Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Planning any Golf Trips for 2016?

PlaidJacket

Just got back from Mesquite - played Conestoga, Wolf Creek, and Falcon Ridge. Had a great time but the wind was blowing and had little rain. Wolf creek is tough enough with out the wind. A good time was had by all.

Got to play both Wolf Creek and Conestoga two years ago - seriously fun tracks!

Anyone have any suggestions for golf in Reno? Heading there in early June.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Got to play both Wolf Creek and Conestoga two years ago - seriously fun tracks!

Anyone have any suggestions for golf in Reno? Heading there in early June.

If you drive a bit into Tahoe you could play Edgewood. Pretty special course. Especially the last three holes and the milkshakes at the turn.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'll look into Edgewood. Also looking forward to Wednesday in Sac-town!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

I took a golf trip in April to the Fairfield Glad area in Crossville, TN. We played Heatherhurst Brae, Dorchester GC, and Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain. Fantastic value for the package. Eight of us with two villas and 45 holes of golf for less than $300 each. Courses were in fantastic condition and had some amazing holes that weave through the forested landscape. Definitely worth consideration if you are in the area. Bear Trace was possibly one of the most difficult courses I've ever played, but you would never know it until your making the turn pushing 50...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Annual OBX trip coming up,  Duck Woods, Sea Scape and Nags Head in this years rotation......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I took a golf trip in April to the Fairfield Glad area in Crossville, TN. We played Heatherhurst Brae, Dorchester GC, and Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain. Fantastic value for the package. Eight of us with two villas and 45 holes of golf for less than $300 each. Courses were in fantastic condition and had some amazing holes that weave through the forested landscape. Definitely worth consideration if you are in the area. Bear Trace was possibly one of the most difficult courses I've ever played, but you would never know it until your making the turn pushing 50...

I loved the Bear Trace in Cumberland!! It is a difficult course but I had a lot of fun playing it. That was about 15 years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I loved the Bear Trace in Cumberland!! It is a difficult course but I had a lot of fun playing it. That was about 15 years ago.

I would say it has held up well in that span of time. Some of the most misleading greens I've ever experienced. 

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Annual OBX trip coming up, Duck Woods, Sea Scape and Nags Head in this years rotation......

I love Nag's Head. Sea Scape was pretty good too.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I love Nag's Head. Sea Scape was pretty good too.

You and I both, I have a house in Avon, I go every year the week of 4th of July.  I play a couple of rounds in the Virginia Beach area too.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 5 weeks later...

Just had another trip for the year added to the itinerary.  Got an invite from RSM to be a guest at the RSM Classic.  Playing the Plantation Course on Saturday morning and the Seaside Course on the Monday after the event.  Never played in Sea Island and definitely looking forward to it.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I'm taking my girlfriend to Kiawah Island in July since she just got done with graduate school. We'll be 3 minutes from the Ocean Course. She offered to pay for me to play there (after I told her how much it was) but I had to decline because I thought it was the right thing to do. She's a saint. Hopefully by the time we get back she will be my fiancé.

Sent from my SM-G925V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Today me a 3 other guys are driving over to Abilene Texas to play Charles Coody's course. Diamondback. Played it a few times and it's an awesome track. It will only be 2 rounds. One today and another in the morning. We're all very competitive and there will be  many bets on the line.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have played Diamond back !!!!  I remember 2 things about that course.  It was a clear day, and some of the views !  I swear you could see 100 miles out !!!  and it was very windy and dry........ HAHAHA

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Our trip to Diamondback was great. Course was in the best condition I've ever seen it. And it's always been in very good condition in the past too. I didn't play as well as I expected but we had a great time. If any of you guys are ever in the area I highly recommend it. It's Plaidjacket approved.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I played 3 rounds in Myrtle Beach this last weekend and had a blast, but unfortunately every course in SC has recently aerated their greens. On two of the course, the ball rolled without bouncing but I felt like I needed to hit my driver to get the ball to the hole, when I was further than 10 feet out. The third course was like playing plinko. I'd just close my eyes and putt and pray my ball would bounce the right direction to get close to the hole. Other than that, the fairways were in great shape and the weather was beautiful. We played MBN King's North, World Tour, and Willbrook Plantation.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Going to Belterra in Indiana next month for 36 holes and gambling

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to CA in two weeks to caddie for my brother in a GOlf Channel AmTour event. We plan on playing 36 per day, a dip in his pool, and poker at night.

We are twins so we play each year for the "Twin Cup". I've beaten him 7 of 8 years, but this year might be tough. He's getting better and I'm getting worse.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Going to Pinehurst next month. Driving from PA- will play NC St. Lonnie Poole Golf Course before getting into Pinehurst #8, 4, 2, then 9 to cap off the trip. Thinking about 36 one day with a Pinehurst course paired with Tobacco Road.

If you never been to PH I'd highly... highly recommend playing Pine Needles & Mid-Pines. Those are two great - historic courses. Both Donald Ross designs.

They are like going back in time. I promise you'll be glad you did.

If you need other information send Dave a private message. He has a place there and knows the ropes. He made many recommendations to us a couple of years ago that were really helpful.

Going to Pinehurst next month. Driving from PA- will play NC St. Lonnie Poole Golf Course before getting into Pinehurst #8, 4, 2, then 9 to cap off the trip. Thinking about 36 one day with a Pinehurst course paired with Tobacco Road.

You have the best of the Pinehurst courses on your list, looks like a great time.  If you decide to play Tobacco Road, allow about 40 minutes to drive each way.  Like PlaidJacket says, MidPines or Pine Needles would be great plays, and much closer for driving.  Another one to think about for your "extra" round is the Dormie Club.

I'm sure you're staying on the Pinehurst properties, and the food and drink are going to be great.  If you need any suggestions for "off-property" restaurants, let me know.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Dave we really liked - a PUB you suggested. Can't remember name at the moment. We also ate at an Italian restaurant you recommended. Can't recall the name there either. LOL I have all the information in my PH file.

We all enjoyed both places.

Food included at Pinehurst, so really looking forward to that.

If you had to pick 1 round off site in the Sandhills region, where would it be?

Any thoughts or suggestions for Raleigh? Only really had Nc St earmarked because it looked like a long and difficult course compared to UNC Finley and Duke.

Dave we really liked - a PUB you suggested. Can't remember name at the moment. We also ate at an Italian restaurant you recommended. Can't recall the name there either. LOL I have all the information in my PH file.

We all enjoyed both places.

I'd bet the pub was either Maxie's, in Pinehurst itself, of the Sly Fox in Southern Pines.  

Food included at Pinehurst, so really looking forward to that.

If you had to pick 1 round off site in the Sandhills region, where would it be?

Any thoughts or suggestions for Raleigh? Only really had Nc St earmarked because it looked like a long and difficult course compared to UNC Finley and Duke.

drewneddy, even though your food is included in your Pinehurst package, you still may want to visit a bar or two while you're in town.  I do like Maxie's, its maybe a 10 minutes walk from the center of the village, past the Manor Inn and kind of behind the Cadillac dealer.  Another place you should really stop in is the Pinecrest Inn, once owned by Donald Ross.

My favorite golf course in the area is MidPines.  Other's I'd consider are Dormie Club or Tobacco Road.

Coming down from Raleigh, you could play at Keith Hills in Lillington.  I haven't played there for years, but I remember it as being a very solid course.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Maxie's and Sly Fox. That's the ones! I'd recommend them as well. We also had breakfast at the Pinecrest Inn one morning. I loved everything about the area. Good golf, good food, good people.

One day we had lunch at Pine Needles after our morning round then went across the street and played Mid-Pines. I walked around the facilities at Mid-pines a bit and it's really cool too. Quant - charming. (So is Pine Needles) Went into the men's locker room and you'd expect to see Donald Ross in there. It's old and restored. Really a cool thing.

I'll be back. Sooner rather than later if possible.

Tobacco Road is worth the drive......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Tobacco Road is worth the drive......

I agree, I always enjoy Tobacco Road, and its totally unique for the area.  But as a candidate to fill in a 36-hole day, the 90-minute round trip driving moves it down the list a bit, at least for me.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I agree, I always enjoy Tobacco Road, and its totally unique for the area.  But as a candidate to fill in a 36-hole day, the 90-minute round trip driving moves it down the list a bit, at least for me.  

Drive down there, play Tobacco Road, THEN Tot Hill farm.  to make up for the 90 minute round trip////

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Drive down there, play Tobacco Road, THEN Tot Hill farm.  to make up for the 90 minute round trip////

Hula, I think maybe you missed the original post.  He's looking for a course to play, paired with one of his rounds at Pinehurst.  Besides, Pinehurst to Tobacco Road to Tot Hill Farm and back to Pinehurst is over 2 and a half hours driving!

What might make the best sense is to skip golf around Raleigh, and play Tobacco Road on the drive to Pinehurst.  Then they could play one of the closer courses to make a 36-hole day when paired with one of the rounds at Pinehurst .

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

TotHill Farms is intriguing. I've looked into it before. Same designer as Tobacco Road and Caledonia? (Stantz?)

But the Raleigh golf is more a throwaway 5hrs before I pick my buddies up at the RDU airport. So that's why I was thinking Lonnie Pool (NC ST). Would like to see the course and the facilities in the a.m then like a 20min drive to the airport.

TotHill Farms is intriguing. I've looked into it before. Same designer as Tobacco Road and Caledonia? (Stantz?)

But the Raleigh golf is more a throwaway 5hrs before I pick my buddies up at the RDU airport. So that's why I was thinking Lonnie Pool (NC ST). Would like to see the course and the facilities in the a.m then like a 20min drive to the airport.

Aahhh, golf right around Raleigh makes a lot of sense then, and I really can't help.  I actually went to grad school at NC State, but a whole lot has changed since I left, including a complete re-build of UNC's Finley, and construction of the NC State course.  

Tot Hill Farm is indeed designed by Mike Strantz, who did Tobacco Road, True Blue, can Caledonia, among others.  I've played it just once, and found to be similar in a lot of ways to Tobacco Road.  Lots of visual intimidation, lots of risk/reward, and pretty severe in spots, but with a lot more room than it looks like in other spots.   Where Tobacco Road is all sand, Tot Hill Farm has a lot of exposed rock. If you enjoy that kind of challenge, try to get to one or the other, or even both.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived