Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

My game is getting away from me!

Hey Everyone,

Just looking for any advice possible here. I have a match play tournament coming up and want to get back to my normal scores, been much too high lately.

I am usually around the 85-90 range on 18. Handicap is currently at a 13.3 index, but lately have been playing much higher than that. 

My swing was much better to begin this year and now i'm about 10 rounds in and its almost as if I'm getting worse. My drives are getting away from me and starting to slice (I'm a lefty) so always on the left side rough whereas I was splitting fairways to begin. Anything out of the fairway at my club puts me in jail so my game has really been suffering with the tee box troubles.

Does anyone else have this issue? Swing feels great to start the year and then starts getting away from them? I don't feel as though im overthinking anything while swinging, just something mechanical.

Any tips or advice you guys have on what I can try or what to work on to help straighten this out?

Thank you!

First off, welcome. Glad to have another lefty on the forum.

I'm having the exact same issue as you. Getting off the tee has been killing me lately. My miss is a hook. Luckily the rest of my game has been solid enough to keep me in the 80s. I'm still trying to work it out, but I got fitted for a driver and I'm waiting for it to come. I had totally lost all confidence in the one I was gaming. I could hit it great on the range but on the course the confidence wasn't there so for me that was a killer since I just wasn't there mentally.

Do you have an instructor? It could be something simple in your setup that you aren't noticing. If it's something more than that, a good instructor should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Keep us updated and I hope you get it straightened out.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Thanks for the reply, I hope yours gets straightened out as well. Very frustrating. Especially when just 2 weeks ago i was hitting balls 310-320 down broadway!

My uncle is a high school golf coach and is actually a member of the same club as me so i've been trying to find some time with him to spend at the range and on the course. 

I had the hook going last year (every year its something new  :blink: ) Mine was a case of standing too far from the ball at address and reaching too far and coming through the ball causing the hook. It's always something!

First off, welcome. Glad to have another lefty on the forum.

I'm having the exact same issue as you. Getting off the tee has been killing me lately. My miss is a hook. Luckily the rest of my game has been solid enough to keep me in the 80s. I'm still trying to work it out, but I got fitted for a driver and I'm waiting for it to come. I had totally lost all confidence in the one I was gaming. I could hit it great on the range but on the course the confidence wasn't there so for me that was a killer since I just wasn't there mentally.

Do you have an instructor? It could be something simple in your setup that you aren't noticing. If it's something more than that, a good instructor should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Keep us updated and I hope you get it straightened out.

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Where are you located?  I would say that nearly everyone has had similar problems at some point.  Usually when coming off winter, we have no expectations for our swing and we just swing away.  The more we play, the more we tend to get mechanical and our muscles start getting tense.  That causes us to "hang on the swing" and a slice is typical.  I'm saying this because it's happened to me a lot.  jbil is right in that something may have changed in your setup because you are compensating.  Get to an instructor or take a video.  It's interesting what you can see just watching your swing; what you think you are doing may not be what you are actually doing.

BTW, I wish I had your distance off the tee!!  Good job!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thank you! Distance is definitely the strongpoint in my game and helps a lot mid season when the fairways are dry here! I'm in Central Wisconsin, so it makes a lot of sense what you are saying coming out of the winter thaw here. I will do my best to get some videos and do a self critique and see if i notice anything! 

Thanks for the reply! 

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Where are you located?  I would say that nearly everyone has had similar problems at some point.  Usually when coming off winter, we have no expectations for our swing and we just swing away.  The more we play, the more we tend to get mechanical and our muscles start getting tense.  That causes us to "hang on the swing" and a slice is typical.  I'm saying this because it's happened to me a lot.  jbil is right in that something may have changed in your setup because you are compensating.  Get to an instructor or take a video.  It's interesting what you can see just watching your swing; what you think you are doing may not be what you are actually doing.

BTW, I wish I had your distance off the tee!!  Good job!

Here comes 2 more cents.

I can't fix your swing sitting here typing. That will take a little time and training on your part. However, I'm betting I can knock some strokes off your rounds with just my keyboard.

Lefty - You say you're playing a lot from the right rough with that slice. I'm also going to guess if you're like all golfers... and I mean ALL GOLFERS you try much too often to pull off a miracle shot and hope like hell it works this time. Unfortunately, you end up with a double or worse. Now, starting today you're going to play using your brain. Stop trying the impossible or 1 out of a 100 shot. When you're in trouble; get out as easily and cleanly as possible. Even if that means bunting one 5 yards backwards into play. It only costs you 1 shot. Now you have a path to perhaps still save par or at worse case make a bogey. How many shots can you knock off your card even with a slice? I'd guess 5 or more.

So there you have it. Try it during your next round and watch your scores drop. Best of luck in your Match Play event.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hey Everyone,

Just looking for any advice possible here. I have a match play tournament coming up and want to get back to my normal scores, been much too high lately.

I am usually around the 85-90 range on 18. Handicap is currently at a 13.3 index, but lately have been playing much higher than that. 

My swing was much better to begin this year and now i'm about 10 rounds in and its almost as if I'm getting worse. My drives are getting away from me and starting to slice (I'm a lefty) so always on the left side rough whereas I was splitting fairways to begin. Anything out of the fairway at my club puts me in jail so my game has really been suffering with the tee box troubles.

Does anyone else have this issue? Swing feels great to start the year and then starts getting away from them? I don't feel as though im overthinking anything while swinging, just something mechanical.

Any tips or advice you guys have on what I can try or what to work on to help straighten this out?

Thank you!

I'm with PlaidJacket that it is difficult o diagnose swing flaws with a keyboard. But I went through the exact same thing last year. Turns out I was trying to hit the ball further by introducing a weight shift forward (slide but not quite) in a miss guided attempt for more distance. While I grooved the shift forward it prevented my hips from turning and I block/sliced off the planet.

Finally diagnosed the issue and started sending front hip backwards or belt buckle to target or whatever  I thought would get me turning and it straightened my flight. All this to say that you are not alone. My swing goes off every once in a while because I have some great idea for how to improve it.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Have you changed any thing in your clubs, set up or something else minor?

And make sure your change is in your left pocket.

Good luck

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Check your right hand position, have you gotten it in to a weak position on the club, try to strengthen your right hand in your grip, exaggerate it on the range, and get the feeling, could be you have just moved your hand slightly and causing the fade/slice

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Welcome to the forums from a former Wisconsin resident. You've already received lots of good advice including the best advice embedded in a couple of places.

If you don't have one get a teacher now. I read that your uncle is a High School coach but that can mean lots of things. I'm a middle school coach. The first couple of practices I teach basic grip, stance, pre-shot routine and then I tell them about the summer golf programs in our area where they may receive proper professional instruction. I'm guessing your uncle knows where that might be in your area.

Finally don't stress it too much, it's very normal to start the year off like a ball of fire and then have some sort of swing flaw set it. Normally there is some sort of basic that is off, grip, alignment, swing sequence. One lesson and a little time on the range will take care of it. In the meantime as a general rule if the ball is curving into the right rough, tee the ball on the right side of the box and aim left center. If it's curving into the left rough reverse it.

We do have a couple of PGA pros here and also a couple of certified fitters. You will figure out who they are pretty quickly. I'd be reluctant to post a video of my swing for advice on a forum but if one of those pros commented you might strike gold.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Those of us punished with winter often experience a golden few rounds at the start of a new season.  In my case its attributed to a slower swing, and early season greens that don't break and will hold anything you throw at them.  As my muscles get reconditioned I go through an ugly duckling stage with my swing.  Currently I have a tendency to come over the top which results in a pull, or a slice.  A couple range sessions with my coach repeating a good swing and muscle memory takes over.  I'm fortunate that my brother is a the pro at my local club, but a video clip of your swing when you're striping the ball can be very valuable when you develop a bad habit.  You'll get it figured out! 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Those of us punished with winter often experience a golden few rounds at the start of a new season.  In my case its attributed to a slower swing, and early season greens that don't break and will hold anything you throw at them.  As my muscles get reconditioned I go through an ugly duckling stage with my swing.  Currently I have a tendency to come over the top which results in a pull, or a slice.  A couple range sessions with my coach repeating a good swing and muscle memory takes over.  I'm fortunate that my brother is a the pro at my local club, but a video clip of your swing when you're striping the ball can be very valuable when you develop a bad habit.  You'll get it figured out!

This is exactly how I remember it. Now I have other issues because I play year round. Topic for another thread some time. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think this is exactly it. 

1) I watched and read quite a bit of content on proper grip. I do an interlocking grip so was able to identify my top hand (left being left handed) was not turned over the top far enough to start.

2) in videoing my swing, it seems as though i'm doing just as you mentioned the below. My swing did feel much more in rhythm to start the season and was possibly slower, so may have gotten away as I loosened up. In my video i was able to identify I also had a tendency to come over the top causing me to lose it left on impact, hips also dont seem to be turned through the ball. 

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. Looking to spend a good amount of time on the range this week and get this settled and back onto the enjoyable life in the fairway :)

Dustin

I think this is exactly it. 

1) I watched and read quite a bit of content on proper grip. I do an interlocking grip so was able to identify my top hand (left being left handed) was not turned over the top far enough to start.

2) in videoing my swing, it seems as though i'm doing just as you mentioned the below. My swing did feel much more in rhythm to start the season and was possibly slower, so may have gotten away as I loosened up. In my video i was able to identify I also had a tendency to come over the top causing me to lose it left on impact, hips also dont seem to be turned through the ball. 

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. Looking to spend a good amount of time on the range this week and get this settled and back onto the enjoyable life in the fairway :)

Dustin

I used to go through a long swing recovery after a long winter. I bought the orange whip and swung it several times a week all winter this year. My first round out I shot a 77. I credit it all to keeping an nice rhythm and swing plane all winter. It really worked for me. I have only had two rounds in the 80's out of 6 since starting off.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Hey Everyone,

Thank you!

Started the year the same way, first ten rounds were like winter never happened, next ten rounds like I'd never played the game. The last five rounds I just went out picked my target and let it fly were it may. Seems to have worked my scores are now getting back where they should be. This game sometimes gets in our heads and we start thinking to much instead of focusing on the goal of the game. Hope you shake out of it soon....

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Game has been on a steady trend back to normal the past week and a half. Was able to get a quick 9 in last Sunday and 18 the following Monday and shot 41 on the 9 and 84 on the 18. 

Much better rounds and shots felt much better. Driver was still a bit iffy, but have been working on it. 

In further research i've been noticing a lot of advice on taking a slightly stronger grip with longer irons and definitely with the driver so that would be moving my hands further left (being a lefty). Does anyone have insight into this??

Thank you all as always!

Dustin

As a lefty myself, a stronger grip for me promotes a really strong left to right ball flight, which is pretty much a hook, so I stay away from a stronger right hand a try to stay neutral, if I can go with a weaker grip it's better for me as it prompts a straighter shot, or more right to left. Not sure what you are looking for with the stronger grip, but that's what changing the grip weak and strong does for me.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived