TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing "Alone" Doesn't Count Anymore Sez USGA

GolfSpy Barbajo

On Monday, the USGA announced that beginning Jan. 1, 2016 scores shot while playing by yourself are no longer acceptable for handicap purposes. This is a dark day for people everywhere with vanity golf handicaps. Here's an explanation of the new policy:

Playing alone and necessary peer review: To further support the key [uSGA Handicap] System premise of peer review, scores made while playing alone will no longer be acceptable for handicap purposes. This change underscores the importance of providing full and accurate information regarding a player's potential scoring ability, and the ability of other players to form a reasonable basis for supporting or disputing a posted score. (Section 5-1: Acceptability of Scores)

Sure, we all have friends who just happen to always play their best when no one else was there, but this new rule produces a lot of questions. First off, doesn't this fly in the face of the notion that golf is a game of honor? Aren't golfers supposed to be trusted to police themselves on matters like these?

And what happens if you're playing with people you don't know who aren't keeping track of your score? How does that factor in? Also, what if you happen to play most of your rounds alone? Maybe you play at odd times, or you have no friends. How is this rule fair to those people who need solo rounds to maintain an accurate handicap index?

The provision was the most significant of six changes made to the handicap system for 2016 that will affect the 10 million golfers who have an official handicap index. Well, that will affect golfers in theory. It seems like this will be difficult to enforce, so keep posting those "75"s weekend hackers.

Okay, so if you play by yourself a lot, it seems those scores won't count. Anyone have a problem with this? Is this badly needed or completely arbitrary?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't see this as being an enforceable policy.  Lots and lots of people post their scores online for handicapping.  I have never really been a favor of it but USGA allows it.  Where is the peer review in those scores being posted?  I can just see the question coming up now..."Did you play alone?" and it not letting you post if you answer yes.  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

I think that is a good rule. If you want an official handicap you need witnesses to your rounds.

It would also allow guys to go out and try working on things they normally wouldn't if they are to worried about it effecting their handicap. No real harm in my eyes.

One of the great joys of golf for me is going out and walking a round alone and not keeping my score. I enjoy the sound of the mowers, the birds, and my clubs clanging together as I walk and just think of my next shot not my score.

I keep score sometimes, sometimes not. I'm not interested in competitive play really so I don't need an official handicap. I know what I shoot on average, if someone I'm playing with wants a little Nassau game we can figure out who's getting strokes.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Is it April Fool's already?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I chalk this up to another thing that the recreational golfer shouldn't really care about.  This won't stop sandbaggers and who cares about vanity handicaps.  Personally I love them, it's like free money :)

It seems like the USGA is changing from golf being a game of trust and integrity to a game of kind of trust but verify.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Not really something they can enforce unless you have to turn in a signed card and the course has to review and post it for you. Also this doesnt bother me because when I play alone its usually for practice and I play 2-3 balls so I dont post a score anyway.

This does seem odd that this game is based on integrity and honor and this removes some of that from the game.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

For guys you guys that do keep a official handicap, do you now post all rounds? I mean do you ever play rounds you consider practice rounds and don't input for your GHIN?

I would think there are times you want to work on a certain part of your game and not have it go towards your handicap. Or say you are playing a round with your wife/son/daughter and it's almost more of a teaching situation where your round is instructional, teaching them something on the course.

It seems like the biggest reason for a handicap is for tournament purposes, so maybe only rounds with others with official handicaps should be eligible for entry for official handicap index. That way, rounds against other potential tournament opponents will be recorded, but rounds that are more casual aren't.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

While my wife and I keep our handicaps in GHIN, it is not for tournament play, although there are some events that come up now and then where a 'cap is needed; mostly scrambles for charity.  We keep our scores in GHIN to monitor our progress (or lack thereof) of our game.  I can do that by other means, but GHIN is handy.  Yes, I do play single rounds; sometimes I do it for score and other times I will play each hole, get to a spot where I want to practice a particular shot, and hit several shots.  This spot is where I usually end up when playing for score and I am trying to improve that shot.  These are purely practice rounds.

This change doesn't really affect me all that much since the majority of my rounds are played with my wife.  However, this might explain a recent change in the internet posting for my club.  New this past year on the GHIN webpage for posting a score, a question was asked if I played with someone from the club.  Saying YES brings up a menu of club members where I can select up to 3 members.  I can only assume that somehow the system validates that at least one person played the same course that I did on the same day.  It certainly doesn't cover people that are not club members, and I can always put down a member's name if I saw him at the course that day.

So many things to go wrong here in a vain attempt to fix an imperfect system that doesn't really need to be fixed.  There will always be cheaters, but there are ways to address them that should be enforced instead of this.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting, I see the purpose to curve sand baggers, but if golf is about "integrity" and "honesty"- I use quotes because I've found that not to be always true, then why require essentially a babysitter? The vanity caps don't really matter because it falls only on that player. Not the same issue as anchoring ban because you can use a long putter without anchoring right?

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

This would bring my handicap way up and when I get into tournaments I will look like a sandbagger. Almost every round I play is alone. I usually play a little worse with others because all my friends live in Minnesota and I'm in Wisconsin now so when we get together it's usually at a course that I have never played and lose some shots from not knowing the course. With my game I hit the ball far and usually have a few penalty shots when I don't I have great scores. So when I get to the tee and hit a bomb but tell people I'm a whatever handicap it is rarely believed. I don't have a vanity handicap I keep mark every stroke I take. If I hit a ball OB and didn't hit a provisional I walked back to the tee and hit again like i should no one is around I can just drop not count it but that's not true that's not my score. I want to be the best golfer I can be and back it up than just be a number on a card that isn't true. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I read this last night but I was home alone, so I wasn't sure if it counted as a rule or not.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I read this last night but I was home alone, so I wasn't sure if it counted as a rule or not.

Only if you try to use it in a tournament!

Speaking of which, I'm with the guys that only handicap for their own information, not for tournaments. I don't plan on playing in any, so the new rule doesn't really affect me at all.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Only if you try to use it in a tournament!

Speaking of which, I'm with the guys that only handicap for their own information, not for tournaments. I don't plan on playing in any, so the new rule doesn't really affect me at all.

Unless they figure out a way to keep you from posting in GHIN if you don't have a playing partner.  Personally, I don't see how they are going to do that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not sure what to make of this. I've tried for years to have our club post a score of even par when a validated card isn't turned in. I see it every week. Rounds are played and cards are tossed in the trash or left on a table. I keep a handicap for myself. Other than the Club Championship I've quit playing tournaments. (because I'm not in the championship flight) Pretty much all flights except championship are sandbagged. I keep my own score in our weekend game so when I get home I can enter my scores and stats in GHIN. Sadly, my club doesn't do a very good job of it if you leave your card at the pro shop.

We had a big discussion here last year sometime I think about entering your score in GHIN as a total of all strokes or by ESC. I use ESC. But I still think all strokes should be entered and not adjusted down just because of ESC.

This new rule wasn't very well thought out IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If it is to curb sandbagging, what keeps a guy from playing poorly on purpose while playing with a partner in order to get his handicap up?

I really don't see this helping much with sandbagging. Like you said one poor round in a group two or three rounds by yourself really trying to go low and do you best. Only posting one round a week when you played 3 or 4. For me it will be like one posted round a month and 20 rounds not posted which way really shows what my handicap should be? I could shoot lights out that one time a month or could shoot terrible sample size is too small.     

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

When I post scores (I don't know if it's different for others), I am asked if I played alone and if it is a tournament round.  I frankly don't see how this will affect me that much unless I'm asked to input the identity of the people I played with which will likely pose a problem if playing as a single on a public course.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

If it is to curb sandbagging, what keeps a guy from playing poorly on purpose while playing with a partner in order to get his handicap up?

The answer is absolutely nothing.  The biggest sandbaggers at my club all play together and unless it is a tournament can't break 85......but it is always a miracle when they shoot 75 getting 9 shots.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

With the ability of the internet and technology, this will be very difficult to police. And, they better talk to the clubs if they expect them to input the scores for you after the round. A lot of clubs staff generally act to busy staring at a computer screen and acting as though they are uninterested in helping the customer. Different topic...

If this is how the USGA plans to proceed, great. There is a reason I don't play for a living. And, just another reason there should be rules for professionals and rules for the ameture.

Husband, daddy, grandpa, RN, GOLF NUT!

I've read these comments and agree.  But, I think its ridiculus For me there are meany times I get out late  from work and can not get a partner to play with. And there are some times I ma working on my game so don't care but otherwise I am playing a serious game so I can put enough games together to have a honest handicap. If I didn't do this I would never have enough games in the system to even have good handicap.

And as ther are some tourneys I like to paly that require a handicap this ruling is a real handicap for me. I guess I can just list one of our members that I see but this doesn't live the idea of honor and honesty that is supposedly such a big part of golf culture.

And as mentioned how are they going to police it.  Remember a lock is only there to keep the honest honest. 

Richard father of 7 and ex army enlisted then officer. Love outdoors 

I'm amazed this was even possible in the first place.

In Europe, official handicaps are only calculated with official rounds submitted by a golf club. And in those rounds you'll always have a another person signing your scorecard and counting your strokes.

Every golfer has an official ID# and all golf clubs are linked to the same system, so even if you play somewhere else, the score submitted will be associated with your ID.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I play a lot of rounds while traveling, sometimes with friends/customers, sometimes with people I've never met, sometimes alone, and I post online.  I play by the rules, and post legit scores.  That's why my handicap stinks.  Am I supposed to get driver's license and SSN from my playing partners now?

I keep a handicap for two reasons:  1)  I play one tournament a year, with a friend in his member/guest, and a "verifiable" handicap is required, and 2) as others have noted, to track my own progress.

I'm not sure what the USGA is driving at here.  To cut down on sandbagging?  Vanity handicaps?  (Maybe they only want 800k entries into the U.S. Open next year, not 1.2M, LOLZ)

Personally I love those vanity handicaps.  If you have to give me two a side, but can't play within 10 of your handicap, you're my kind of pigeon.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Back at Steven - there was a time when that was the case here but it was a long time ago.  You and a witness signed the score card it was turned into at the clubhouse and either the pro or handicap committee reviewed your score before it was posted.

I can't even begin to tell you when that rule was changed, I just remember that there was a time when it was the rule 25 perhaps 30 years ago or longer.

If it were the case that we were going back to that sort of rule I'd see the point but we're not - the USGA is simply saying that you can't post rounds that you play by yourself - so I probably won't - maybe 10 percent of my rounds are played by myself no big deal.  Having written that there is no way to enforce this and thus it is ridiculously stupid - ultimately handicaps rely on the integrity of the players.  It's easy enough to know if your handicap is where it should be - ask yourself if you play to it about 1/4 of the time - that should be true if you are playing by yourself or with others. 

Up until this year I've always had both a GHN and a league handicap.  The GHN will include the normal things that we encounter in casual rounds including at times a give me that is overly generous or because I'm out of the hole and we want to move pace of play along (I follow the rule of trying to record what I think I'd make for that one.)  League is putting everything out, play everything down always -   Interestingly the handicaps would always be within a few hundreths of a point at season's end. 

I'm confident that my handicap is accurate and of late it's been up, up and away - I wish I didn't have to post some of the scores that I've been shooting.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We've had this rule for years. It's not a problem.

Look at it this way - you'll have less singles waiting to play through, and more people playing with others. Rounds can be faster, and you'll make new friends :)

Archived