Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best irons for a near beginner ?

PlaidJacket

I have a co-worker who's wanting to get a new set of irons. He hasn't played all that much really but would like to start playing more. I forget what his current set is but it really doesn't matter. They are old and do not fit him at all.

I'm thinking a super game improving set of irons of some brand. He'll also get a basic retail fit. I'll help with selecting driver, HB's etc. At this point I've already suggested that he try not to spend too much. I'm also not suggesting used. He can afford a new set of irons with the proper shafts. 

I'd like to hear some opinions - suggestions.

Thanks guys.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's hard to recommend walking in to a retail store and buying a new set off the rack for a beginner set of clubs.  Personally I think it's just throwing money away.  I'd highly recommend a nice used set and spend the extra money on fitting and lessons.

Also while I do fully believe in getting fit, at this point just a basic length/loft/lie and shaft flex is going to be enough to get started.  

As for a recommendation I'd take a look at the Taylormade RSi 1 irons.  They won the MGS most wanted game improvement by a large margin and you can get a really good deal on used sets.  Take a look at Globalgolf.com to get an idea of used prices.  Plus they have 18% off used clubs going on right now.  Found a nice set of 4-pw, sw for about $500 after the coupon.

Check out the MGS most wanted for some other irons that did well.  Ping G series irons, Mizzy JPX series, Cobra Fly-Z (or Bio Cell or Amp Cell).  Just depends on the budget and what he likes to look at.

For a first nicer set of irons though I just don't see buying new.  Save some dough and get a nice used set then spend the extra money on lessons.  In the long run that will lead to better golf faster than anything else.

Best of luck with the search!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Forgot to link the MGS Most wanted...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/best-game-improvement-irons-2015/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

PJ, I think you can help him with a length and lie fit.  Once you have that, I would go with hcky's used suggestion.  Are you looking at steel or graphite?  Personally, I would go with graphite for several reasons unless swing speed is pretty high.  I don't think the brand really matters in his case, so go with what appeals to him.  If the lie angle is not standard, I would seriously look at Ping, maybe G30 or GMAX in his dot color just because you know it will be correct, rather than have it bent.  Mizuno_lover really liked his GMAX but don't know if they are available yet on the used market.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Consider Ping G25 irons. Still available in custom specs for a VERY reasonable price. Ping irons also hold value well, so if he decides to change sets in a season or 2, it should not hurt to much..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'd also throw the Wilson D100 into the mix but the Ping G25 sounds like a smart move to me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Dick's sells a set of irons from Wilson called the Reflex for $199. They have a slotted insert on all the irons.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If your golf shop sells used clubs, that's the way I'd go. I know the consensus will be toward SGI irons. Personally, I don't buy that... never did. It might be that those are perfect for him, but... maybe not. Tell him to hit a few different irons off the used rack and see what he likes best. Those are what he should get, regardless of what the designation is. Just my opinion.... even though I know it isn't as popular one.

I have a co-worker who's wanting to get a new set of irons. He hasn't played all that much really but would like to start playing more. I forget what his current set is but it really doesn't matter. They are old and do not fit him at all.

I'm thinking a super game improving set of irons of some brand. He'll also get a basic retail fit. I'll help with selecting driver, HB's etc. At this point I've already suggested that he try not to spend too much. I'm also not suggesting used. He can afford a new set of irons with the proper shafts. 

Thanks guys.

I'm also not suggesting used. He can afford a new set of irons with the proper shafts. 

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the suggestions. This young man earns a good salary so buying himself a new set of fit irons isn't an issue. I went back and reviewed the most wanted GI irons and showed him the selection. I do think perhaps the Pings might be a good choice. I'll probably go with him if I can when he gets ready to go buy.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

+1 for the g30s, I started playing within the past year after a 10 year plus hiatus. When I was playing before I played with a set of hand-me downs from my grandfather. I took the leap and went ping after reading up on them and going and hitting them and others at golfsmith.

One that's usually forgotten is the Wilson 1200GE, probably available on ebay.

Even the 1-iron was hittable.

Late seventies/early eighties Spalding Executive was a good beginner's club as well.

Early Ping Karstens weren't bad, but they all had stiff shafts.

Beginners really struggle with woods because the bulge and roll takes away their confidence.  Wedgewood Golds could be helpful there.

Cheapest, easiest to hit clubs you could find. Obviously if money were no option is say to go get fit, but that's probably not the case.

But it's imperative to spend as little as possible and then extend, bend, regrip to get as close a fit as possible. You'd rather spend extra money on practice and playing!!

Archived