Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

New Teacher

I took a lesson from the Pro at my club yesterday.  He's an old school guy but loves to use video.  I'm glad I went, I've been struggling of late and I think I'm going to like him.  Actually my issues are nothing new, club coming back too far inside leading to hooks, grip gets weaker to fight the hooks leading to blocks, more inside leading to a pronounced loop, difficulty taking a divot, chunks, thins, etc., etc., etc.  As he said my issue is one that he gets with less than 10 percent of his students and very fixable.

So its strengthen the grip, move closer to the ball, use the Corey Pavin over the top thing in my preshot and try to hit slices until after Christmas when we have our next lesson.

It was very ugly at first but by the end of an hour I was starting to hit some good shots.  No real divots yet though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's nice to have an independent look at your swing.  Glad you found someone easy to work with.  There isn't anyone around me that I would trust to work with my single-plane swing, so I'm doing it by video to my instructor.  I can send him as many videos as I want, he will analyze, send me an annotated video back using the V1 software, and in the video show and tell me what to work on.  Unfortunately, right now it's been below freezing for the past week and it snowed last night, so I haven't been doing any video.  I wish I had a place indoor to do this.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wow Rev, your problems sound familiar. I thought I was reading about myself. Eerily similar. Hoping for the best for you with the new changes.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Chances are that if you're a single digit player you've had some form of this issue.  I just let it get totally out of hand this time around mainly because I've been too busy to work it out properly.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Off in five minutes to my lesson.  Had made real progress, but its been three weeks since last lesson and I've corrupted the things I've been working on in last two rounds, got to get back to doing them correctly.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

How often are you going Jax?  My guy said once a month will be fine.  I'm interested in seeing what happens when I play tomorrow.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think I need to do it once a week.  I'm doing some major changes for me and there's a lot going on.  Today's lesson was very helpful as do getting the body and arms and clubs in the proper position, but I need the constant reminders of the things I forget concentrating on some of the other things.  I've got the swing path thing down, but still working on the backswing length, right hip forward/stability on the backswing and hands forward on impact.  

I think I need to do it once a week.  I'm doing some major changes for me and there's a lot going on.  Today's lesson was very helpful as do getting the body and arms and clubs in the proper position, but I need the constant reminders of the things I forget concentrating on some of the other things.  I've got the swing path thing down, but still working on the backswing length, right hip forward/stability on the backswing and hands forward on impact.

You're way too smart for me. We are just trying to get me back to where I was when I broke 40 on the front at Sawgrass.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played today - unfortunately I have had no time to practice since my lesson which meant that I had a totally confused swing - totally confused.  I started double, bogey, double and managed 40 on the front, went par, birdie, par, par, three doubles, birdie - well you get the idea for 40 on the back - I was all over the place but when the swing worked I hit some glorious shots, like bullets straight on target hardly a hint of draw - I hit a drive that went 256 which is a colossal poke for me.  I also had a chance to get home in 2 on 18 which was a 465 yard par 5 into the wind - I had 224 to the back pin, 211 to the middle, 199 to the front.  I laid up because there's a pond in front of the green and a trees that needed to be carried if I were to go for it - but I hit that drive 240 into the wind.

I was using another players G30 BTW - really liked that driver.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Chances are that if you're a single digit player you've had some form of this issue.  I just let it get totally out of hand this time around mainly because I've been too busy to work it out properly.

That's what I've been told (it's a better player problem), so... I'm still wishing to have that problem :-) It does happen occasionally, and it never used to (talking about the driver). In the past it was always right or further right!

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I guess it must not have been a defining moment... or you would have gone for it. :)

Not a chance, into the wind at sea level it would be going in the drink every time, no wind, I would have gone.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played today - unfortunately I have had no time to practice since my lesson which meant that I had a totally confused swing - totally confused.  I started double, bogey, double and managed 40 on the front, went par, birdie, par, par, three doubles, birdie - well you get the idea for 40 on the back - I was all over the place but when the swing worked I hit some glorious shots, like bullets straight on target hardly a hint of draw - I hit a drive that went 256 which is a colossal poke for me.  I also had a chance to get home in 2 on 18 which was a 465 yard par 5 into the wind - I had 224 to the back pin, 211 to the middle, 199 to the front.  I laid up because there's a pond in front of the green and a trees that needed to be carried if I were to go for it - but I hit that drive 240 into the wind.

I was using another players G30 BTW - really liked that driver.

Same experience, had the lesson, no practice, went out Friday double, double, par, double as I struggled to incorporate the correction.  Then 4 1/2 good holes where the swing and correction really worked, then 9 1/2 holes of struggling to remember/feel the swing.  Hoping for more consistent results Tuesday.  

When I have a lesson, I find it's better to only work on the lesson drills and forgo playing.  I know it's tempting to play, especially when the weather is nice, but when I don't play, the swing change happens faster.  If I go out and play, then I revert back to old habits because the new stuff doesn't feel right yet.  Now I have to start all over.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I have a lesson, I find it's better to only work on the lesson drills and forgo playing. I know it's tempting to play, especially when the weather is nice, but when I don't play, the swing change happens faster. If I go out and play, then I revert back to old habits because the new stuff doesn't feel right yet. Now I have to start all over.

This makes a lot of sense from my experience.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Much better today.  Did some living room swing feel work and a video practice session yesterday.  Much more natural feel in getting to the right positions.  Only had a couple of holes where I didn't execute what I was trying to execute.  

• 2 weeks later...

I get what you're saying... What helps me keep the hands forward at impact is aiming about 3 inches ahead of the ball for the start of my divot. I may not get max M.O.I., but seem to hit more consistent shots overall with very little distance loss. P.S. Love the username! Packer Fan For Life!!!!

If I aimed three inches ahead of the ball for my divot starting point I'd hit myself in the knee. :)

It is great how one swing thought will work great for one guy and not so hot for the next - such if golf.  What's working for me right now is trying to hit down and through the ball as if I were trying to hit it over the third base coaches head in baseball.  With that image my divot points nearly dead straight at the target and I'm hitting a little baby draw.  Watching video of my swing from my last two rounds the inside drop is starting to become less pronounced - I still need to get closer to the ball - I'm leaving way too much space to create mischief with.

Back to something the Kenny wrote a couple of weeks ago I would always forgo playing for a bit after a lesson if it weren't for the fact that some of my rounds are business (playing with a congregant) and thus should not be forgone.  I played with a winter visitor who was here from Michigan - I needed to do it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 1 month later...

Had a lesson today and made the mistake of asking how many guys have come in after shooting 72. He said not many but given that he teaches two LPGA players and the top junior girl in Florida they often come to him out of frustration after a few rounds in the low 70's. :). Put me in my place pretty good.

It was a great lesson. I've still got too much of an outside back, inside down move, back too steep in too shallow. He got me closer to the ball and folding my right elbow to help the back and then did a cool thing to help me get the swing steeper coming down. He had me pretend to take my driver back right hand only and then throw it at him as he stode down range to me left. I realized that I had to start with my left side to make that throw. After that I hit a couple of cuts with the driver and when he left I hit five perfectly straight seven irons in a row each with a nice, shallow divot going straight to the target.

For those who use only an electronic training device I'm wondering how you figure your corrections out? It's a serious question. I see how they would tell you what's wrong but even if they recommend drills there's the issue of getting into the right positions for the drills to matter.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Perhaps I missed it earlier Rev but what are you trying to correct/improve on? From the above post you described a loop at the top I think? I actually stood up here in my office and grabbed a putter and tried your simulation of throwing a club right handed. Yeah... I see what you mean. My left side gets it going. Simple. I like that.

I really enjoy it when I'm able take a lesson/coaching. Like your instructor....mine keeps it simple.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Perhaps I missed it earlier Rev but what are you trying to correct/improve on? From the above post you described a loop at the top I think? I actually stood up here in my office and grabbed a putter and tried your simulation of throwing a club right handed. Yeah... I see what you mean. My left side gets it going. Simple. I like that.

I really enjoy it when I'm able take a lesson/coaching. Like your instructor....mine keeps it simple.

Yes I've developed an inside loop, it's the extreme of what I fight, I like to hit high draws, if I'm not careful the move that promotes the high draw becomes a far too pronounced drop inside. You can play that way but there are so many moving parts and it's very hard to hit anything but a high draw.

By the end of this lesson I was hitting the ball very straight and could get it to go left to right if I didn't swing too hard. As Jim said I am going to hit draws but the goal is for them to be straighter with a more penetrating flight and also to be able to play a cut when I want one. We saw some real signs of that today.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Had a lesson today and made the mistake of asking how many guys have come in after shooting 72. He said not many but given that he teaches two LPGA players and the top junior girl in Florida they often come to him out of frustration after a few rounds in the low 70's. :). Put me in my place pretty good.

It was a great lesson. I've still got too much of an outside back, inside down move, back too steep in too shallow. He got me closer to the ball and folding my right elbow to help the back and then did a cool thing to help me get the swing steeper coming down. He had me pretend to take my driver back right hand only and then throw it at him as he stode down range to me left. I realized that I had to start with my left side to make that throw. After that I hit a couple of cuts with the driver and when he left I hit five perfectly straight seven irons in a row each with a nice, shallow divot going straight to the target.

For those who use only an electronic training device I'm wondering how you figure your corrections out? It's a serious question. I see how they would tell you what's wrong but even if they recommend drills there's the issue of getting into the right positions for the drills to matter.

Getting your downswing "steeper" is just a matter of when it steepens.

This guy flattened/laid off the downswing even more to start the downswing and steepened it very late. If you study his swing after 1942, you notice that that right arm throwing feeling as it follows the left side action.

ScreenShot2012-08-07at94042AM.png

Steeping the "plane" too soon and expect failure and frustration. Not to mention you will look like a monkey F'ing a football 

ptg-1p.png

Dont question the validity of my comments. If you think you can prove me wrong and you "got me", its only because I'm playing stupid and actually setting you up for a trap.

5b03a85f0bb400f20230b45ef4bad061.jpg

Welcome Henny

Trust me when I say I'm not Ben Hogan - don't have his athletic ability nor the time and devotion that he had to execute his swing.  I do have a great teacher whose students include some outstanding players.  So I'm going to trust that he's not going to mess me up. 

I do appreciate the caveat - thanks -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

So another lesson yesterday and a step closer to being spot on plane.  The best news is that my driver SS is up 3 mph since my first lesson.  I also 5 wedges from 85 yards that you could have put a blanket over -

I'm getting some really good moments right now.  I'll be playing twice next week so it will be interesting to see how much I revert when I have a lesson again in a couple of weeks.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The guy who first gave me lessons when I was a young kid also taught me how to read a racing form.

The last guy who gave me lessons used to get hammered with me afterwards. 

Between them was the LPGA teaching pro at the executive course who to my disappointment didn't have any useful vices, at least not where I was concerned.  Can't blame me for trying.

I took my share of lessons, but not a whole lot of good came of it.

I was self taught Nifty - but the Caddie Master where I caddied taught me how to read Racing forms and drink Malt liquor. :)

The first time that I took lessons was at the Jimmy Ballard Academy back in the 80's.  That stuck for a long time and was only honed when I had a class A pro at my last congregation who would give me lessons gratis.  I had such a simple swing at that point.  That got messed up about three years ago when I had pneumonia and chased distance as I came back rather than recognizing that I needed to get my strength back from the weight that I lost. 

I can tell that Jim is trying to get me back to that very simple one plane like swing that I had from the Ballard school days.  I'm all in on that even if it feels weird and often means some back tracking until it sticks.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

In the Ballard days it was pretty Moe Normanesque - this is more nuanced think Matt Kutcher - that's what we are going for.  Flatter back, steeper down because I was way too steep back and flat down crossing the line in a big way both directions - I could pull it off but it was very inefficient and hard to maintain. 

I've also picked up about 3 MPH of SS with the driver so far.  My ball flight looks totally different too - I'm hoping to hit the range today and again after church on Sunday before watching the Super Bowl - I play with KennyB and Foz next week Tuesday and then with some other friends who are coming in on Friday.  After that I may take another few week playing hiatus, two more lessons and lots of time on the range.  I really want this to stick.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Id be interested in hearing Jax and a couple of others working with teachers weigh in but something clicked for me literally on the driving range before the last round. I was suddenly hitting my irons a full club longer, perhaps even more than that. Longer, more penetrating almost no draw, with spin, just what we are shooting for. It was bizarre to see some shots karooming off the back or wondering if they would carry the trap only to have them hit pin high and go 15 feet past. Not a great way to score but really great fun for a change.

How about some of you others? Are your swing changes taking hold and have you adjusted fairly easily?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Id be interested in hearing Jax and a couple of others working with teachers weigh in but something clicked for me literally on the driving range before the last round. I was suddenly hitting my irons a full club longer, perhaps even more than that. Longer, more penetrating almost no draw, with spin, just what we are shooting for. It was bizarre to see some shots karooming off the back or wondering if they would carry the trap only to have them hit pin high and go 15 feet past. Not a great way to score but really great fun for a change.

How about some of you others? Are your swing changes taking hold and have you adjusted fairly easily?

For me each time I have gotten a new change down I tend to see more distance. I think it's because I'm transferring more energy efficiently so ball speeds go up ect ect.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived