TESTERS WANTED! ×

Home Putting Green

So winter is finally upon us northern states. I was wondering what was everyone's opinion on best home putting greens for average guys looking to spend less than $200? So I can do some Indoor practice over the winter. Currently i have a roll up felt like green my brother got me a few years ago, but it is nowhere near course greens. I was looking into Birdieball greens because you can get different stimp ratings and they have a bit of a grain to practice different speeds.

Also what are your favorite drills for home winter practice?

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I'm currently finishing up my build of an indoor putting green. I bought the tee time carpet(probably faster than normal speeds). And laid it on to of Styrofoam boards I also bought. I need to put my holes in tonight but I should be done by the weekend. And favorite drill is the gate drill. I don't know how to post pictures or I'd post them up. Total cost to date is $75 for a 6'x16' setup

2nd vote for Birdieball here.  One of the best bang for your buck greens out there.  

My only complaint is that the ball doesn't stay in the hole if you are using it on a hard surface.  The mat is only about 1/2" thick so the ball bounces right now.  

Would be an easy fix to build some sort of base that raises it up, but I haven't had the time or inclination to do that yet.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

3rd for Birdie ball. I got the full 1inch version, but the ball still pops out. When I lay it on carpet and take out the plastic cups, the ball stays down better. Other than that, it's pretty nice to have at home.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I have the 3x14 dual speed birdieball green and I love it. It told true and there is a definite difference in the speeds.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I'm interested in a BB green. Do they unroll, relax, and lay flat? Without waves in it?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yeah it takes a few minutes if it's been rolled for awhile.

Snell MTB-X

I'm interested in a BB green. Do they unroll, relax, and lay flat? Without waves in it?

for the most part. Mine is behind my couch right now. There's no waves on the important parts only on the very far corners for me.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

for the most part. Mine is behind my couch right now. There's no waves on the important parts only on the very far corners for me.

Agreed.  Since the weather has been so miserable and we can't play, I unrolled mine yesterday.  The middle is flat; the ends wanted to curl up; put weights on the ends.  Today, it's fine.  I also got the chipping mat and it works great; you can do more than just putt.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You guys don't have the rubber pieces with the clear plastic stops that attach to the end of the green. It hold the end flat and keeps the balls from rolling off the end

Snell MTB-X

You guys don't have the rubber pieces with the clear plastic stops that attach to the end of the green. It hold the end flat and keeps the balls from rolling off the end

I do have them.  I just didn't put them on.  After a day with light weight on the ends, they are pretty flat.  I'm space challenged; I have it set up in my wife's photo studio so I have to pick it up when she needs the space.  If I were going to leave it out for extended periods, I put those on.  The clear plastic strips work OK for putts, but don't always work for my chips.   :blush:   I use an empty cardboard box at the end to stop them.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

They don't take up any extra space and take only a few seconds to put on. What size green do you have?

Snell MTB-X

I know they don't; I was just lazy.  I only have the 9'; most rooms are small and crowded. When I add the chipping mat, it takes up 12'

Haha oh ok. I have the 3x14 and then I have the Perfect Pitch may also. Mine is set up in my garage all year.

Snell MTB-X

My wife thinks her car should go in the garage, and I think my Honda VTX 1800 also goes in the garage.  

She has a 2000 sq. ft. building that she uses for her photo lab business, but it's full of crap/equipment.  There is one big room, that if it were cleared out, it would make a nice putting area, but she won't give it up; it's her studio.

My wife thinks her car should go in the garage, and I think my Honda VTX 1800 also goes in the garage.  

She has a 2000 sq. ft. building that she uses for her photo lab business, but it's full of crap/equipment.  There is one big room, that if it were cleared out, it would make a nice putting area, but she won't give it up; it's her studio.

I have a one bed apartment. It's quite small so I can't have it on the ground all the time. Instead I pull it out every once in awhile to practice. Problem is the green around here are much much slower.

I have a one bed apartment. It's quite small so I can't have it on the ground all the time. Instead I pull it out every once in awhile to practice. Problem is the green around here are much much slower.

Our house is too small to have this putting green.  That's why I set it up in my wife's business, but I have to roll it up from time to time when she needs the space.

My old course had very slow greens, so using the BirdieBall green was not very helpful.  (I didn't get the slow green speed.)  However, my new course this year has relatively fast greens, and I think the BirdieBall green is pretty close in speed.

Our house is too small to have this putting green.  That's why I set it up in my wife's business, but I have to roll it up from time to time when she needs the space.

My old course had very slow greens, so using the BirdieBall green was not very helpful.  (I didn't get the slow green speed.)  However, my new course this year has relatively fast greens, and I think the BirdieBall green is pretty close in speed.

the greens around Yuma are either shag carpet or meh. I got the private course and that is at least 2-3 more than the stimp around here. In NJ it would probably be on the fast end of normal.

• 1 month later...

Late reply here...but you guys should give BigMoss a try, i think it's much more realistic than birdieball.....ball stays in the hole too.    Great customer service too, when I bought mine, I submitted a question on their website and the owner emailed me, gave me his cell # and talked to me for like 20 mintues just about golf in general...gave me a sweet deal too........11' x 4' for $200 shipped

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I bought a 2 yd x 2" metal measuring stick at Lowe's, it has a small hole in one end so you can place the ball in it and it won't roll off. This might not be exactly what you're looking for but I have found it to be the best indoor putting aid I've tried. It definitely gives you good feedback on how well you're rolling the ball because with any slight mishit, the ball won't make it to the end. I think it was under $20 and it has improved my short putting immensely.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

• 3 weeks later...

When my cellar floor was poured I had placed 3, 4" pvc pipe pieces in the floor for golf cups and 1, 3" cup also. I put down indoor outdoor carpet before the pool table was put in. We used to have a family 9 ball pool tournament and putting championship every new years day.The carpet did get quite worn and fast so I added a couple of new pieces.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Archived