Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Caddie Fees?

bks110296

I personally have never used a caddie while playing but would love the opportunity, however at most courses it seems extremely expensive. I was just looking at Streamsong's website and they charge $80-$100 per bag plus tip. What doesn't make a lot of sense is why I have to pay the course $80-$100 to use a caddie then tip him on top of that. Shouldn't the $80-$100 go to the caddie or at least 1/2 then the club get the other half eliminating the need to tip because the caddie just made $40-$50 for carrying my bag. What service is the club providing that they get $80-$100 for the work that the caddie is doing? Any and all comments are welcome. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9.5

Ping G 2-3-4-5 hybrid 

Adams Super S 6-PW

Ping Tour W 50-54-58

I am sure that it is different at different locations.  I have only used a caddie at Bandon Dunes.  The caddie service there is separate from the courses.  I believe that it was started by a dentist from Portland that saw an opportunity and loved golf.  The caddies are not just guys/gals that carry bags; they know how to interact with the golfers in a positive way, know the courses very well, and will probably save you a few strokes if you don't know the course.  They are trained which takes an investment by the caddie service.  I don't know what percentage the caddie gets from the fee, but like any other type of service industry, the quality of the service should be reflected by the tip.  

Think about it... this time of year a caddie probably gets one round a day, maybe two if they are lucky; later in the year two rounds for sure.  But that is really hard work, probably walking 15 miles a day carrying a bag, sometimes two bags; likely putting up with really bad golfers and being friendly about it.  That's $200 + tips, and they don't do that every day.  You could probably make that as a good server in the restaurant business.  

It's all about the experience.  Yes, it's expensive, but if you have never done it, I would recommend it even if it's just once.  JMHO

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Streamsong is one of the most overpriced resorts in the US.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Like Kenny - Bandon is the only place I've used a caddie. It makes a round expensive alright. But I'm glad I had my caddie there. And if you've never played a round of golf without riding in a cart or carrying a bag-pushing a cart you're in for a real treat. There's nothing like hitting your tee shot and then... like the pros do; start walking and talking with your playing partners. You never clean you clubs or ball, lift a pin, or rake a bunker. They do all that. You'll have a whole new perspective on your round. When you look at what they make on an hourly basis it's not much really. I can promise you one thing. If I caddie for you I'd charge about 600/round. Call me. :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Typical caddie fees at Bandon are one Fun Coupon. ($100)  If your man does a great job, or you win all the bets because he reads the greens well...   Reach a little deeper.  

Playing with a caddie is one of my favorite things to do.  And I am not talking about someone who is lugging my bag around the course.  A REAL looper knows the course, the wind, and your tenancies as a player in just a few holes, and can adjust to help you.  In all the times that I have had a looper at Bandon, I have only had one below average experience. The rest were Top Notch.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've had caddies at Whistling Straits and Pinehurst, and a couple of courses in Ireland, and at the Old Course at St Andrews.  Each time, they were professional, knew the course, learned my game quickly, and were a pleasure to be with.  The only place that I know how it works is at St. Andrews, where the caddie gets paid the whole fee plus tip directly, but has to pay the St Andrews Trust a relatively small part of that for the privilege.  I'm not sure how small that cut is, and I'm sure the caddies wouldn't call it small.

Like kenny, buddy, and Plaidjacket have said, having a proper professional caddie is a real treat, and for me a treat that I rarely get to have.  You should really do it at least once in your life!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The Caddy service at Pinehurst is a must.  I met Eddie Mac years ago and would pay him 10 fold just to listen to him tell stories, which he did most of the round.  Great Caddy.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Having a caddie at one of these resorts is different from having a caddy at a club.  The caddies at the resorts are pros and all that everyone has said about them is most certainly true.  They are a part of the experience and should be tipped unless they don't do their job. 

The caddy at your local private club is normally a kid, I used to do it, it's how I got into golf.  He or she will carry your bag, keep your clubs clean and give you accurate yardage.  At most clubs you will not want his advice and in fact at some places he's not supposed to give it.  Generally speaking you will tip him for the round if you are a guest while there is some sort of general tip added to your bill if you are a club member at some point in time during the season that gets divided up proportionally among the staff.  We get assessed in November and everyone gets a Christmas bonus from it. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev got me to remembering back.....

The club where my dad joined back in the 60's was a fun place and where I first started to learn the game. Me and my good buddy were little leaguers and played some golf during the summer. For a couple of years when the club would hold their big 2-man partnership we'd go hang around the pro shop and snag a couple of bags. These guys all had giant tour bags with a ton of stuff in them. Usually including a fifth of whiskey. Yeah... I know. Anyway, we'd lug those things for two days and get paid $20 bucks. For both days! I recall one evening after a round me and my friend Jimmy slipped away somewhere on the back 9 where we'd seen lots of balls hit into a gulch. There we ran into the assistant pro. He was drinking beer off the side of a tee box. He informed us kids that they leave the beer there over night so it's ready for the next morning. There was this large metal cooler stocked full of ice cold beer. Shortly after the assistant left. Me and Jimmy found a ton of balls and then proceeded to crack open a beer for ourselves. I think we were around 11 at the time. We kept our little secret to ourselves and enjoyed the next day caddying. Good times. Good times.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That first burp from the 1st beer, a rite of passage.

When I was 12, I canddied once with my friend who was like super caddy. I was so scared I'd screw up. But I got through it. Made 5 bucks went home and never went back. Those golfers didn't look like they were having any fun.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I've never had a caddy, always thought it would be an awkward experience......may have to try it sometime

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I've never had a caddy, always thought it would be an awkward experience......may have to try it sometime

Well, other than Danny Noonan of course

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

That first burp from the 1st beer, a rite of passage.

When I was 12, I canddied once with my friend who was like super caddy. I was so scared I'd screw up. But I got through it. Made 5 bucks went home and never went back. Those golfers didn't look like they were having any fun.

And now you know that they weren't!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for all the stories and experiences that were shared. There are a couple local clubs that have caddies that I may have to try out. I know Moraine CC has a caddie program that trains their caddies so hopefully they're pretty good. The only problem though is getting access. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9.5

Ping G 2-3-4-5 hybrid 

Adams Super S 6-PW

Ping Tour W 50-54-58

Looked at the caddy fees at my club and they were surprisingly reasonable at $50+ tip. Nice to have the option every once in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with JudgeSmails on this. Never had a caddie , think it would be awkward . So how much should the tip be? What does it cost?  I have no idea.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Have had a caddie a few times -- the first was memorable.  Through several strokes of good fortune, I was able to play in the Buick Classic's Celebrity Pro-Am at Westchester Country Club back in 1991 or so.  Loren Roberts was the pro, Dan Maloney (hockey player, husband of a super-model -who we met at the BBQ after) was the celeb. My buddy Mike and I were the am's. The club supplied us with caddies for the event and they were very helpful.  The Pro had his regular caddie, the rest of us had college kids who knew the course.  Can't remember how much I tipped my caddie but I'm pretty sure it wasn't nearly enough...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm with JudgeSmails on this. Never had a caddie , think it would be awkward . So how much should the tip be? What does it cost?  I have no idea.

Doesn't the judge customarily tip two bits?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Former caddie at Erin Hills: the caddie gets less than half of the caddie fee. They get in at around six am and wait until they get a loop, sometimes not until afternoon, sometimes not at all (sometimes once in the morning and again in the afternoon). When they are not on the course they are expected to help at the bag drop or work the driving range cleaning clubs. A normal day runs from 6 am to anywhere between noon and 6 pm. They only get paid for the bag fee (~$30) and tip. The minimum tip was $40 when I was there. That's $70 for between 6 and 12 hours of work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for the info Sproutland.  That's not  much money for a long day.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Archived