Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

What part of the ball do you look at?

Interesting topic. Once I am aligned for my shot, I look at the top of the ball. Once I get to the top of my backswing, I actually don't look at the ball anymore...i.e. Henrick Stenson and Annika Sorenstam.  When I do happen to watch the spot on my ball all the way thru the shot, I tend to hit it fat.

M1 Tensei Blue

Epic 3w Rogue Sliver

Titleist 3 iron C-Taper

Callaway MB C-Taper 

Cleveland RTX 2.0 C-Taper 

Rife Raider X 

TM TP5

I think it's Bill Haas, that made an adjustment, that now has him releasing his head through the swing before contact.

[thquote name=RoverRick" post="188051" timestamp="1452484763]

I have been giving this a lot of thought and fear that at impact, I am not looking at the ball at all.

This may well be why my miss is to pull the ball way left. I am releasing my head too early.

I did not play this weekend (actually did not even leave the house other than to slip outside to hit some balls) but did notice that I look at the ball until my hands are almost back where they were at address, but by the time the club makes contact, I am looking up to find the ball.

Even so, if I keep my head back I hit it great, if I let my head drift forward, I pull hook the ball, but either way I seem to make solid contact not looking at the ball.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I spent some time hitting 9 iron and chip shots Sunday about 80 shots. When I look about an inch in front of the ball I strike the ball much better.  On chips shots I never chunked a shot looking in front of the ball. Actually that surprised me 

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I am so right eye dominant I have to look at the back. My driving suffers because I will turn my face to the ball so I have to be alert to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I generally look at whatever part of the ball I can see sticking out of the rough.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'm going to attempt to describe what part of the ball I look at. 

I don't look at the ball but rather the space where the the ball is. :huh: Instead of focusing my vision on the actual ball (ie: focusing on a dimple or a certain half/quadrant of the ball) I adjust my focus to the level of the ground. So, the easiest way to put it is that whenever I am about to hit a shot my eyes are pointed at the ball but focused past the ball onto the ground. I hope this makes sense to someone other than myself ha.

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero

:callaway-small: X2Hot Pro 3W

:nike-small: Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 56 / 60

EVNROLL ER5

• 1 month later...

For my irons I like to look at the top and dead center, as for my driver, I always look at the back of the ball

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I look at the back of the ball and imagine a square divided into 4 quadrants...I want my impact point to be the lower inside quadrant of that square.

:rolleyes:

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Ive been working on looking at the front because as of late I have been chunking or blading the ball but I keep forgetting and going back to either starring at the back of the ball or just starring in general.......

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

I used to think hit the inside of the ball when my swing came out to in. Now that it's a bit straighter I'm more focused on weight shift and how I'm turning. I think if I had anything it would be the ball as a whole.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

With the driver, 3 wood and hybrid, I try to look at the back closest to me to get it up in the air (the ball of course lol). With my irons and wedges, I look directly in front of the ball for a more solid contact.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Funny I read this thread. With my irons I couldn't make great contact, until I remembered this thread. I figure try to stare the ball down when I swing. Next thing I knew my irons are so much more crisp and actually going the right distance. It really helped me get going in the right direction.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

With Irons, I look just in front of the ball where I want my divot to be and then try to make a swing to that spot. I'm not focusing on hitting the ball, just focusing on making the swing and letting the ball get in the way. With the Driver I'm looking at the point of the ball closest to me. I'm much better with my irons than driver though. Still working on that.

:taylormade-small: R15 10.5 aldila Rogue Silver 60S
:callaway-logo-1: XR 16 3W
:mizuno-small: JPX 825 3H 19°
:taylormade-small: RSi1 irons 4-AW
:callaway-logo-1: MD3 54°
:mizuno-small:  S5 58°
:cameron-small:  X7M

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried this before and surprisingly it works, only to a little extent.. I was watching the upper right quadrant of the golf ball in an attempt to 'trick' my mind to stop coming under plane, but it only affected a few feet prior to impact (not surprisingly..)

If you have access to a high frame rate camera (~60 fps) you might be able to pick up on this too.

I think this depends on the shot.

• When the ball is on a tee - back of the ball
  • When the ball is on the fairway - inside 
  • When the ball is in the rough - anywhere I can see it but usually the top
  • Chipping/pitching - behind the ball where the grass and ball meet
  • Putting - the top

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'm a little late to this thread but I'll add my 2¢

If I focus on the inside I will almost always push it. Focus on the back, and I hit at the ball, and it goes everywhere. The best focal point for me is two inches in front of the ball (towards the target). This helps me swing through the ball.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived