Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What bothers you on the course..Pet peeves anyone?

Badfish

Sure we all loathe slow play.  But I often find myself shaking my head in detest over numerous things that I run into out on the course.  Here is your chance to rant about the things that get your blood boiling. 

Ball marks on the green:  While I would wager that the majority of us here take care of our own, I would also wager that we spend many moments a round repairing other peoples.  If you are too old to bend over and repair your mark, then you are too old to play the game.  Another thing. Learn to do it properly.  You have several thousand dollars in gear but you butcher the green using a tee to fix your ball mark?

Tee boxes that aren't flat:  Do we really need undulation on the tee box?  Why is it that on most courses there is only one flat spot for you to tee up?  Not to mention that there is little grass remaining there.  I say save the undulation for the green, and give us a level surface to start our hole.

Music on the course:  I despise people playing music on the course.  I want to hear the wind in the trees, the birds chirping, and the sound of the ball dropping in the cup.  If you want to listen to music then great...wear headphones!  Don't impose your playlist on me. 

Those are my top three (at the moment).  I could most certainly come up with more, but I'll give others the opportunity to vent.  Go ahead, you'll feel better :rolleyes:

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said Badfish,

The only thing I can add which pertains to my course is marking ground under repair. It seems to me they mark GUR but nothing is under repair! It's laziness on the superintendents part I believe. I understand marking GUR shortly before it's actually repaired but; come on guys... after a month you'd think someone could plop down a few squares of sod here and there.  :mad:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I play a lot of public/ municipal golf courses and if we don't have 4 it's almost guaranteed we get paired up with strangers which is fine 90% of the time but at times you get the guy that is always on the phone or his ringer is not on silent- drives me nuts.

Sometimes you get the guy that talks to everyone else's ball except his own (get up! Get legs!)

And sometimes you get the guy that has no idea of golf etiquette, drives his golf cart where it does not belong, walks accross your putting line, does not know when he should or should not hit.

I guess this comes with playing non private courses but some people just don't get it, I can keep going on and on..... Like the group that you hear from 3 holes away yelling and screaming when someone makes a put or the the guy that just doesn't know when to pick up his ball and move on if he is putting for a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This has been been discussed many times...lol.

I suppose the thing that p*sses me off the most is the macho guys that MUST play from the back tees.... because they paid their money, and they will damn well play from where they want!.... just ask them! Then.... they hit their tee shot 150 yds. I always get stuck behind these jackasses!

I suppose the thing that p*sses me off the most is the macho guys that MUST play from the back tees.... because they paid their money, and they will damn well play from where they want!.... just ask them! Then.... they hit their tee shot 150 yds. I always get stuck behind these jackasses!

Yep! I think I did a thread like this a year or two ago haha.

Slow play, not raking the trap right, fixing ball marks poorly if at all, the range being closed for no reason(laziness), and the guy who thinks he hits it 330 when he hits it 260 even though he swung out of his shoes.

I don't care about music and my playing partners can play it all they want. But lately I've come to the point where it drives me nuts if my group is not playing music and the group behind pulls up to our box blaring music and doesn't turn it down. That's just common courtesy. So I guess a lack of manners annoys me.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ball marks are annoying I usually fix 3-4 per green. Can't stand loud music on the course when I play by myself or walk when everyone else is riding I wear headphones. Unraked bunkers annoy me as well.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I love music on the course, but it is usually at a low volume, to where you can here while sitting in the cart, but you can barely here anything while on the tee box.

Slow play is about the only thing I detest on the course.

If you dont like fixing ball marks, play on Bermuda where we play because most times you can't even find the spot where your ball landed on the green

Also, badfish, I am going to stick up for the old guys, I dont like your comment about if you are too old to fix your ball mark you are too old to play, that's poppycock, there is no one that is too old to play, if they can't fix their ball mark then you should fix it for them, and then buy them a beer at the end of the round.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

LOL me too- We get it a lot down here in the tourist season with these tourist jackasses. They do not fix ball marks or rake bunkers etc. Their attitude is Hey we are here on vacation we could care less about this course or it's members. Now I will say in all honesty that not all tourists golfers are like that just some.

I got into it bad with a drunk tourist a$$hole one time. Our course you have a curb about 8 inches high because the management do not want carts in the parking lot period because of several accidents and incidents long ago. Anyhow this drunk loudmouth jumped the curb with the cart. The cart guy yelled hey at him and told him. The guy denied that he jumped the curb with the cart. 3 of us members saw him do it and he cussed the cart guy as he walked off. I confronted him and told him that as a member we did not appreciate his actions. He replied So you guys are members well touch and screw you! I went after him and the guys grabbed me. Well the GM came out and told him he was barred. He said so what? What he did not know is that our golf group owns 21 courses in the area and if you are barred from one it includes all. One of the guys got a pic of the tag and they paid by CC. The police was called and the tag number ran to verify. All 4 of those guys their CC info and names are put in the computer so they are permantly barred from all 21 courses. It is on the computer permantly. LOl I am going to laugh when they drive down next time and try to book a tee time on any of those courses. All the courses down here sorta cooperate no matter the mgt group so I wish them good luck trying to book a future tee time with any course on this beach. They deserve it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ball marks are a big one because one's laziness potentially affects everyone else's experience for a few weeks. Maybe "laziness" is inaccurate - sometimes they're hard to find so we try to fix what we see. It's those players who lack the awareness of his or her obligation to fix them that is the real burn.

Unrated bunkers have cost me more than once, too. No excuses there...you can't NOT know you didn't rake your foot prints!

Music on the course? not a fan. If I can hear it a fairway away, it's too loud! What you and your foursome do should not affect anyone else on the course. You want to listen to the weekly top 40 during a round? Go for it! Just have the courtesy to check the volume to ensure its not carrying.

All three are varying degrees of ignorance. I would like to think forums like this might help educate through awareness.

Taylor Made M3 driver

Callaway Rogue 3+ fairway

Srixon 565 4, 6-A

Titleist H1 4 and 6 hybrids

Vokey 54 and 58

Kor.A.Dor, I was taught to play by a 73 year old.  My golf partner for over ten years was in his eighties.  He passed at 93 and we played 3 weeks earlier.  Neither of these gentlemen would have stood for poor etiquette.  I feel confident that both of them would agree that if you can hit a ball high enough to leave a mark than you can sure as heck bend over to fix it.  I concede that my remarks sound harsh.   It was not my intent to single out the senior community.  It is obvious that you respect your elders, and that is something to admire.  But the old bastards I've played with would easily beat the crap out of the seniors you golf with.  Just saying..  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Mr. Practice swing....It shouldn't take 12 practice swings on every shot.  This ties in nicely to slow play, which is by far my #1.  This can ruin my round quickly. 

Other things that come to mind, long/uneven/bare tee boxes. Apparently at my home course the tee boxes are low man on the totem pole.  Un-raked bunkers....10' "gimmie" putts

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

........... how about "The Guy" that rents a golf cart, drives the cart to hit his second shot, parks 50+ feet away from his ball, grabs a club he thinks he is going to hit only to realize its the wrong club having to walk all the way back to the golf cart......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I've been so fortunate to be at a club for a year as I've had virtually none of the nonsense mentioned here.  We actually have several no phone zones at the club and if you are on the phone on the course you must let others play through.  Also if you take more than 4 hours for a round you will get a visit from the Pro after your round.

Having written that it's coming to an end soon so I'll have to go back to footprints in the sand ball marks on the greens, guys playing from the tips that shouldn't ever be allowed back there, 4 1/2 rounds in 90 degree heat - all that fun stuff.

I'm not going to let it bother me though because I'll be playing golf. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Putting on recently aerated greens....i know its necessary, just dont like playing plinko

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I have never heard a single person playing music on the course when I've been out there. With so much conversation concerning that, I'm kind of surprised honestly.

I really can't stand a few things. First, the guy who has to insist on giving a lesson to his playing partners the whole time he is on the course. Let them play. Help them on the range before/after the round, but not in the middle of it!

I also can't handle guys who are CLEARLY shaving strokes. It's just ridiculous. Or who just play a white stake like it's a hazard. All things that drive me nuts.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

......... or the guy who insists on looking for his lost ball for over 5-10 minutes when he clearly hit it into the deepest, darkest part of the woods 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

......... or the guy who insists on looking for his lost ball for over 5-10 minutes when he clearly hit it into the deepest, darkest part of the woods 

Oh my.... and then insists that he had a 380 yard drive that's just long left of the green and takes his drop there...  :angry:

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Tee boxes that aren't flat:  Do we really need undulation on the tee box?  Why is it that on most courses there is only one flat spot for you to tee up?  Not to mention that there is little grass remaining there.  I say save the undulation for the green, and give us a level surface to start our hole.

Music on the course:  I despise people playing music on the course.  I want to hear the wind in the trees, the birds chirping, and the sound of the ball dropping in the cup.  If you want to listen to music then great...wear headphones!  Don't impose your playlist on me. 

Rounded over Tee Boxes is a very common problem that we see at older muni courses that get a lot of play. A buddy of mine that is a Superintendent explained it to me like this...

The average player pegs it in the middle of the box, and takes a divot, even with a driver...  Over time, these divot holes get filled, and the outer edges of the box never get used as much, so they do not receive as much sand and seed mix. Over the years, a mounding effect happens, and the only way to fix it is to either build up the edges of the tees, or strip out the center of the tees.  Neither option is very popular with membership, so neither option is ever done, leading to mounded tee boxes..  (I hate them too)

As to the music thing...  If your group is the only group on the course, play your music, and watch your tv.  When there are other people on the course. TURN THAT STUFF OFF. I have exactly ZERO interest in hearing your choice in "Music" as I am lining up my 4th putt on 13.  I don't want to hear it when I am driving down the street, or in my backyard, or the park, or on the river, or anywhere else...  Put on headphones...

The thing that REALLY annoys me when I am playing golf are the self righteous goons that will not let small/faster groups through when there is no one in front of them..  I cannot for the life of me figure out how allowing someone who is clearly faster than you to play through will ruin your life.  Play as slow as you want, as long as I am not behind you.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Oh my.... and then insists that he had a 380 yard drive that's just long left of the green and takes his drop there...  :angry:

hahahaha.  you seen that guy too.  It's the same guy that miraculously finds his ball when you know there "aint" no way in HELL it was findable.  Hits his tee shot with a ProV , then all of a sudden its a Rock Flight on the green.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Rounded over Tee Boxes is a very common problem that we see at older muni courses that get a lot of play. A buddy of mine that is a Superintendent explained it to me like this...

The average player pegs it in the middle of the box, and takes a divot, even with a driver... Over time, these divot holes get filled, and the outer edges of the box never get used as much, so they do not receive as much sand and seed mix. Over the years, a mounding effect happens, and the only way to fix it is to either build up the edges of the tees, or strip out the center of the tees. Neither option is very popular with membership, so neither option is ever done, leading to mounded tee boxes.. (I hate them too)

As to the music thing... If your group is the only group on the course, play your music, and watch your tv. When there are other people on the course. TURN THAT STUFF OFF. I have exactly ZERO interest in hearing your choice in "Music" as I am lining up my 4th putt on 13. I don't want to hear it when I am driving down the street, or in my backyard, or the park, or on the river, or anywhere else... Put on headphones...

The thing that REALLY annoys me when I am playing golf are the self righteous goons that will not let small/faster groups through when there is no one in front of them.. I cannot for the life of me figure out how allowing someone who is clearly faster than you to play through will ruin your life. Play as slow as you want, as long as I am not behind you.

I agree the guys or group that doesn't let you play through baffles the hell out of me as well!

I have exactly ZERO interest in hearing your choice in "Music" as I am lining up my 4th putt on 13.

:lol:

And once again I learned something on My Golf Spy - I did not realize the reason for tee crowning!  Thanks MmmmmBuddy -  Being a person who likes to draw the ball off the tee (alright lets be honest a person who has to draw the ball off the tee) I use that slope to my advantage and always tee from the left side.

Do people really take divots with driver? 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

And once again I learned something on My Golf Spy - I did not realize the reason for tee crowning!  Thanks MmmmmBuddy -  Being a person who likes to draw the ball off the tee (alright lets be honest a person who has to draw the ball off the tee) I use that slope to my advantage and always tee from the left side.

Only when I'm hitting it off the deck. Which essentially means, for me? No...

Others: Well I have seen it happen, sadly enough.

YES SIR! And, he ends up with a bogey on the par five because of his miraculous "save" and amazing distance. Oh the rage...

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Bumpy greens are my worst enemy. But they happen so not much you can do sometimes.

Music on the golf course is ok, just not too loud I can hear it four holes over.

The course near me has a green that is like teanager, it's pimpled with ball marks.It's ridicioulous how many there are during tourist season. 

The worst thing you can do is be that guy that putts out before anyone else is on the green every time. Look I get a 3 footer, or maybe you have an putt for 6 and just futzing, but one guy was so rude about it. At one time I hit a wedge and nearly clocked him because he hit his first putt and then his second before anyone else was on the green. Just no common courtesy to wait for everyone.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

The thing that REALLY annoys me when I am playing golf are the self righteous goons that will not let small/faster groups through when there is no one in front of them..  I cannot for the life of me figure out how allowing someone who is clearly faster than you to play through will ruin your life.  Play as slow as you want, as long as I am not behind you.

^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^

The course is wide open in front of two walkers. You come up in a cart from behind. They ignore you. For as many holes as you can stand it.

I do this: drive right by. Avoid eye contact. If they can't see me, I don't see them.

Or, if i feel like waiting, i give them my best crossed legs, leaning on my club, "We're waiting!" Look.

There are probably people that just don't want to let people play through, but at the muni courses around here, most of the people that don't let you play through just don't know that it is a courtesy thing.  Nobody told them.  So, if you catch them on the next tee, ask if you could play through... nicely.

On the other hand, I can understand not letting some groups play through.  I like to walk and on Mondays I walk with 3 guys from the club.  I will admit that a couple of them are slower than I like but everyone is in the fairway for the most part and we do move along.  These are good players, about the same hcp as me.  If the hole ahead is open and a foursome is behind us waiting, we will let them play through.  Singles always get to play through if we are not waiting on the group ahead of us.  However, many times there are several groups of two in carts behind us.  If that is the case, we don't let them play through.  First of all, the club should put them out in foursomes.  Second, they could pair up and they would slow down a little and probably play better golf.  Funny thing is... they never pair up!!  We walk 18 in about 4.5 hours.  If we let every twosome in carts play through, we couldn't finish in 6 hours.

Also, if a group behind me hits a ball into my group in an attempt to "get our attention", they will never get to play through.  They can skip a hole and head to the next tee, but they will never see the courtesy of playing through from me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've seen it. Heck I've probably done it. The older folks do it all the time by us in AZ during winter.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

My biggest thing is when someone is looking in thick grass or the woods for a top flite for more than a minute or two. If you're using cheap balls you're either cheap or you should expect to lose them

Archived