Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I've been going stir crazy because of "Snowzilla" so I decided to go to the club and try out the new indoor simulators with Trackman. Haven't swung a club in few weeks so I warmed up then decided to do my first ever official gap test. Until now, my distances have been figured out through the eyeball method.

Here are the results:

uploadfromtaptalk1454101495391.png

What do you guys think? Does everything look okay in terms of gapping? Also if anyone on here want to evaluate all the other swing parameters, feel free. I'm new to this launch monitor stuff. The only thing I noticed was that my 50° and 54° were a little close and there's a bit of a gap between my 50° and PW.

Separately, here are my driver results:

uploadfromtaptalk1454101761174.png

I'm going to get fitted for the new Ping G in February. I'm not sure it's even possible to squeeze anything else out of a driver at my swing speed based on my stats above. Ultimately it comes down to strike. Feel free to share any thoughts on this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Gaps look reasonable except for gap between PW, 50, and 54.  Just 6 yards difference between 54 to 50, but 17 yards between 50 and PW.  What's your PW loft?  Looks like you could strengthen the loft on your 50.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

PW is 45. Guess I'll need to have the loft checked on the 50.

You've got 12-14yd gaps starting between your 6 & 7i and continuing on down.  Except for the 50-54 (6 yd gap) and 54-58 (10yd gap)

First question is are you good at choking down and taking a few yds off?  If not I would practice a normal shot, then choke down toward the steel and see how far those go.  It's usually an easy way to take off a few yds for those in-between shots.  

Like others have mentioned you may want to look at a stronger lofted club in place of the 50 to close the gap with the 9i and increase the gap with the 54.  Maybe a 48 in whatever wedge you currently play would be an option.

What happened with the driver on the 3 Left shots?  Looks like a pretty consistent big cut is your normal shot?  If you are always set up to play a 20-30yd cut and end up hitting a 30-100yd hook that sounds like trouble.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Hckymeyer - thanks for the response. I have 3 distances with each of my wedges based on backswing length that I've worked on a lot this year. I grip down on irons but find 1/2 and 3/4 backswings easier with my wedges. Definitely need to get the lofts checked to see if that's the issue.

With regards to the driver, I'm lefty so my stock shot is a draw. I was on a Trackman indoors with about 10 feet to the screen in front of me. Target line was a small piece of tape on the floor in front of the screen. I had trouble aligning to the screen and didn't use any alignment sticks (stupid). My three misses left were straight pushes (blocks) which are my typical miss. Misses on Trackman are measured on feet rather than yards so an occasional 40 yard block is normal for me.

Hckymeyer - thanks for the response. I have 3 distances with each of my wedges based on backswing length that I've worked on a lot this year. I grip down on irons but find 1/2 and 3/4 backswings easier with my wedges. Definitely need to get the lofts checked to see if that's the issue.

With regards to the driver, I'm lefty so my stock shot is a draw. I was on a Trackman indoors with about 10 feet to the screen in front of me. Target line was a small piece of tape on the floor in front of the screen. I had trouble aligning to the screen and didn't use any alignment sticks (stupid). My three misses left were straight pushes (blocks) which are my typical miss. Misses on Trackman are measured on feet rather than yards so an occasional 40 yard block is normal for me.

Ha ha, that makes A LOT more sense

I'd say you look pretty good then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Only thing I've notice is your launch angle isn't very high for how much you're hitting up on the ball with driver. What loft is it?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Only thing I've notice is your launch angle isn't very high for how much you're hitting up on the ball with driver. What loft is it?

Driver is 10.5°. The tee they have is smaller than what I would use on the course so I was struggling to catch it higher on the face where I usually do. Then again, I haven't seen my driver launch monitor numbers before so it's something I'll have to double check.

Driver is 10.5°. The tee they have is smaller than what I would use on the course so I was struggling to catch it higher on the face where I usually do. Then again, I haven't seen my driver launch monitor numbers before so it's something I'll have to double check.

Ah. Yea I struggle with lower teed drivers too.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

If I had those numbers I would be wrapping up my Champion's tour career. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Your spin rates for irons also seemed a bit low but it could be the balls you hit. I know during my lessons when the balls are crap I get really funky spin numbers even though my distances stay the same.

Your spin rates for irons also seemed a bit low but it could be the balls you hit. I know during my lessons when the balls are crap I get really funky spin numbers even though my distances stay the same.

I was looking at that too. Our head pro is a Titleist staffer and we have Pro V1s to hit. The only thing that concerns me with the Trackman indoors is that you have to have a silver dot facing up before you hit to read the spin which I'm skeptical about. I'm definitely going to do the gap test again when we can open the doors and hit out to the range.

I was looking at that too. Our head pro is a Titleist staffer and we have Pro V1s to hit. The only thing that concerns me with the Trackman indoors is that you have to have a silver dot facing up before you hit to read the spin which I'm skeptical about. I'm definitely going to do the gap test again when we can open the doors and hit out to the range.

Yea cause unless you had a bad flip or something I don't see why the ball shouldn't be spinning more

Those number are very similar to mine, I don't have exact, but I would bet we are within a really close pattern together, I do think that you should be able to see a little bit more distance with your driver, I have the same gap issue with my PW, to my 50, and same with 54. I am looking to strengthen all 3 wedges by 1 degree to see if that helps, and then later in the year replace my wedges and go with 48, 52, 56 to see if I can close it up a little more. We will see if bending them strong will work

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My thoughts would be to work on your grip and alignment.

Your club path in relation to your face angle suggests you have a bit of an out to in swing, coupled with a slightly shut face which gives you tendency to hit blocks. The negative value means your club path is moving to the left of the target line (not over the top move for a lefty) and the face angle in the same direction gives you a block. It looks like you have a slightly too strong grip, which is having a knock-on effect with the alignment. 

A good tip would be to move your alignment slightly to offset the club path direction. Not so easy to do with a net perhaps, but worth experimenting with until you get better figures in this aspect. A more neutral grip will help in this regard. Bottom line is missing a green by 25ft is typical for someone around your index, but a bit more practice will sharpen up your accuracy and you will have shorter putts to the hole. 

My thoughts would be to work on your grip and alignment.

Your club path in relation to your face angle suggests you have a bit of an out to in swing, coupled with a slightly shut face which gives you tendency to hit blocks. The negative value means your club path is moving to the left of the target line (not over the top move for a lefty) and the face angle in the same direction gives you a block. It looks like you have a slightly too strong grip, which is having a knock-on effect with the alignment.

A good tip would be to move your alignment slightly to offset the club path direction. Not so easy to do with a net perhaps, but worth experimenting with until you get better figures in this aspect. A more neutral grip will help in this regard. Bottom line is missing a green by 25ft is typical for someone around your index, but a bit more practice will sharpen up your accuracy and you will have shorter putts to the hole.

Thanks Jas, that makes perfect sense to me. When I get back in there next week I'll experiment with a more neutral grip and try to straighten out the alignment and get some numbers to compare.

The biggest thing that jumps out to me is the gap between your 50 and pw as others have noticed. Could definitely be a loft issue. Have you ever had yours checked? One may just be off a few degrees over the other.

The big things that stands out to me is your launch angle on your driver. 12 degrees is pretty low. While I don't like Taylormade too much, their 17/1700 idea has some merit, and I think raising your launch angle would help to get you some more distance.

Did you measure where the contact is on the face? That can obviously have a huge effect on spin and so on, and I'd be curious where you were striking it. Maybe demo a higher loft and see how that effects your overall numbers?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

The biggest thing that jumps out to me is the gap between your 50 and pw as others have noticed. Could definitely be a loft issue. Have you ever had yours checked? One may just be off a few degrees over the other.

The big things that stands out to me is your launch angle on your driver. 12 degrees is pretty low. While I don't like Taylormade too much, their 17/1700 idea has some merit, and I think raising your launch angle would help to get you some more distance.

Did you measure where the contact is on the face? That can obviously have a huge effect on spin and so on, and I'd be curious where you were striking it. Maybe demo a higher loft and see how that effects your overall numbers?

I think he mentioned that he had to go with the tee in the bay that he was hitting in and was lower than normal for him. That could account for the lower than ideal launch angle. It also probably means that he has a bit more driver spin than he normally would. I had an interesting discussion with my teacher about driver AOA on Tuesday. Basically he feels that it's best to have one swing that is consistent and then mitigate with equipment is that swing doesn't produce a positibpve AOA.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Personally, I wouldn't make any changes until you go outside and hit your own game balls on real grass.  As good as trackman is....it's still indoors on a mat.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to see different numbers in the "real world"!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Archived