TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Hogan PTx Irons- New Pic!

deejaid

This image of the new Ben Hogan PTx irons has popped up on the PGA Show website. http://www.pgashow.com/en/My-Show-2016/Companies/Exhibitors/Company-Content/?coId=85328

As someone that has gamed Hogan irons in the past and loves a clean, classic look, I can't wait to give these iron a try!

image.jpeg

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh myyyyyy.....

I think I may need a moment alone.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Very nice!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I see me spending some coin with Hogan this year. Interested to see the hollow utility irons as well to replace the 22* and 26* in my bag.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Those are nice but I think I prefer last year's. Although I can see where they got the looks from. Looks very hoganesque.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Love em! They make me think of the first set of Hogan's I had when I began playing.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I agree with undershooter on the aesthetics, last year's model design was a head turner for me, top 5 for looks ( yes performane trumps all, but aesthetics are important too) The sexiest irons I think I've ever seen are the new Mizzy MP-5.

Not that I'm in the market, But with this new model for Hogan, any price drop on the FW 15s??

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I agree that the Fort Worths look better. But these new PTx irons aren't a replacement for the Fort Worth's, they are a new game improvement model. Looks to be hollow heads similar to the new Titleist T-MB's.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I agree with undershooter on the aesthetics, last year's model design was a head turner for me, top 5 for looks ( yes performane trumps all, but aesthetics are important too) The sexiest irons I think I've ever seen are the new Mizzy MP-5.

Not that I'm in the market, But with this new model for Hogan, any price drop on the FW 15s??

I'd like to build onto what Casey said and add that aesthetics can sometimes make a difference psychologically. If I look down at a club and like what I see that little bit of positive feedback can make a big difference in how I feel about the shot I'm going to plays. Having said that I think Hogan is doing a great job so far with the looks AND performance of their gear and I can't wait to see these in person!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

I agree that the Fort Worths look better. But these new PTx irons aren't a replacement for the Fort Worth's, they are a new game improvement model. Looks to be hollow heads similar to the new Titleist T-MB's.

Good to know, thanks.

I'd be interested to try these side by side with the FW-15s and my JPX 800 PROs. I've read the FW-15 feel different than most others ( in a good way) and if the PTx is a GI version, I wonder if Hogan was getting feedback that the FW-15 was too hard for some people. I hope they expand their ability to demo, as I've never gotten a chance to see any Hogan sticks, even at "America's largest demo day" at Haggin Oaks in Sacramento.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I like em'. Wish they'd just sell heads to those that wanted to build their own.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

It's taken me a while but finally figured out why I like the looks of these so much....

Hogan new.jpg  1981_hogan_apex_ii_key2.jpg

Digging' the homage to the 1981 Hogan Apex II irons...

Nice touch!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sort of a cross between the old Apex II and the not quite as old Apex Plus...

1981_hogan_apex_ii_key2.jpg

apex_plus_large.jpg

Gamed an used set of Apex Plus irons about 3 years ago. Still kick myself for getting rid of them...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Exactly! These are more likely the ones that most of us should be looking at.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

They are very appealing to the eye.......but I like the Ft Worth's a bit better.  Will be interesting to see how they play.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It's taken me a while but finally figured out why I like the looks of these so much....

Hogan new.jpg 1981_hogan_apex_ii_key2.jpg

Digging' the homage to the 1981 Hogan Apex II irons...

Nice touch!

good set to emulate

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Great move by Hogan. One line only and having them be true blades was a terrible idea in my opinion. Hopefully this set isn't arriving too late!

They always intended to add another line they just haven't gotten to adding it till now. They're still a relatively small company compared to Nike and Titleist so they don't have quite the same resources and having multiple lines out takes a lot of work and money, so I think they were wise in choosing to gradually expand the product line instead of going all in.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

There's one thing bout the Hogan (PTx / FW-15 / TK-15) clubs that's actually economical. By dumping the arbitrary club numbers, they allow the player to choose antique hickory shaft loft increments.

driving iron: 22º

mid iron: 28º

mashie: 34º

mashie-niblick: 40º

niblick: 46º

wedge: 52º

sand iron: 58º

Add two woods, a putter, and you're good to go with ten clubs. Hold it at the end or grip down a half-inch.

When people figure this out, the other OEMs are going to be pissed.

Any pics for the FW 15 hi irons yet? I almost pulled the trigger on FW15s last year but decided to wait another year. I still game 1999 Maxfli Revolution irons if you can believe it (took about 10 years off of golf with only a few rounds per year so they are still in good shape), but I have never gamed a fitted set of irons before. I would be interested in a mixed set of FW15 hi, PTx, TK wedges.

There will probably be a lot of photos after the PGA product show at the end of the month.

PS - Anyone else still have a set of Revolution Irons?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Any pics for the FW 15 hi irons yet? I almost pulled the trigger on FW15s last year but decided to wait another year. I still game 1999 Maxfli Revolution irons if you can believe it (took about 10 years off of golf with only a few rounds per year so they are still in good shape), but I have never gamed a fitted set of irons before. I would be interested in a mixed set of FW15 hi, PTx, TK wedges.

There will probably be a lot of photos after the PGA product show at the end of the month.

We had a couple of pix in an older thread -- click HERE to check it out, along with an outline of Hogan's plans for 2016.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That's just a cruel teaser Barbajo!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

As far as older sets go I still got a set of Wilson fat shaft 2 irons I'll play with whenever I feel like my game is out of wack. Always seemed to help me find my rhythm again for some reason, strange how sometimes that's all it takes to get your grove back but I guess that's just golf.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

I've got a set of Revolution Black Dots as my backup irons.  1i - SW :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Sort of a cross between the old Apex II and the not quite as old Apex Plus...

attachicon.gif1981_hogan_apex_ii_key2.jpg

attachicon.gifapex_plus_large.jpg

Gamed an used set of Apex Plus irons about 3 years ago. Still kick myself for getting rid of them...

Is this what they looked like?  This is an Apex Plus 7 iron.

IMG_2817.JPG

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Is this what they looked like?  This is an Apex Plus 7 iron.

I remember when the Hogan Apex Plus came out. I didn't buy but I thought they looked beautiful. When Hogan relaunched last year... I knew it was sign.  :wub:

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Archived