TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Channel Am Tour

PlaidJacket

This guy I played with last weekend said he was registered to play a tournament on the GolfAmTour in February in the Dallas area. Iron Horse Golf Club. I'd heard of the tour before but never really gave it much thought. In Texas where I live there are 20 events scheduled for 2016. Most of them are in or around the larger metropolitan areas.

Are any of you guys planning to compete? Has anyone played this Tour before? Sounds fun.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

A few years ago a friend of mine from Albuquerque played the GC Am tour.  He was probably a 5 or 6 like you PJ.  He didn't do very well, but his buddy, a SkyWest airline pilot did OK and got to the semis or whatever they call them.  They had a lot of fun, but it was expensive.  I played with them both at the Sandia GC.  Good sticks.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Honestly Kenny, I probably won't participate. It's $199 just to join the tour and then $xxx per tournament. As far as tournaments go these days they seem to be reasonably priced. I also like the aspect that it's Medal play. The biggest drawback for me that they're not in my backyard so to speak. All of those I see would be a minimum of one night hotel and a 5 hr.+ drive each way. Sure sounds fun. Wish I was 35 every now and then. :(

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

So you can imagine what it was like traveling from New Mexico.  I don't remember if the SkyWest pilot traveled for free, but he did go to Florida.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been playing for about 5 years now.  It is a little pricey - $200/year for membership, and depending on the course, the entry fees are about the same as a regular round + cart.  Almost everyone takes the cart, but you can bring a caddy if you want.  But that tends to slow play even more than the glacial tournament pace.  It is flighted pretty well.  If you perform too well within your flight, you are automatically moved up to the next flight.  No sandbagging here.  If you play to your handicap, you will probably place.  The Skins game is where it's at though.  $20 gets you in the skins game, and again, flighted low gross per hole.  Hit a few good shots, and you could walk away with $75-$200.  Trophy presentation that is semi-official.  We trade cards before the round and keep opponents' score.  The guys are generally super nice, but you will occasionally run into the jerk who needs the entire world to come to a stop so he can sink his 8 inch putt.  Tempers and scores sometimes flare up.  But that is the exception to the rule.  99% of the time, it's a great group of guys paired up with very similar handicaps.  I highly recommend it if you enjoy competitive golf.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

HighFade I really would like to join. Sounds like a blast. If I were younger I'd think nothing of jumping in my car and heading down the highway for a tournament.

I take it you're playing again this year?

I'm on the fence about this year.  #1 is money, but it's close to the same as joining a men's club, but I really don't like the idea of playing only one course all year.  The one thing I love about the AM tour is getting to play a different course each week.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

One of the guys who's a regular in our group plays the AM Tour regularly and really loves it. He's done quite well and has placed well in the national tournaments and I think won the overall title for his flight last year (his first in the senior division).  If you do well enough, you qualify for their Master events, or something like that.  One of those is held at here at TPC Sawgrass and they play the Stadium and Valley in a two day tournament.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

One more thing to note:  You can play a small number of tournaments (3-4?) without having to pay the membership fees.  Just the tournament registration.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I think I saw that Fade in the rules or something on their site. However, if I'm going to play in the tournament I want to win or at least have the chance. Otherwise you're just beating it around.

Well, good luck if you decide to compete this year. Keep us informed if you do.

You can win the trophy, just don't get the cash.  But you can enter the skins.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

There is only one tournament near me each year; Wine Valley, great U.S. Open qualifying course. And no Senior Flights.  All of the other courses are on the western side of the state 250-300 miles away.  Too far.

I checked the results from last year's tournament.  For the Palmer Flight (4-7.9) the winning score was 74.  For the Hogan Flight (8-11.9) the winning score was 74.  For the Sarazen Flight (12-15.9) the winning score was 77.  I have played this course several times, and there is no way in hell that I can shoot 74 in a tournament.  How does a 12+ shoot +5 on a hard course?

This is the reason I gave up tournaments a long time ago.  I understand that people are moved to a lower flight based on tournament scores, but pleeeze!

Wow. That's odd. Usually in Palmer a 74-77 will win. Hogan usually around 80. That's pretty bad. They move guys way up on the tee boxes depending on hdcp, so that could explain some, but a 12 shooting 77? No way. Sounds like the local director is not policing very well. I've played in two tours (Denver and KC). And in each they kept very close tabs on tournament scores.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Each year now I start thinking about tournaments. Later I remember two reasons why I'm done with them. Like Kenny talked about.... too many sandbaggers. I don't play the Championship flight... and that's the only flight that's is legit. Secondly, I've gotten too old to compete in the Presidents/first flight. Semi-legit. However, I'll probably play in the club championship later this summer. Maybe. Sadly, It was sandbagged too and the pro didn't seem to GARA.

I don't know if you have a golf week am tour in your area. That's what I did last year and it was a nice challenge. Joining isn't expensive and the fees for each event aren't too bad either.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't know if you have a golf week am tour in your area. That's what I did last year and it was a nice challenge. Joining isn't expensive and the fees for each event aren't too bad either.

Seems like only 7-8 locations from Orlando to Chicago.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Golf Channel Am Tour member and have been since 2013. I absolutely love it! Handicaps are pretty legit because they're calculated for actual tournament scores (not your home course scores) so the only way to sand bag is to pay and play in 5+ rounds (100+ dollars each round) and purposely card super high numbers, which really is pointless considering the winnings are all gift cards and max out at about $250 for a large field. Theyre always adding new cities to the local tours but the best part of the Am Tour are the 2-day 36 hole majors that are typically at higher end/resort courses such as Pinehurst, Chambers Bay, TPC Sawgrass, Kiawah, PGA National, Innisbrook, PGA West, Grayhawk, Blackwolf Run and a ton of other high end PGA courses. Sure it can get a little expensive but it's competitive golf at its finest and you really won't find this type of experience anywhere else. There is a $200 member fee but it goes down to $170 every year after that and there's no obligation to play, you can play in 1 tourney or 50! It's all up to you, your budget, your schedule and your desire to play. People always say, "I have to get better or take lessons before joining the tour." But everything is flighted based on handicaps from scratch to 20+ and I've seen guys win big tournaments shooting a 95 in the higher flights! So there's really no better time to join to compete. Hope to see some of y'all out there!

I've thought this looked fun too, but there are no tournaments close to me....maybe if some more start popping up i would give it a try

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

+1, or maybe +/-1, :-)

The GWAM is a less expensive alternative if it's available.  Pick your flight based upon self-evaluation of ability.  Tournament rounds are tracked, tournament HC generated, and automatic promotion occurs based upon scoring. In my region, we have reciprocal rights to play in NJ/Phila region.  I've played two partial seasons, and the downside is that the rounds, particularly for flights C and higher take FOREVER.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Archived