TESTERS WANTED! ×

When - and Why - Did You Start Playing Golf?

GolfSpy Barbajo

We've had a TON of new members join MyGolfSpy in the past few weeks, so I figured this would be a good time to bring this thread back up again...

When did you start playing golf?  WHY did you start playing golf? Who helped you get in to the game? What was your first set of "big boy" clubs?  

Knowing what you know now -- would you rather have all the money you've spent on golf stuff over the years, or the memories? 

Here's mine ---

Started golfing in the summer of '82, right after college.  We were bored one afternoon when someone - I forget who - said "let's go play golf."  We grabbed my brother's clubs and went to a 9 holer nearby.  I think I only hit one good shot that day - but it was the one that got me hooked.

And shades of the late Ken Howard and the White Shadow -- one of my friends who played was a native Hawaiian and his one good shot was a bomb off the tee.  I asked him how the heck he hit the ball so far and he said, "Easy. It's white!"  

Yep, those are the kinds of things you remember...

Bought my first set of real "big boy" clubs later that summer from Werner's Sporting Goods in Leominster, MA - Spalding Executives!  

Those turned into a set of Pings, which turns into a set of Palmer Axioms.  Played a TON until 1991, when kid #1 was a tyke and kid #2 was on the way.  Clubs pretty much went away until 2007 -- took a new job and my boss asked my if I liked to golf.  "Get yourself setup with some good equipment - we play a lot of golf at this company!"

One of my two favorite jobs of all time!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

In 2011 I was a rookie in the DC Fire Department. The Emerald Society hosts an annual golf tournament. One of the guys on my shift asked me to play. Told him I'd never swung a golf club before. His response was "well do you drink beer?" Played baseball my whole life. And on top of that, I was a lefty.

Turned out he was also a lefty and had an extra set of clubs. He let me use them for the tournament and the rest of the season. I couldn't get the damn ball off the ground. Golf was hard. Who knew? I had to get good at it. After that, I was hooked.

Now here we are 5 years later. Down to a single digit handicap and hoping to drop it a lot more this year.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I think it was 2010... my wife complained that I was spending too much time on the PC, so she suggested we did something outdoorsy.

Found a beginner's course around our place and both started taking lessons.

It got very competitive from the beginning and we try to include a side bet in every round we play.

She played her way into the ladies team and I still suck hahaha :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Played my first round of golf at a local executive course in the spring of 1986 (think late April 1986) with a kid from my high school track team. I initially thought that the game was a little slow for me, but I was inspired by what has transpired on TV earlier that month.  We went again later that summer, and I was hooked. I played about 3-5 days a week through college, and then I really got serious. I have had my index as low as 1.2 when I played every day, but since family responsibilities have taken more of my time, I just don't play as much, and consequently, my index keeps creeping up every year... I hope to keep it under 10 this season..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Started playing in the late 70's at the age of 2. I was raised by my maternal Grandparents and they had a membership to a club and liked to play a few times a week. They decided to let me start going with them and soon enough to club pro was cutting down a left handed iron and putter for me to use. Got my first set of clubs at 5 and played left handed until I grew out of them and learned to play right handed. 37 years later I am still hooked on the game and have been scratch or better for the last 20 years. My wife does not play anymore but my son and daughters play and all started around the same time as I did.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

In the summer of 1987 I was 3 years old and my dad had sawed off a bullseye brassie for my brother a few years before. I remember the first tournament I played. I was 9 and my brother was 14. He shot a 77 for 18 and I shot a 77 for 9 on a par 3 course. I was gaming a set of Northwestern blades (5, 7, and 9), Northwestern 2 wood, and bullseye brassie.

My first big boy clubs were a set of Ping eye2 clones, Cleveland 588 52, 56, and 60, Ping TiSI tec driver, and Odyssey putter (looked like a Ping Zing).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I grew up the only clubs we had laying around the house were all right handed, I grew up playing sports, so picking up a right handed club was normal for me since I was the only lefty in the family. So I hit balls pretty much right handed all the time we played, one summer when I was about 14 or so, we went and stayed with my grandparents for a week or so, it was 2 of my brothers and myself with Grandpa, he rented me some lefty clubs to use, and that was first time I had played left handed, and it was pretty good, I played some but not much with baseball basketball and soccer going on and taking up most of my time throughout the year, but when I was in the military i bought myself some LH clubs and I played a lot when I was on base in San Antonio, TX. I have been playing a lot since then, but I would have to say it was Grandpa renting me those first set of LH clubs that really got me into playing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My senior year of high school we moved to a little farm town in Missouri. 2 of my buddies Bobby and Sam had gotten to the school to start a golf team. Sam was a couple years older so he lent me his set of Knights. Our practice course had a begginer front 9 par 30 1700 yards and 2900 yards par 35 back. My first week out greened a 241 yard par 4 with 3w, Sam didn't have a driver, missed the eagle by about 2 inches tapped for bird and was hooked. My coach at summer sports ceremony said I could hit any club really really far.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I have been playing since I was in diapers. My first set of big boy clubs were hand me downs from my uncle they were Top Filght Tour irons.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I was on a two-week business trip in June 1991 in Livermore, CA; we had the Sunday off.  The guys that  I was working with said they needed one more player for two foursomes.  I was playing fast pitch and slow pitch softball as well as league volleyball, but had never played golf.  So they made tee times and we all went.  We all had to rent clubs, since the rules were that everyone had to have a set of clubs.  We were all right handed but they only had seven RH rentals, so we had to rent a LH set, but we never used it.  I didn't play very well because my softball swing didn't work, but I thought that if I learned the game, I could play after I gave up my competitive sports.  My body said it was probably time to do that anyway.  

I got a set of used Ping Eye 2's (still have them); don't remember what woods I had.   The next year I played in my company's 9-hole league, and typically shot 62-65 for nine holes.  At the end of the year they had a 3-club tournament.  I picked 5i, 9i, and putter and shot 47, but still played all of my clubs the rest of the year.  Go figure!  After teaching myself the next three years, I took lessons and the pro had to undo all my teaching.

Every year for the next 25 years I traveled with the guys at work and we always played golf when we could.  Met a lot of nice people along the way, and now that I have retired, I have started to travel and meet MGS members and have enjoyed playing with all of them.  Many more to come.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it was 2010... my wife complained that I was spending too much time on the PC, so she suggested we did something outdoorsy.

It got very competitive from the beginning and we try to include a side bet in every round we play.

Side bets with wife? The mind boggles.......

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I started carrying my grandads clubs for him at the course he'd been treasurer of (and was now a life member) - I learnt the rules and etiquette (sounds old fashioned but we're talking about the 80's and my grandad was ex military and a teacher) and then aged 9 or 10 he gave me some of his clubs and I started hitting old balls (mostly the old size as well) round a field.

Started playing short courses and joined my first course aged 12, aside from 2 years at college when I was to poor (and drunk) I've never stopped. Still play a few times a year with the kids I played with as a teenager - nearly 30 years on.

Yesterday I was at the course with my 5 year old hitting balls - he loves it. Although he did help himself to a ball from the edge of the last green, much to the amusement of people in the bar.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I played for about 2 years when I was about 16 with my grandfathers set...persimmon woods, old rubber grips and all. Gave up in disgust and ridiculed golf quite a bit.

Fast forward to 2005 when I moved to the US and married my wife. My FIL was a scratch golfer and won a few local tournaments, so, wanting to get on his good side I played with him and got hooked.

He gave me my first set of clubs here, Ping Eye 2's with a Cally Warbird (?) driver.

I went to work for the local electric company in 2006 and in 2007 joined the men's club golf league and bought a set of Cobra FP's and a Yes! Tracy putter...the putter is still in my bag.

Love the game now and am hoping my son will continue to show interest as well.

BTW, last week in Florida I realised a dream...beat my FIL by 3 strokes. (I'm framing the score card)

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Side bets with wife? The mind boggles.......

Usually who cooks dinner, does laundry, etc...

Once in a while a watch, a purse, a pair of shoes or a computer game for me :P

And on our season finale we raise the stakes... 2 years ago she wanted to go to Prague, I wanted to stay home... she won :D

She'll usually kick my ass on stroke play, but match play is pretty even...

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I was given a set of clubs by my stepson for fathers day. around 1991  They were Sandy Lyle clubs. I thought they were women's clubs. I did not know who Sandy Lyle was. @ years later I was " fitted" to a set of Wilson clubs by a public course pro.  He saw me coming :rolleyes: , "oh yea you hit these clubs much better than those Sandy Lyles", NOT. Next set was Cobra's ,great clubs then fitted properly to Titleist AP2. also great clubs

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

In 1959, the City of Frankfort, KY opened a municpal park with a golf course, swimming pool, ball diamonds & tennis courts.  My Grandfather became a member and he "recruited" me to be his caddy.  At age 8, I began my love of golf by pulling my Grandfather's BagBoy pull cart around Juniper Hills Golf Course.  Yes, I said it correctly, Juniper Hills. The course is 18 holes of rolling hills, which was a real workout for an 8 year old.  By age 10. I had my own clubs, shoes with steel spikes and the ability to caddy for others, then play in the summer afternoons.  I can still remember those Saturday rounds with my Grandfather, Tom Moss.  He was a retired Civil Engineer and lived with us.  My clubs were his old canvas bag and wooden shafted clubs.  The same clubs that he took to Africa with him in the late 1940's when he designed and built a sawmill to harvest mahogany trees for desk furniture.  Anyway, my Saturdays were spent with my Grandfather and his regular foursome.  I quietly learned the game of golf and the etiquette that went with it.  My Grandfather was my hero.  The wooden shafted clubs turned to steel shafted PowerBilt clubs.  He is the reason that I still play golf today, some 57 years later.  He is the reason I run a weekly game at my club.  I still have the putter he took to Africa, hanging in my house.  I work to bring golfers together, not just to play, but to socialize, to share life experiences, to help each other.  As i look forward to retirement this year, I look back at the satrt of my game and look forward to teaching my Grandson the game.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My wife had a slight advantage over me in that she has been playing since she was 8 years old and her dad was club champion at three clubs.  She gave up golf for a number of years but when I met her 14 years ago, she still had a good swing but used steel shafted persimmons and blades.  We changed that out but my length still kept me in contention.  This year she beat me twice so far, but she is 9 years younger and I'll be 69 next month.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the stories guys! I love them.

In elementary school my best friend's Dad was a biology prof at Yale. He went to St. Andrews to teach as a Prof online and my friend went with. He learned to play there and came back with some clubs. This was in '66, he and I started playing together when he got back.

My first set of clubs were Kroydons Paul Harneys, just odd numbers Driver, Spoon, 3,5,7,9, Putter. I think I was twelve when I bought them with Newspaper Money. I didn't play much because I was a baseball player through High School and my first two years of college. A bout with mono ended that, no loss I wasn't a great player even though I loved the sport.

That summer I started playing golf and got to where I could break 80 with those Kroydons plus some sort of wedge that I picked up along the way, seriously. I was basically self taught but had caddied a couple of summers and the assistant pro at that club worked with me a bit. The next summer I bought of set of PGA Tommy Armour woods and Ram Tour Grind irons. I joined the local nine hole muni for $75 and basically played golf every day the entire summer. Broke par a few times, made some money, lost some money, had a little run in a local tournament before getting bounced, found out I was way over my head at the NY State Am qualifying, fell in love with the Sport. From then on I was a golfer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I was 10 or so summertime was all about baseball, and I was a decent hitter but didn't have home run power. We had a diamond in the backyard, my dad had a decent sized backyard.

One day during summer vacation I was snooping around the house and got into my dad's clubs. I grabbed a fairway wood, a ball and a tee.

Not being very smart, I went in the backyard, teed up the ball at home plate and aimed at centerfield, behind that was the neighbors house.

I swung at the ball, and click, it rocketed off, ten feet off the ground on a laser right for my neighbors back doorwall about 80 yards away and seemed to get there in a nano second.

Fortunately the ball hit brick, bounced harmlessly to earth. Nobody heard it, nobody saw it, at least no earthly beings.

But I felt such a thrill, not only avoiding catastrophe, but the power of launching that projectile with that club, with such ease and grace, it made me feel like a superhero.

I didn't get to play for real until I was 15 or 16, and discovered that hitting those lasers could be elusive, but it is still why I play today.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

But I felt such a thrill, not only avoiding catastrophe, but the power of launching that projectile with that club, with such ease and grace, it made me feel like a superhero.

Tell me about that "ease and grace" again.

I saw a limited amount of golf on television when I was a young boy and thought it must be the most boring game. I was into sports with more action. In my early 20's I lived in Sarasota, FL for about 16 months, my boss and foreman played semi-regularly and invited me along. I walked into a little golf retail shop (not on course) and told them I want something for a beginner, bought a full set of clubs for $200 - I have no idea what brand or what any of the specs were (I was totally oblivious to all that). It didn't even have a "driver", it had 1, 3, and 5 woods were going to play that Saturday (just a day or two later), long story short, I walked up to the first tee on, I believe it was the Bobby Jones Golf Club, possibly having never swung a club before, but I can't remember for sure. I know I didn't go the range before that round. When it was our turn to tee off, I was as nervous as a cat on hot tin roof. Swung mightily and the ball took off on a screaming low line drive (I think the words ease and grace immediately vacated the premises), it went straight sideways and I held my breath, because I thought it was going to go right through the starter's shack and take his head off, but it somehow missed all that and he never found out. I re-teed and we were off, never even tried looking for that ball. Amazingly enough, there were no other significant events in that first round that I can recall, but there were a few more to follow later that summer. After that I took one 30 minute lesson (how I wish I would have taken more back then before ingraining a bunch of bad habits), and one of the things that stuck with me was to keep grip pressure "light". Some time that summer I was faced with a shot over water, my ball was on a bit of a downhill lie about 6-8' from the water, but it really wasn't that bad a lie, at least as I recall it now. Now is a good time to remember the "light" grip pressure. I gave a mighty swing and stuck my clubhead in the ground about 4 inches behind the ball, the club just popped/slipped right out of my hands, bounced once and there went my 7 iron (which was my favorite club at the time) helicoptering out over the pond and splash, down out of sight. I stood there in stunned silence for a minute, I finally turned to face my boss and foreman, and they weren't making any sound either, but they were doubled over laughing so hard they could hardly breathe :D! To this day, those are two of my most embarrassing golf moments - and I hope it stays that way! We played a fair bit that summer, maybe 12-18 rounds, but it would be almost 20 years before I would play that much again. Nevertheless, I was hooked.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

It was 1999 that I got into golf. I had my knees run their course for me and my Doctors told me I was finished but they knew where I could go. Being a wise guy I told them there was always a seat at the bar for an x-hockey player and they said no to go to the golf course as I would find others there that had played sports and got banged up. So I had just got an inheritance from my late grandfather (and he'd played golf) so I went to my local golf store with cash burning a hole in my pocket. Walked in and saw a set of Ping ISI Becu (full set) sitting there. Fell in love instantly and got them thinking I would grow into them and take lessons to try and get good and also be able to keep my Grampa close to me. Still have them and have only owned one other set which is in my signature file. Wish I'd taken up golf earlier but am thrilled to be a golfer since 1999.

My wife had a slight advantage over me in that she has been playing since she was 8 years old and her dad was club champion at three clubs. She gave up golf for a number of years but when I met her 14 years ago, she still had a good swing but used steel shafted persimmons and blades. We changed that out but my length still kept me in contention. This year she beat me twice so far, but she is 9 years younger and I'll be 69 next month.

Dang, that's a lot of golf years! I hope I can still play when I'm your age! :D

The first time i played golf, i was in high school. Or junior high, I can't remember. After all, that was another century ago. Come to think of it, I wasn't in school at all. A friend and i decided to take advantage of our new found trust and freedom to go unescorted from one class to the next. "You mean, nobody's watching to see if we actually go to the next class?" I was overjoyed. My friend, Rick, had his own car. A 1960s Plymouth Barracuda, complete with push-button transmission shifters on the dash. Taking full advantage of the noise and crash of the between-class rush, we sidled to an exit, then ran to the parking lot. Seated in his car, we scanned the school carefully after the bell rang. Not a peep. Not a soul. Nobody coming after us! Alright! We headed out on the highway. Driving along in light traffic, Rick said,"What do you want to do?"

"I dunno."

"How about golf?"

"I never played."

"It's fun! Come on!"

So we drove over to the local municipal course. Rick got clubs out of his trunk. We went into the shop. I had no idea what's going on. We paid. We went out. We told the guy who got assigned to play with us to go ahead. While we waited, Rick said,"What do you want to bet?"

Me:"Bet!? Nothing! I never played before!"

Rick: "We gotta bet something. How about a penny a stroke? I beat you by a hundred strokes, you owe me a dollar."

I reluctantly agreed.

So we hacked it around the muni, tearing up the sod, me getting frustrated: "But if i'm a beginner, why do i have to hit out of the sandtrap?"

Anyway, we killed the afternoon, and a lot of grass, and nearly one or two golfers. At the end of the day, i owed him something like $0.37. Rick was like, that was fun, and I'm like, yeah, not so bad, but I'm thinking, man, next time we cut class, I'm doing something else.

I didn't get the bug to start playing until maybe 20 years later. Rick and i both played football on the high school team, but we never played golf again. Funny, the guy who played starting right tackle next to me at guard, got a full golf scholarship to Houston. Rick and I didn't stay in touch, and i heard later he became a cop. Anyway, that was my first time.

Dang, that's a lot of golf years! I hope I can still play when I'm your age! :D

I wish I had started playing golf when you did!!

started playing real young with my dad. My parents say I rode a golf cart when I was 3 or 5 with my dad when he played on vacation. I've played probably since I was ten with my dad. When I was 17 my grandfather offered me a magazine subscription you get from credit cards. I took him up on golf digest. Since then I've been hooked. I've had two maybe three multiple month long breaks, some mental: some first year in college and didn't want to bring the sticks.

My first set was one of those starter sets you see at Dicks Sporting Goods that my parents bought when I was about 10 or 12. After reading magazines I decided to get a driver for my birthday when I was 18. Since then I've bought two sets of irons, two more drivers, and a putter. All I've pretty much bought by myself, although with birthday or holiday money. 

On that note: the biggest golf influences were my dad who played on vacation and my two friends from undergrad. They've since lost the interest as much as I've gained it. They at one time played 3-4 times every week, now they tell me once a month. 

That's my story.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

This really is an awesome thread! Thanks for starting and sharing all the stories! I started playing when I was 8 years old in 1997...any guesses on why?? Of course it was because of Tiger Woods. I loved baseball and played on every team I could get on. So when I saw Tiger on TV I asked my dad if I could start playing. Baseball was my true passion through high school so I didn't really take golf too serious until college and now it has consumed my life (which only my wife complains about). 

My first set of true big boy clubs were an R1 driver, Adams Tight Lies 3 wood and Callaway X-forged irons. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

I was always interested in watching golf on TV. When my daughter was an infant on weekends for nap time she would sleep on my chest

while I had some PGA tournament on in the background, I figured if TV golf could put me to sleep it should work for her too. 

I did not start playing until later in life, around 37 or so. A business association that I was a member of had their first annual golf tournament

at a public course in Utica NY spring of 2009.

I never picked up a set of clubs before then but a carpenter co-worker I knew played a lot of golf

so I had him give me a couple of pointers and tips on the range one day. I bought a used set of Macgregors from him, Cleveland driver and a Odyssey

putter for a couple hundred bucks. I think I hit one decent shot all day but we had a really good player on our scramble team so all was good.

The following year for our 2nd members tournament meeting we played at a pretty decent course in Sparks, NV. I did much better that day then the year before

but by that summer I was determined to play more and get better. I was hooked.

My grandfather was an avid golfer.  I begged him to play, but at 5-6 yrs old, that was a lot to ask.  When I was 7 or 8 he took me in his large back yard and he showed me how to swing a club.  I practiced, and a couple months later he took me out.  I want to say the clubs he gave me were "Playmate" or "Playtime" nothing fancy, but a junior set .  He told me if I broke 100 it would be a good 9.  I shot a 63.  Ever since I have tried to improve.  When I out grew the junior set I was given his set of Ping eye 2's. (which I still own).  Shortly thereafter I was fitted by the local pro for a set of Dynacraft oversize cobra knock-offs.  Played those through middle school, and have played Pings ever since.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Archived