TESTERS WANTED! ×

LEATHER 101

Ace of Clubs Golf Co.

leather-101-ace-of-clubs-golf-company_20

What is Genuine Leather?

We all see it everyday, a company claims that it only uses "genuine leather" in the manufacturing process of their goods. Of we notice the stamp on our leather goods that state that the item is genuine leather, top-grain leather, or full-grain leather. But what do these stampings actually mean? And is there that a difference between the quality of each leather type.

Whether you're buying a golf club head covers, a scorecard holder, or belt, you should know exactly what to look for in your leather:

leather-101-ace-of-clubs-golf-company-1_

FULL GRAIN LEATHER

Considered the most durable, expensive and highest quality grade of real leather is Full Grain. Full Grain is the top layer of the hide, and the only layer to posses the grain appearance.

TOP GRAIN LEATHER

The second highest quality grade of leather is Top Grain. Top Grain has been split from the top layer of blemished hide, sanded and refinished. Sanding is a common process that tanners use to rid the hide of scars, scrapes and imperfections.

GENUINE LEATHER

The third highest quality grade is Genuine Leather. Genuine Leather is produced from the layers of hide that remain after the top is split off for the better grades. The surface is usually refinished to resemble a higher grade leather.

BONDED LEATHER

The fourth quality grade of leather is Bonded. Bonded is referred to as such because it is made from the dust and shavings of other hide layers. These remnants are then collected, glued and pressed together to form a single piece of hide. The hide is then sanded, refinished and often times painted to resemble a piece higher grade leather.

But no matter what quality grade, you can be certain that any item made with real leather is made from the hide of an animal, and will produce a durable and long lasting item.

Now it's no secret that OEM manufactures in the golf industry almost exclusively use synthetic leather for their golf clubs headcovers, and other "leather" items. The reason for this is purely economical. Synthetic leather is much less expensive than real leather. However, this results in sub-par quality items.

scotty-cameron-ace-of-clubs-golf-company

SYNTHETIC LEATHER

Synthetic Leather is an artificial (man-made) leather. While this leather type may appear to look and feel like real leather, synthetic leather is of much lower quality than real leather. However, it is often used as a substitute for real leather because it is less expensive:

POLYURETHANE "PU" LEATHER 

Polyurethane Leather is made by coating a backing fabric such as cotton, polyester or shredded leather with a flexible polymer and then treating it to look more like animal hide. Polyurethane upholstery is the most realistic imitation of genuine leather, with respect to look and feel. 

VINYL LEATHER

Vinyl upholstery is made from two separate synthetic materials. The fibers of the upholstery are constructed from strong polyester fibers. The fibers are then coated with vinyl, and then melted onto the surface of the fibers, sealing them closed and making a virtually waterproof surface that is still flexible and tough.

CONCLUSION

Regardless of what material quality is claimed by the manufacturer, or stamped on the item, we hope that this article has provided you with some facts that will make you a better informed consumer. Or, the very least, be better equipped for your next leather purchase. 

CLICK HERE to view the original article. 

post-54443-0-07055700-1406684950.jpg

Great info Ace, I gave been buying belts lately and they offer full grain & top grain leathers. Now I know the difference.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice information Daniel.  Thanks.

Reminds me of Green Acres when Mr. Haney says:  

“Mr. Douglas….have I got a deal for you.  What I have here is a genuine imitation…(insert noun here)”.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice information Daniel.  Thanks.

Reminds me of Green Acres when Mr. Haney says:  

“Mr. Douglas….have I got a deal for you.  What I have here is a genuine imitation…(insert noun here)”.

Thanks Plano!

I will be putting up some more articles in the near future, and I hope that you find them interesting.

DP

post-54443-0-07055700-1406684950.jpg

Thanks Plano!

I will be putting up some more articles in the near future, and I hope that you find them interesting.

DP

I hope you didn't take my post wrong.  You certainly have great products.  The Mr. Haney quote was just the first thing that popped into my head.  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived