Golf Ball Observations

revkev

Because its very much in play down the left side of number one the driving range at my club often has an interesting collection of balls in the bucket.  Just today I found a couple of Qstars, a Pro VIx, several mid line balls and then two balls that I wanted to comment on:

1.  The Wilson Duo - To me this ball feels like I'm hitting a marshmallow.  I know that there is this big deal among many about wanting the ball to feel soft - I don't like that feel - I prefer a nice sharp thwap when I hit the ball.  Frankly I don't even mind clicky off the putter - I want feedback.

2.  For the very first time other than in my own bag or after my own tee shot - I found a My Tour Ball in the mix and no it wasn't one of mine.  For starters I've yet to hit it in the range off of that tee and also this one was marked differently from the way that I would mark mine.  Of course now it means I'll have to start marking mine but it was great to see that there are some others out there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1.  Couldn't agree more on the marshmallow comment.  I played it last year at the end of the season when it got really cold and just didn't like the way it came off the face.  Lower compression may be the new rage in golf balls but I prefer hitting something that feels solid.

2.  Same thing here!  I've converted 5 or 6 of my regular playing partners to the Snell MTB so we all went back to putting our usual marking on them.

Quick side note.  We have a standing rule within our group of guys that if you find someones ball and give it back to them they have to buy you an adult beverage.  Come into play fairly often with the amount of tall prairie grass on our course and number of rounds we get in during the summer.  I got all excited looking in the right rough on #16 a couple weeks ago because I found a Snell and figured I'd be getting a beer from somebody.  Turns out it was my own ball and remembered losing it there a couple rounds prior.  Had to buy myself a beer :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Hope no one minds me posting this ball pic. I found this Wednesday. Never heard of it and couldn't find it on the web anywhere. It's got an odd 3-dimple design pattern. The ball also looks slightly smaller too. I'm guessing it's probably a non-conforming distance ball like a Polara or Condor.

I'm socked in today and probably the remainder of the weekend with nasty cold windy weather. UGH!!!

20151127_140137.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hope no one minds me posting this ball pic. I found this Wednesday. Never heard of it and couldn't find it on the web anywhere. It's got an odd 3-dimple design pattern. The ball also looks slightly smaller too. I'm guessing it's probably a non-conforming distance ball like a Polara or Condor.

I'm socked in today and probably the remainder of the weekend with nasty cold windy weather. UGH!!!

Found this...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pg-professional-golf-rogue-golf-balls-12-pack

Haaa... yep. I suspected Academy. I tried to go to their website earlier but a message said they were overloaded. You ought to get a box of them Hcky. They only $0.83 ea. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Today I played the test balls that I received from Titleist. A couple weeks ago. Now these were not the first sleeve of test balls that I got, but they came later. I have already commented for Titleist on the first sleeve(NXT Tours). This sleeve were orange numbers so the are a version of the Velocity ball. They hit very well, but, alas, there was no grab on the green. It was a casual round with two foursomes going at each other(mine lost 65 to 61 Stableford Points) I did book a 215 yd drive though. Now that is long for me.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

LOL a while back someone had some non-conforming balls called Bandit. We used to sell them in the golf store. Now this has been 10 years or so ago. We were goofing around a course one Sunday and my late partner wanted me to hit one with an Non - conforming So Long 500 CC driver. I was still fairly long then with legal equipment. fairly straight flat par 5. Hit 3 balls my best was around 330 or so but that was the only one I kept in the fairway. Combinatoin of hot ball and hot faced driver I had absolutely no control at all. My partner was all about selling the non-conforming stuff. We also sold those Polara balls. Talk about some funky aerodynamics. I  had a no name clone some type of 64 degree wedge with the grooves hogged out. I could hit a darn near straight up flopper with that thing hang time was unreal but what was so funny with the Polara ball it would change direction 3 times in the air and was no telling which way it would spin when hitting the green. Hilarious to say the least. But I will say one thing good about the non-conforming balls they kept some older guys in the game. We had a good customer whose Dad was about 80 and still played some and from what I understood was a good player back in the day. The old man was getting discourages about distance loss from even the red tees and thinking about giving up. I ended up building him a Non -conforming driver with a Senior A flex shaft really soft tipped at 13* and got him some Bandit balls. He enjoyed playing the game with his son for 3 or so more years until he passed. Non-conforming ain't all bad sometimes

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

An epic post Big Stu, seriously, the game should be about having fun. When we compete we must play by the rules but there should never be a rule against enoyment beyond the so long as you aren't ruining it for others caveat.

Thanks for the reminder.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the no conforming post Stu. I am sure you made the game more fun for both the old man and his son. I actually have a sleeve of the polar a ball in my garage, never opened. I don't have a slice issue so never needed to try them. Besides, most all of my games are in a foursome so I can't use the nonconforming stuff. Oh yeah, I also have a nonconforming driver from Powerbilt. Now that I have gamed for fun rounds.

Back to the ball, I tested the Wilson Duo Spin this year. Although it felt soft, I did get decent distance and spin off of it. I just didn't want to pay extra for it when there were other low compression balls already on the market.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Didn't Wilson release a larger ball many years ago? Seems like I recall that. Also didn't the Brits used to play a smaller ball? Other than a non-conforming ball I think balls are all standard size now. 1.68". According to the USGA a ball can be as large as you like as long as it conforms to all other specs. Who would want a larger ball? The hole is already too small. Right? LOL

When I was 17 it was a really good year, the R and A switched to the standard ball size that we are all accustomed to today.

I may be taking a bit of poetic lisence but it was in the early 70's that the change was made I think.

I don't remember the bigger ball but I'd be shocked if someone didn't try it. I do remember Wislon having a slot line iron in the mid 70's.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Found some. For women only you see. Heh!

Magna.jpg

PJ they also had a men's version of the Magma ball. Wheeew back in those days that large ball combined with the early metal woods really spelled disaster for me with that rope hook. No control at all. Yes back in the day there were the smaller European balls that were a tad smaller than ours were. They were non conforming for stipulated play here but legal on the European Tour and for the British Open. My old man knew someone over there and got them shipped here. Trust me they would go like stink in the summer on those dry hard Carolina clay fairways. Even though they were Balata they were hard to stop on a green though. If the gamblers were not playing the ball 'down" they would hit a small ball off the tee and then go to a big ball for their approach. I still have quite a few of those European sized balls. You had brands like Penfold, Dunlop 65 Spalding Dot and even Titleist. I think in the late 70s and early 80s the USGA and R&A respectfully got together and standardized the ball sizes

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

PJ they also had a men's version of the Magma ball. Wheeew back in those days that large ball combined with the early metal woods really spelled disaster for me with that rope hook. No control at all. Yes back in the day there were the smaller European balls that were a tad smaller than ours were. They were non conforming for stipulated play here but legal on the European Tour and for the British Open. My old man knew someone over there and got them shipped here. Trust me they would go like stink in the summer on those dry hard Carolina clay fairways. Even though they were Balata they were hard to stop on a green though. If the gamblers were not playing the ball 'down" they would hit a small ball off the tee and then go to a big ball for their approach. I still have quite a few of those European sized balls. You had brands like Penfold, Dunlop 65 Spalding Dot and even Titleist. I think in the late 70s and early 80s the USGA and R&A respectfully got together and standardized the ball sizes

I think it was in 1990 when the R&A and USGA standardized the ball.  I started playing in 1991 and I remember an old friend of mine saying that he had some Slazengers that were slightly smaller than 1.68" and they were better in the wind.  I never liked Slazengers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This may be a stupid question, and I've been known to ask them before.

Why do people write markings on their golf balls when they can just order them with their names printed on them?

Are you hiding from the police and reluctant to leave clues?

Once, on a busy weekday this summer, I played a round with a stranger who showed me a Nifty Niblick ball, completely unaware that I'm Nifty Niblick.  "Look at this ball that I found," he said.  "What's a Nifty Niblick?"

Occasionally companies run promo's for free personalization, but otherwise it costs extra and who wants to pay more for golf balls?

Also some companies don't offer personalization (like Snell) so no luck there if you play them.

Also I don't want text with my name on it, I wanted a smiley face.  So I ordered stamps and use those.

I also like to sharpie a line for putting, can't do that with text.

Plus a sharpie is just so easy and you can make it any color you want.

I played in a tournament a few years ago at the local country club.  There is a par 5 that runs parallel to a 4 lane street on the left with a cyclone fence and plenty of trees to help stop balls.  At the banquet after the tournament when awards were given out, they announced that they found a ball with certain markings on it (don't remember what it was).  The announcer held up the ball and asked if anyone knew who's it was.  A woman stood up and said:  "Why that's one of my husband's balls!"  After the laughter subsided, they announced that it was found on the other side of Kennewick Ave.  More laughter!!  

Moral:  Be careful what you put on your golf ball, or Fairways and Greens forever!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Are you hiding from the police and reluctant to leave clues?

Not the police, just the owner of the formerly unbroken glass,,,, :lol:

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I have some stamps I bought from Stampyourballs.com. I don't always use it but they are pretty unique. I have a spade, heart, and four leaf clover. And... I'd never order any balls with my name on them. Think about it.  :unsure:

I don't order golf balls with my birth certificate name on them either.

How many among us think that my sainted mother named me "Nifty Niblick?" 

Back in the forties, they waited for the drugs to wear off before they asked for a name.

How I got the nickname is a reasonably interesting story, but that's for another  time and thread.

I don't order golf balls with my birth certificate name on them either.

How many among us think that my sainted mother named me "Nifty Niblick?" 

Back in the forties, they waited for the drugs to wear off before they asked for a name.

How I got the nickname is a reasonably interesting story, but that's for another  time and thread.

Start a thread Nifty.  I'm interested.

I mark my balls because i get them much cheaper in a big box then ordering online. Marking them is a bit of a ritual as well, like cleaning my clubs after a Sunday game or for the old time hockey players bending the blade of your stick with a blowtorch.

That being said I looked at getting my Prov1x's custom made a few weeks ago. I couldn't figure out how to really customize them other than number or a mark, and for the ten bucks extra . I want the full deal. At that point, I just said screw it and went back to my system. If anyone knows the way to really customize the golf balls let me know, otherwise I'm good with my system.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived