Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Handicap Adjustment--Competition from different tees

I still can't convince out group of this rule. It doesn't bother the low hcp guys since we pay out 2 low gross and 2 low net, but for guys like me in the middle, I can't get in the money for gross and since I am giving up an extra 2 strokes the high clappers I can't in the money here either.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I had the misfortune of being Handicap Chair for a couple seasons at my club. The mixed​ tee issue was a pain. The guys who perceived they we're losing strokes never could get it, or didn't want to. It's just the difference in course rating in a group that plays from mixed tees. That's it. You could also move back to the tips and gain the extra shots but nobody ever wanted to do that. The argument was always "I'm an X from the white tees so I should be allowed X from the white tees." One day we moved everyone up to the whites so nobody had to lose extra shots and the same guys howled that wasn't fair either. The only fair thing to do was to give the guys who complained all their shots, and move them up, and let them pick their partner, and give them Mulligans and gimmes, and make sure they won. That was fair. Anything else was total BS. It was exhausting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I still can't convince out group of this rule. 

I had the misfortune of being Handicap Chair for a couple seasons at my club. The mixed​ tee issue was a pain. The guys who perceived they we're losing strokes never could get it, or didn't want to. It's just the difference in course rating in a group that plays from mixed tees.

You'd think that seeing the rule in the rule book would convince people that this is the right way to do things, but many (most?) people are pretty ignorant of just how a handicap is calculated.  Without that understanding, the idea that a player from a short tee gets less than his full strokes when playing someone on the longer tees is going to seem unfair.  Once they've decided that its unfair, they have no interest in learning the mechanics.  At some point, the only way to do things right is simply to ignore the people why don't have the appropriate knowledge of the system.  "We're going to run this event in accordance with the USGA Rules and the USGA Handicap Manual".   I know, easier said than done.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You'd think that seeing the rule in the rule book would convince people that this is the right way to do things, but many (most?) people are pretty ignorant of just how a handicap is calculated. Without that understanding, the idea that a player from a short tee gets less than his full strokes when playing someone on the longer tees is going to seem unfair. Once they've decided that its unfair, they have no interest in learning the mechanics. At some point, the only way to do things right is simply to ignore the people why don't have the appropriate knowledge of the system. "We're going to run this event in accordance with the USGA Rules and the USGA Handicap Manual". I know, easier said than done.

We did, and it was lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

You'd think that seeing the rule in the rule book would convince people that this is the right way to do things, but many (most?) people are pretty ignorant of just how a handicap is calculated. Without that understanding, the idea that a player from a short tee gets less than his full strokes when playing someone on the longer tees is going to seem unfair. Once they've decided that its unfair, they have no interest in learning the mechanics. At some point, the only way to do things right is simply to ignore the people why don't have the appropriate knowledge of the system. "We're going to run this event in accordance with the USGA Rules and the USGA Handicap Manual". I know, easier said than done.

We don't play a high dollar game so it's not really a huge deal, but for us middle of the road guys it's tough to win either in the gross or the net. We usually have to shoot low 70's to get in the net game, and we rarely if ever sniff anything from the gross game.

I'm glad you did because I brought this up to the captain of my team in my new league and now everyone hates our team. But it was a joke. I lost a match to a guy a couple of weeks ago who had wedges into every green because he happens to be a couple of years older than me and can play up. He only moved up because he was tired of loosing to guys for the same reason.

At any rate my loss has been adjusted to a win and our team is now in playoff contention.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm playing an "Easy Course" MGA tourney this weekend that is set up from the ladies tees. Typical par 72 that I'd personally rate at 63/64. But I _really_ hope they don't have me listed as a +9...

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

In Australia, we have "slope rating". It is set by the difficulty of the tees the comp uses. Your handicap ✖️the slope rating 113 (neutral slope rating) is your daily handicap.

For my home course the slope rating is 127. My handicap is 16.1. (16.1 ✖️127 113) My daily handicap is 18.

In Australia, we have "slope rating". It is set by the difficulty of the tees the comp uses. Your handicap ✖️the slope rating 113 (neutral slope rating) is your daily handicap.

For my home course the slope rating is 127. My handicap is 16.1. (16.1 ✖️127 113) My daily handicap is 18.

We use the same here. We use an app that calculates everything for us, but the math is the same.

The adjustment comes from 2 people playing from different tees and using hcp. The slope rating is the differential that should be used to even ou he match. So if you have the white tee at 69.5 and the blue tees at 71.2 the difference is 1.7, rounded to 2. If player A gets 12 shots from the white tees and player B gets 4 shots from the blue tees, the slope difference of 2 is subtracted, so player B gives Player A 6 stokes instead of 8. Our men's group doesn't do this, so we give away 2 shots to all the guys that choose to play the white tees.

We use the same here. We use an app that calculates everything for us, but the math is the same.

The adjustment comes from 2 people playing from different tees and using hcp. The slope rating is the differential that should be used to even ou he match. So if you have the white tee at 69.5 and the blue tees at 71.2 the difference is 1.7, rounded to 2. If player A gets 12 shots from the white tees and player B gets 4 shots from the blue tees, the slope difference of 2 is subtracted, so player B gives Player A 6 stokes instead of 8. Our men's group doesn't do this, so we give away 2 shots to all the guys that choose to play the white tees.

We have a website that you can calculate your handicap. At my club you can login to the handicap system and a card prints off for you. It tells you how many shots you get for each hole and the precise distances for the day. At the end of the round, you scan your card into the system and enter into the comp and add the round to your handicap.

- Flynn

We have a website that you can calculate your handicap. At my club you can login to the handicap system and a card prints off for you. It tells you how many shots you get for each hole and the precise distances for the day. At the end of the round, you scan your card into the system and enter into the comp and add the round to

- Flynn

Stupid phone. It's all messed up. I'll try again later

Archived