and the 10-finger, full finger, 8-finger, what-ever finger for the time being. Seems to be working for me.

There's only one finger that really matters!     :D

And right now it feels like golf is giving it to me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Couldn't agree more with your opinions that you've expressed in here PJ. I made the switch this season and am not looking back. It makes the club feel so much more natural in my hands.

The only club I don't grip that way is the putter. Everything else is baseball. Now if I try an interlocking grip I hit massive blocks. Not good.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I started out as a preteen with the interlocking grip and then switched to the overlapping.  The only place that I ever tried the ten-finger grip was on the driving range with unimpressive results.

I also played baseball as a youth, way back when kids played with heavy wooden bats, but it was different; the bat handle was much thicker than a golf club grip, the swing horizontal with at most an imperceptible uppercut, and the bat angle at contact less critical.  Hitting foul pole to foul pole was good in baseball.

People have enjoyed success with the ten finger grip, so it can't be completely biomechanically unsound. In my case, however, I can't make contact the same way twice in succession. My hands compete rather than work together.

It looks like the next few days will be nice enough to at least get some range time in, I'll have to try this.

Due to the tendonitis flaring up in my hands this season, I've already made a lot of changes to my swing, but I'm pretty comfortable with my swing now.

I use an interlocked grip, since that was how I was taught and I've never given any thought to changing it, but it won't hurt to experiment with a "10 finger" grip on the range.  Maybe it will be easier on my hands, as well.

If it shows promise on actual turf, I can work on it over the winter on a mat.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I tried it again yesterday after my tee shot on a couple of holes...massive hooks. I'll be keeping the interlock I guess.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Yesterday I once again used the full grip method. With my irons. I switched back and forth a few times with my driver using full finger and my ole standard over-lap. I hit better shots with the over-lap when driving the ball. No big hooks. So... as my experiment continues I'll use full finger with my irons and over-lap with the driver. As they say... whatever works.

Just got home from the range after trying the 10 finger grip for the first time and it DOES seem to improve contact, particularly at the beginning of my range session. Possibly, it's a more natural grip for me.

Hope to get to the range again tomorrow.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Okay I've got another wrinkle (or knuckle should I say.) 

My former teacher had me strengthen my grip significantly.  It work to an extent but of late I've been struggling with the driver.  My current teacher is encouraging a more neutral (not weak) grip with my right hand.  I find that I hit my irons and even fairway woods much better that way but I struggle with hooking the driver - ee gads!

I'm wondering if this doesn't happen because I have a significantly positive AoA with the driver.  I'm going to try the neutral grip (over lapping) through the bag and just scooting that right hand stronger with driver only to see what happens on the range today and then on the course on Friday. 

My experience with the 10 finger has been exactly what Nifty described.  I played baseball with it and had those old heavy wooden bats (I also used the whole field - the Royals do to - what worked then still works today).  I will hit the heck out of some with the 10 finger grip but am not at all consistent with it because my hands never seem to sync up.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So...

I have to admit to something here.  I use both, but it isn't what you think.

With most of my clubs and full swings I use an interlock. However, as I get into closer ranges where I want more control and feel with partial swings, I move to a 10 finger and no glove. Like most, I find that with the 10 finger setup I have a tendency to pull things a little left, so I have to adapt to that, but with some practice, it becomes very natural. 

That said, it took a long time to understand the why and how.  Now I really do prefer the 10 finger on the partials, and it has quietly become a strong part of my game (most weeks, not the last week though)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

This is too much fun - we're all over the place aren't we. :)

I love these days when I'm working from home and I can stay on real time.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Rev, I thought that a strong right hand grip would lead to more hooking.  I strengthened my grip a few weeks ago and was hitting the driver pretty well for awhile, but this last weekend in the wind, it was quack, quack; back to a more neutral right hand grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yes Kenny you would think - but it isn't the case with the driver - for me (the key ingredient here.)

My former pro's argument is that a strong grip puts a player in a good hitting position at set up.  He wants the right shoulder lower than the left at set up and impact.  For me that's great for the driver but not always sustainable with the irons.  I haven't a clue why I hook with a more neutral grip with the driver other than the fact that my default miss always seems to be the hook (with an occasional block for good measure.)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Did we formally hijack this thread?  Sorry about that.

My coach wants we to have my right shoulder a lot lower than I have it at address and impact.  My tendency is to straighten up at impact, and I think it was due to the years of pain in the left knee keeping me from getting to my right side.  I'm working on it now that it doesn't hurt but it's now an old habit.  

But, back to the 10 (well 8 finger) finger grip, I really only grip the club with the last 3 fingers of each hand. The index finger of the left hand is only on the club for the ride, and the right index finger (I call it the trigger finger) is separated from the fingers.  I try to keep both hands as close together as possible, almost like the overlap.  More separation of the hands reduces the leverage angle that can be achieved, and thus speed.

• 6 months later...

I used to be an interlocking type when I first started but one day I just started using ten and never looked back. I feel like I have insanely better ball striking because of it. I also have a Moe Norman strong grip but it keeps my hands forward and as long as I keep the back of my left hand to the target all is well. Occasionally, I will turn my left hand to the left and hook but usually its all good in the hood! 

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

interesting this topic came back up....

I'm still using the full-finger grip method and can't see myself changing back. I don't have large hands... average I suppose. Since I changed to the 10-finger grip my game has improved in all aspects. Much improved ball striking... more solid and flush more often. It feels natural to me now.

• 2 months later...

After running across this post the other day I gave it a shot on the course today.  I typically use the overlap grip so it wasn't a drastic change but it took me a bit to get it down.  I was deathly afraid of hooking the ball by gripping too tight with the right hand and that left me hitting some high fades.  After I figured it out I was able to really get the feel of it.

I think it gave me the sense that I had a lot more control of the clubhead; going to take a bit more practice but after reading this and some other articles on the web I might be a convert!

... hit one of my longest drives in a while with it (290) and some great 3w shots (250).

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C