Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder

GolfSpy Barbajo

I had some help Hula, my friend held the camera on a tripod and I held the Tour X.  I really wanted one with the red graphics to show the contrast but it was a sunny day and there was too much glare.  I think you'd need very specialized equipment to get it locked onto a flag but at least everyone can see how clear the graphics are.  They are way clearly than other range finders that I've used and the option is great when playing in sunny or overcast conditions.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, you live in Sunny FLA.....Why were you wearing a sweater when you took the pics?  This is not good for tourism....you may scare some away.....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I had some help Hula, my friend held the camera on a tripod and I held the Tour X.  I really wanted one with the red graphics to show the contrast but it was a sunny day and there was too much glare.  I think you'd need very specialized equipment to get it locked onto a flag but at least everyone can see how clear the graphics are.  They are way clearly than other range finders that I've used and the option is great when playing in sunny or overcast conditions.

100% agree.  red read out is great in cloudy conditions OR when you shot a pin with a dark back ground.  Did you have instances that JOLT did not work when you shot a lag ????

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

@Foz - it was the one day that we've had where I could wear a sweater - last Tuesday - High was "only" in the mid 60's on my side of the Bay that day and it was blustery.

@Hula - I have had a time or two where I could not get a jolt looking for an intermediate target as well as from the sun into the shade or visa versa - since I'm an experienced Bushnell user I've learned that it's a matter of taking a step or two to the side and you're good to go again - it happens much less frequently with the Tour X than it did with the V3 - also Florida is very tough for glare and for deep shadowing latter in the day.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@Foz - it was the one day that we've had where I could wear a sweater - last Tuesday - High was "only" in the mid 60's on my side of the Bay that day and it was blustery.

@Hula - I have had a time or two where I could not get a jolt looking for an intermediate target as well as from the sun into the shade or visa versa - since I'm an experienced Bushnell user I've learned that it's a matter of taking a step or two to the side and you're good to go again - it happens much less frequently with the Tour X than it did with the V3 - also Florida is very tough for glare and for deep shadowing latter in the day.

Guess its a learning curve.  I played over the weekend and counted 5 separate times that jolt did not work, used my V3 and got the same "joltless" results.  It was a clear day around 75 degrees, 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

@ Hula I'm guessing that you have more elevation change to deal with than I do.  It's extremely rare for me to get a missed jolt - its far less than once a round.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@ Hula I'm guessing that you have more elevation change to deal with than I do.  It's extremely rare for me to get a missed jolt - its far less than once a round.

Played a pretty flat course. most elevation change , was +/- 2 yards.  Still gave me accurate readings though.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I didn't think the Jolt worked for intermediate targets, only on the flagstick.  Is that true?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I didn't think the Jolt worked for intermediate targets, only on the flagstick.  Is that true?

It works for Intermediate targets too

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

You don't get a yardage without the jolt.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks guys.

When you read the Bushnell info, it says:   "PinSeeker with JOLT technology provides the golfer with short vibrating pulses to give a tactile confirmation that the laser has locked onto the flag."  It doesn't say anything about Jolt with other targets.  It makes it sound like it "Jolts" when it locks onto a flag, but not anything else.  That would be handy knowing that when it Jolts, the yardage is to the flag and not the tree behind it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks guys.

When you read the Bushnell info, it says:   "PinSeeker with JOLT technology provides the golfer with short vibrating pulses to give a tactile confirmation that the laser has locked onto the flag."  It doesn't say anything about Jolt with other targets.  It makes it sound like it "Jolts" when it locks onto a flag, but not anything else.  That would be handy knowing that when it Jolts, the yardage is to the flag and not the tree behind it.

It gets "discomforting" when it does not jolt, makes you take a second reading to confirm the reading......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

All the reviews and photos I've enjoyed. Good job guys. But let me ax you something.... and be honest.

Would you actually shell out of your own pocket $500 (Golfsmith) for this range finder? I could but I didn't. Here's my comparison.... the Bushnell Tour X or the MG M400 for $119 (sale price in emails)

Yeah... sure, if I were given a Tour X I'd take it. Who wouldn't?

Let me make a simple comparison. The Tour X measures distances accurately. So does the M400. The T-X will vibrate. The M400 will not. The Tour-X has a choice of color in the viewfinder. M400 doesn't. The Tour-X has slope. The M400 doesn't. The Tour-X will measure other targets. So will the M400. The Tour-X is small and light. The M400 is smaller and lighter.  The T-X has a carry case. So does the M400. The Tour-X measures meters and yds. So will the M400. The Tour-X doesn't have a choice of colors. The M400 does. The Tour-X has 6x magnification. The M400 is 5x. T-X accurate to 1/2 yd. The M400 1 yd. The Tour-X retails for $500. The M400 is $119

It all boils down to this....

How important are the features you don't get with the M400 as compared with the Tour-X? If you are the one actually paying for the device are those features really worth $380 more?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with PJ that it is a lot of money for the differences.  The only difference that would be worthwhile for me would be the slope feature.  Here in the NW we have lots of courses that have significant elevation changes.  I am not too bad at estimating which club to use because I have had quite a bit of practice over the years.  However, when I need to make a decision about a club like on a downhill par 3, I also have to consider the ball flight that I will be using.  Reviewers have said that it works fine, but how do you set it up?  I can see where this feature might be handy.  

I haven't seen much about how this works because I haven't looked at any directions for its use (I don't have one with slope).  Do you have to input yardages for each club?  Would you have selected the same club if you didn't have the slope feature?  

All the reviews and photos I've enjoyed. Good job guys. But let me ax you something.... and be honest.

Would you actually shell out of your own pocket $500 (Golfsmith) for this range finder? I could but I didn't. Here's my comparison.... the Bushnell Tour X or the MG M400 for $119 (sale price in emails)

Yeah... sure, if I were given a Tour X I'd take it. Who wouldn't?

Let me make a simple comparison. The Tour X measures distances accurately. So does the M400. The T-X will vibrate. The M400 will not. The Tour-X has a choice of color in the viewfinder. M400 doesn't. The Tour-X has slope. The M400 doesn't. The Tour-X will measure other targets. So will the M400. The Tour-X is small and light. The M400 is smaller and lighter.  The T-X has a carry case. So does the M400. The Tour-X measures meters and yds. So will the M400. The Tour-X doesn't have a choice of colors. The M400 does. The Tour-X has 6x magnification. The M400 is 5x. T-X accurate to 1/2 yd. The M400 1 yd. The Tour-X retails for $500. The M400 is $119

It all boils down to this....

How important are the features you don't get with the M400 as compared with the Tour-X? If you are the one actually paying for the device are those features really worth $380 more?

I was Honest and said "at the $399.00 - $499.00 retail price point, the Tour-X will probably turn off a lot of golfers"

Minus a few features, both range finders do the same thing as far as measuring distances to objects.  Master Grip has the same problem with Range finders as they do with their golf ball line.  It is very hard to reprogram a seasoned golfer. Ask a golfer to pick between brands/products: Bushnell/MasterGrip   OR Titleist/C4, the results would be lop sided favoring the well known manufacturers.  With millions of dollars spent on marketing AND the reputation of performance, golfers will, at least majority of the time, go with products that they know...............

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I agree with PJ that it is a lot of money for the differences.  The only difference that would be worthwhile for me would be the slope feature.  Here in the NW we have lots of courses that have significant elevation changes.  I am not too bad at estimating which club to use because I have had quite a bit of practice over the years.  However, when I need to make a decision about a club like on a downhill par 3, I also have to consider the ball flight that I will be using.  Reviewers have said that it works fine, but how do you set it up?  I can see where this feature might be handy.  

I haven't seen much about how this works because I haven't looked at any directions for its use (I don't have one with slope).  Do you have to input yardages for each club?  Would you have selected the same club if you didn't have the slope feature?  

Kenny

You do not have to set up anything to use the slope feature, it is activated when the red face plate is installed.

You have to have to know what distances you hit your clubs in normal conditions.  For example:  I played a course down here (Cedar Creek) yesterday that has a lot of elevation.  Hole 13 is a long par 5 down hill all the way to the hole.  After vaporizing my drive  :) I used the Tour-X to shoot the pin:  222 yards after releasing the button and keeping it pointed on the pin I got a slope reading of 197 yards.   So instead of pulling out my 5-wood, I used my 5 iron instead.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Okay I have time to read and post in a meaningful way again.

@ PJ - It depends - I've tried range finders without jolt so I know that I need that technology or else the range finder is an unreliable instrument for me.  I don't care about the slope feature, take or leave, but realize that the ability to have the different color graphic is huge where I play.  Honestly now that I've tried the unit I would tough out another year with my V3 which works fine except when its very sunny with lots of glare.  Once the price of the Tour X comes down to $300 I would purchase it.  If you don't need the jolt, a quality range finder in the $100's would be a smart purchase.

@ Kenny - It jolts when it locks onto a target.  Because flags at most courses have a probe on them they are the most likely object for it to lock onto.  It is entirely possible to miss the flag and catch something in front of or behind it with any range finder.  The user should have some idea of where he is - the range finder hones that in to within a yard but you should know that you have somewhere between 165-180 - if you shoot and get 230 you know that something is up. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

After reading these great reviews I am definitely buying the Bushnell Tour X in the spring or if someone wants to surprise me on my birthday in February then that is great too....Love to colors as well

Steve Z

Archived