TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade M1 Driver review.

Fireinthehole

At he start of November I tried out the M1 and have not been able to shake of the infatuation. Then along comes a 50% trade in bonus from Golfsmith. There are a few things I love more than 50% trade in promotions!

So I went to try it out and took my R15 to see if it really was worth it. They set me up on a monitor. It read 98 Swing speed 4000 Rpms, I look at the rep and tell him that cannot be right, and he gives me the, "Yeah, OK budy," look and tells me to try the Regular or stiff shaft. I convince him to let me move to the next monitor and the first swing is 121, I look at him with a grin. I can only imagine what would happen to someone who doesn't know their numbers/ averages. Then again most golfers are liars...

20151212_154728.jpg

(Really like how it sets up to the ball)

I actually like the color scheme of the crown, I noticed a similar two tone scheme in other drivers even some that resemble this one. The matte white of the R15 was not really that hard to keep clean like some mention, but this looks a lot better. The bottom is different and easy to adjust, but I wish that Taylormade would include a booklet with information, cobra has the best in my opinion.

20151215_163253.jpg

(I actually like the black headcover over the R15's white.)

Now to performance! Did it blow the R15 away?!?!?!

Of course not! It performed better for me for sure. I got a little more distance than the R15, I had a higher launch and less spin, but It wasn't night and day. I did find it more forgiving than the R15 on some off center strikes. I also found it harder to work left more than right until I moved the weight back- until then it was nothing but power fades. Maybe it was all in my head- I don't know, but I am not moving it now. If you find the center of the face constantly and aren't 70 yards left or right I don't think you will see any difference between any driver really. The M1 is definitely not going to lead categories for forgiveness.

I like the way the club head feels coming into the ball at impact. The lower weight seems to help it move through the air better. I don't mind the sound- it is louder than the R15, but not obnoxious. When I had the weight that controls flight far forward it was a more muted sound. I also prefer the feeling at impact.

I ordered the M1 with a Speeder Evolution 757, but It was sent to me with a Fujikura Pro 73. I would have gone with the Motore Speeder VC 7.2 Tour Spec, but it was an up charge and I already had an extra one. I tried out the pro anyways, but I did not do well with it. It is a higher balance shaft and for whatever reason I have not done well with these in the past (Fubuki Zt in the Big berth alpha or the G30 tfc shaft).

Exhibit A: The heel hits are the Pro, the Center (excuse the toe hit) is with the Motore speeder

20151212_160152.jpg

20151215_163504.jpg

To summarize if you have an R15 or even the Fly Z+ and or hit the center of the driver/ have controlled drives, you probably won't notice a significant difference. It is a low spin machine to say the least (may not be a good thing for you) and compared to most of the other manufacturer there are more no up charge shafts. I say no up charge because at $500 I am sure some of the cost factors just that, then again you have many other drivers at the $400-500  with a very limited selection and or made for shafts (Not an argument against or for) - I tried the Cobra King Pro another low spin bomber, but it only came with the Rogue Black, tour blue/ green, did not like any of the Rogue's anyway, and the UST chromes.

I am very satisfied with the purchase regardless, it has been doing well in my bag. Though like I mentioned if you have an R15 it is not worth a $500 upgrade, but over the SLDR- I would be inclined to say yes (Though why not just get the R15 cheaper?).

*Should also note that I saw my favorite fitter and used the Tour Preferred Xs to further dial it in on a monitor- Get fit!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I really like the look of the m1 and would love to get fitted for one to see if it can beat my sldr. Maybe I'll ask Santa for that this year

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I really like the look of the m1 and would love to get fitted for one to see if it can beat my sldr. Maybe I'll ask Santa for that this year

Itd be interesting to see how the loft situation would play out as well. I used an 11* SLDR vs a 9.5 with this M1. Good luck- hope Santa is good to you!

My Mixed-Bag:

M1 is still on my list, but I just bought a King LTD head.  Also will be trying to F6+ and they are all trying to beat out my SLDR.

Nice to hear your feedback, sounds like something that could fit my swing.

I played 27 on a simulator today with the King and so far I can only say it's not bad.  It for sure wasn't any longer than the SLDR but it may be a little more forgiving.  I need to get on a true launch monitor and/or outside before I pass judgement.  I also think I need a different shaft with it, something that can bring launch and spin down a little bit more.

FWIW Cobra does offer several other no charge shaft options than just the Rogue and Tour Blue/Green.  

Cobra Stock shafts.png

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

M1 is still on my list, but I just bought a King LTD head. Also will be trying to F6+ and they are all trying to beat out my SLDR.

I played 27 on a simulator today with the King and so far I can only say it's not bad. It for sure wasn't any longer than the SLDR but it may be a little more forgiving. I need to get on a true launch monitor and/or outside before I pass judgement. I also think I need a different shaft with it, something that can bring launch and spin down a little bit more.

FWIW Cobra does offer several other no charge shaft options than just the Rogue and Tour Blue/Green.

Cobra Stock shafts.png

I have a fly z+ that still preforms well. I fear the ceiling is close to being reached unformatted. I felt the face was livelier than the king, of course you might find it feels different.

Yeah I saw those on the website and compared to taylormade it seemed more limited.

On the other hand the secondary shaft market (ebay) is always an option ;)

My Mixed-Bag:

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely need to demo this beast out at the local indoor range before the season starts

Hope it works for ya, or you find one that does.

Still rolling with mine even with the cold here.

My Mixed-Bag:

• 1 month later...

I've had my M1 about a month now. It has the solid feel of the TM Rocketball Stage 2, with the additional feel of ball compression on a good strike. I tested the other 2 stock shafts, the Silver Ti70, but chose the Fujikura Pro60, as that went higher and further on the GolfTec simulator. I chose the 9.5* head, but was disappointed on the course with the low ball flight and shorter distance, so I upped the loft to 11.5*. Now, when I really try to hit it hard, it goes over 250+, maybe 265 occasionally. My last driver was the Callaway XR in 9.5* with Project X 6.0; the XR good drives were 240-245 for me. Furthermore, the XR curved big time, and I was fighting a big slice. The M1 reversed my problem; I noww miss left more than right, so have to guard against a pull. This may partially due to increasing the loft closed the face 4*. I now have a hard time hitting my old standby power fade, I'm more apt to draw/hook it. However, the M1 just goes much straighter than the XR. I'll line up to go down the right side of the fairway, expecting that draw, which happens a lot, but many times I get the dreaded straight ball near the right edge. So the M1 goes further and straighter than my old driver--and that's a good problem to have. I am still learning to control it, but it was worth the investment. I hit it so far, I'm thru the doglegs on some holes from the back tees, on others I'm so long I'm past all the trouble and can go for the green. In the past I played mostly Cobra and Cleveland drivers, but TM impressed me with the stability of the RBS2, and the M1 feels the same.

Grip,

Glad to hear it's working out spectacularly for you! I think a lot people are jaded on Tmag and it isn't full of potential like say Nike but further proof you shouldn't limit your choices

My Mixed-Bag:

Fire, agree. I was biased against TM because I didn't like the RBLDZ irons or the SLDR. One day at GolfSmith, I hit all brands of drivers for 2 hours, ultimately deciding the RBS2 was the most stable thru impact. I played that about a year before going with the longer XR. My takeaway: one must actually hit a club before ones decides.

The M1 is making me play more aggressively. I need to aim for spots to cut off doglegs so I don't run thru the far corner. On par 5s I'm so long I feel obligated to go for the green in 2, leaving a half wedge. Yesterday I hit driver, PW, 9i just to have a full iron into the green. So it's definitely helped my game. I think the M1 is a technological breakthrough. I'm waiting for the USGA to declare it illegal.

Is it just me or maybe the angle is is the black part that projects out nearest the face crooked? Looks like it sets up closer to be square. I've seen that on a few M1's both in pictures and in person

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Is it just me or maybe the angle is is the black part that projects out nearest the face crooked? Looks like it sets up closer to be square. I've seen that on a few M1's both in pictures and in person

It does! I think it's cause the distance from the heel isn't the same from the toe.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think Theo was right on the button because it did look more closed than my older R15, but this is the 460 Id be interested to see the 430 side by side

My Mixed-Bag:

• 8 months later...

I took the M1 430 out today for the "maiden voyage". All things being equal, I'm straighter off the tee with this, and my longest drives, head-to-head, today were with the M1. I hit two drives that felt HORRIBLE off the face. I could tell they hit very high up. Well, they were LONG! Crazy. It felt like they would've gone 250, but both were well over 300. I was consistently between 290-301 all day and straight. The shaft is definitely lighter and that took a bit to get used to, but this looks like it will be in the bag for a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the head weight of the M1 460? I swapped my 430 for a 460 and it still feels very light compared to my gamer

Now it's time to add a weight!!!! Yes!

M1 is still on my list, but I just bought a King LTD head. Also will be trying to F6+ and they are all trying to beat out my SLDR.

I played 27 on a simulator today with the King and so far I can only say it's not bad. It for sure wasn't any longer than the SLDR but it may be a little more forgiving. I need to get on a true launch monitor and/or outside before I pass judgement. I also think I need a different shaft with it, something that can bring launch and spin down a little bit more.

attachicon.gifCobra Stock shafts.png

The F6+ is a terrible. Don't waste too many swings with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I tried the M1 vs my Nakashima again yesterday and the weight difference is drastic... Off center hits with the M1 are nowhere near as forgiving... I'll wait until the extra weight gets here to make sure, but looks like there'll be a mint M1 for sale here soon!

I took the M1 430 out today for the "maiden voyage". All things being equal, I'm straighter off the tee with this, and my longest drives, head-to-head, today were with the M1. I hit two drives that felt HORRIBLE off the face. I could tell they hit very high up. Well, they were LONG! Crazy. It felt like they would've gone 250, but both were well over 300. I was consistently between 290-301 all day and straight. The shaft is definitely lighter and that took a bit to get used to, but this looks like it will be in the bag for a bit!

Mook have you ever compared or had course time with the M2 driver?   I know a lot of folks have posted good reviews on the M1 however I was wondering for us senior golfer which would be more user friendly? Not saying you're an old man ....lol   Maybe an M1 with a 12 degree loft and regular flex could be pretty sweet.... hmmm

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Mook have you ever compared or had course time with the M2 driver? I know a lot of folks have posted good reviews on the M1 however I was wondering for us senior golfer which would be more user friendly? Not saying you're an old man ....lol Maybe an M1 with a 12 degree loft and regular flex could be pretty sweet.... hmmm

I actually liked the M2 better, but the M1 was more accurate for me. I'm not looking for a new driver, just had a chance to get one through work and try it out.

I actually liked the M2 better, but the M1 was more accurate for me. I'm not looking for a new driver, just had a chance to get one through work and try it out.

Had both m1 and m2 in the bag this year. Chose the m1 cause of its adjustability and the m2 I faded too much.

Weight arrived today, added it to the rear track. Overall weight feels MUCH better. We'll see!

Mook have you ever compared or had course time with the M2 driver? I know a lot of folks have posted good reviews on the M1 however I was wondering for us senior golfer which would be more user friendly? Not saying you're an old man ....lol Maybe an M1 with a 12 degree loft and regular flex could be pretty sweet.... hmmm

I would say the M2 is more user friendly, forgiveness wise. I own both and am using the M2. The center of gravity fits me better than the M1. Sound and feel is pretty similar between the two, but you might find a difference in that regard.

My Mixed-Bag:

Had both m1 and m2 in the bag this year. Chose the m1 cause of its adjustability and the m2 I faded too much.

Very interesting. I found the M2 was more draw biased than the m1 for me.

My Mixed-Bag:

Very interesting. I found the M2 was more draw biased than the m1 for me.

I'm surprised because in testings and fittings for me, I found both heads to be pretty fade biased.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

curious for feedback on this. Let us know after you try it out.

This driver is a whole new animal with the added weight. It was not very scientific, but after hitting on the range, I took my driver and the M1 out on to the course to go head-to-head. I hit drives with each driver using Srixon XVs with both. In the first four tries, I was straighter and longer with the M1, hitting all four of the first four fairways. Overall, the longest drive over the course of the 8 holes I did this was with my current driver, but I hit more fairways and hit more "longer" drives with the M1. The feel of my current driver just can't be beat, but performance is performance and my goal is to hit more fairways. Right now, after just one trial, the M1 is the winner. I'd like to get them on a launch monitor before I make the choice, but there's no doubt that the extra weight has helped.

Archived