Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Shoes - Worth the Price?

gkatshoots69

It's been awhile since I've posted anything but this has me stumped... golf shoes are insanely expensive!  I just saw that UA released 3 models of shoes and the cheapest one is $160 for spikeless and the highest is $220, do people really pay that amount for golf shoes? These are golf shoes, not some Italian leather loafer, golf shoes that a majority of regular amateurs probably wear 1 to 2 times a week.  For me, last years model on ebay for $40-$50 gets the job done, my feet are going to be just as stable as the person next to me who spent 4 times the amount I did.  Heck I don't even spend that kind of money on sneakers or dress shoes that I wear everyday! What performance boost is $200 shoes going to give you? I know this isn't the first pair of shoes to retail for $200 but you would think with UA coming into the shoe game that they might offer something that is a little more affordable.  Look at Adidas, they have shoes that range all of the map as far as price.  I know people buy them and that's why prices can be so high but it just baffles my mind, spend that $200 on a hybrid instead I'm pretty sure that will improve your game more so than shoes will.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this, why do you buy $200 golf shoes?

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Personally I don't buy $200 golf shoes. I wait until the $200 shoes are a year old and then buy them for $100 or somewhere in that ballpark. And as for being worth it, hell yes. I have one pair of cheap adidas spikes and I almost never wear them. They just aren't as comfortable and good as my more expensive pairs. My suggestion is to do some shopping around and find last years model of the expensive shoes that fit your feet correctly and snatch em up. They are 100% worth it to me although I tend to walk alot of my rounds vs riding so its more important for me than some.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

You don't......there are plenty of affordable shoes on the market for $50 - $100.

I have not paid retail for golf shoes in at least 8 - 10 years.....and i have about 9 pairs.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I just got the new FJ Freestyle shoes. Had some pro shop credit left over so I ended up paying $120 instead of $160. I don't mind spending the money on good shoes. I walk 18 holes 3-4 times a week so it's worth it for me.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have no problem paying 200 for a shoe I really like and want because I know that I'm gonna get my money's worth. I bought the TW 13s when they came out and have used them since so about 4+ years and they're still kicking. For me shoes are as important as a club. I am looking for new shoes but if I can't find any the TWs will stay in the bag so to speak.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

A few years ago when Edwin Watts went under, I got a pair of DryJoy Tours, FJ Contour BOA's and FJ Sport BOA's for $120!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Certainly, golf shoes are worth the money. As long as you are talking less than $100. Buying the lasted shoes makes even less sense to me than buying the latest driver.

I have no problem paying 200 for a shoe....

Wow, that's $400 a pair.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I just got the new FJ Freestyle shoes. Had some pro shop credit left over so I ended up paying $120 instead of $160. I don't mind spending the money on good shoes. I walk 18 holes 3-4 times a week so it's worth it for me.

I just got a pair of those myself and wore them for the first time Sunday.  I thought they were extremely comfortable.

• SPY VIP

Would I pay $200 for a pair of shoes? Probably not. That said, I tend to be more of a value buyer than a "must have the latest model" buyer with shoes...

I walk 95% or so of my rounds, so comfort is an absolute must and often comes at a premium. But that premium doesn't mean it has to be the newest thing...I'm a huge fan of Ecco and snagged 2 pr. on closeout for $120..both were over $200 new...

No way. I'm a bargain hunter for the most part and bought my last pair of True's for about $70 when they were on sale.

Having said that, I'm seriously considering the new True Elements Hybrids for $120.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Im with others here, buy $150 pair when they are around $80. You guys have seen pictures of me. Clearly I'm not a high fashion guy. I dress Golf Appropriate but don't need to be in today's fashion. We all have are budget limitations.

Like anything they are worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The only shoe I have bought that I think would justify its 200+ price are the Adidas Adipure 360's that were released in 2014 and 2015. I can wear the black ones with anything

And I have tried the following, but nothing compares to their comfort, flexibility, durability and traction,

Nike Control I, II, and III

Nike TW '14, and '15

Footjoy Icons, DNA, Dryjoy tour, Superlites, 

Adidas Tour 360

Ecco Bioms, Tour hybrids,

True linkswear

But if you ask the next guy his list would be different. and as Undershooter said, wait till they drop. I picked up 3 more pairs of the Adipures at 79.99 each :)

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I walk so for me I don't mind spending the cash on a good shoe, I just bought the Puma Titan tours that MGS reviewed a while back and they are extremely comfortable. I like to walk whenever I can so comfortable shoes are a must.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are two items where you don't skimp on quality:  shoes and a bed.  That being said, most golfers don't have to spend $200 or more for shoes.  Quality shoes can be bought one year out of style or from discount golf stores for $50 to $100.  

Unfortunately, I fall in the small group that has great trouble buying shoes from stores.  I have wide feet and one foot is half a size smaller than the other.  A few years ago I ordered a custom pair of Myjoys (which allows you to order each foot in a different size) and I must say I've never been happier with my shoes.  They cost more than $200.  

I think the shoes are a good investment.  My feet feel better and I have much more energy in my legs after a round.  I don't generally walk 7 miles in my regular shoes, but I do so in my golf shoes several times a week.  

I have a pair of original Adidas Tour 360 and have replaced the spikes several times.  I think they were $160 but Golfsmith had a trade-in for $40 off, so I gave them my old worn out whatever-they-were shoes.  They are very comfortable but I do not walk in them; too heavy.  My walking shoes are True Linkswear.  I'm on pair #6; bought the True Elements a little over a month ago for $114.  Every pair is the same size and fit exactly the same, and I can walk all day in them.  I wore out the spikeless "spikes" on pair #2 but continued to wear them for every day until my wife said they were disgusting and through them out!

MattF, I do have an issue with the Elements and will post it in that thread shortly.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There has been discussion among my regular foursome regarding shoes lately. One of the guys went all in for spikeless, another said he is going spikeless because you can't afford the replacement spikes. I, for one, prefer spikes, as I need sure footing both when swinging the club and while walking. I purchased several pair of replacement spikes a few years back when Edwin Watts was clearing out. I still have 2 sets.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Certainly, golf shoes are worth the money. As long as you are talking less than $100. Buying the lasted shoes makes even less sense to me than buying the latest driver.

Wow, that's $400 a pair.

Good thing we only got two feet

Bought Footjoy dry joys tours last year's model, for $109, $80 off. Never buy anything unless it has the little orange sticker on top of the original white sticker. Multiple orange stickers even better.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

My ethos with everything is to to buy the best I can afford, which like many of you means buying sale bargains. Get last years top of the range for the price of this years bottom of the range.

So in the winter I look for shoes and summer clothes. Always look for waterproofs in the height of summer etc.

My wife bought me some Adidas Boost Boa for my birthday, about 100 dollars but the RRP on these last year was probably twice that.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Westy!  How are you doing?  Great to hear from you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey Westy, how do you like the Addidas BOA?  I have 3 pair of BOA in the FJ line.

Welcome back Westy, the discount clothes horse!  ;)

It seems like most people on this forum are people looking for a bargain to cut golf costs, but still want and look for the better brands and models.  MGS's are serious golfers that want serious products, and last year's models do just fine.  Some people want the latest stuff, and that's great but why pass up bargains??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well it's been a fun winter, floods floods and a few more floods! No fun when it's part of your job. Played a few holes this week for first time in 5 months and it went ok - new seasons a week or two away and I'm stoked.

I've had FJ boas before and liked them, the adidas ones seem to be to be lighter.

It's a quandary, I like the leather and quality of footjoy but the lightness and stability of adidas. Mind you there's no excuse for the amount of shoes I have.

And MGS folk love a bargain? Hell yes, cheaper it is the more we can buy!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Westy, i got my FJ BOA's for $50-$60 a pair!  Now that's an MGS Bargain!

The biggest factor I find for me now is the heel. I do not like the traditional C heel, I prefer the U that leaves room for your Achilles. If you where no show socks "traditional heels" aggravate my heel. Another thing I like about these adidas is the insole doesn't wear as fast as other brands and they weren't just some cheap foam.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Value is one that is associated to the person owning it and really no other. Are there possibly better things to spend your money on; without question but I also like the idea of trying to look nice if possible at all times. Also I believe you get what you pay for. I have six pairs of http://www.patrickgibbonshandmade.com/product-category/shoes/golf-shoes/the-scottsdale/

and I love how they look and feel. Also, Patrick is one of my friends so I always try and support my friends.

I have 5 pairs of footjoys. All have been reasonably comfortable but not great.  I bought a pair of Salomon speed cross 3 mountaineering sneakers. Just over $100 on sale. They have 1/4" v shaped "spikes" on the soles. They are the most comfortable shoes I have worn. I walked 18 holes with no aches or pains at all. I bought 2 pair of the waterproof version this winter.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Preferences are ECCO and True Linskwear. I find the ECCO's last a hell of a lot longer for golf that the True's - but both are good to wear long after the nubs have worn down. Wore my white True wing tips all winter long.

When I went to the adidas Tour360 Boost event they did hook us up with a pair. I like them - pretty comfy but I seriously doubt I'd pay $200 for them. They'd be an offseason purchase at best.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo