Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

YOUR STATE AMATEUR TOURNAMENTS

PlaidJacket

It's funny how sometimes golf related thoughts just hit you. For me today is that day. First I couldn't decide where to post this topic. There isn't a place in the forum/community that I could find relating specifically to tournaments.

I don't recall seeing any posts from guys saying they are competing in any of their state golf association competitions. For instance I'm a member of the TGA - Texas Golf Association. I'm sure many of you are members of your state association. I've never played in any of our TGA events. Not sure why either. I should have.

Yesterday I was looking at our TGA site and thinking to myself, "why not try and qualify for our State Senior Amateur". I say qualify because today my GHIN is 6.9 and I must have a 6.4 or better to even enter. Our event is open to guys 55 and older. It will be 54 holes of stroke play with a 36 hole cut. I think I'll give it shot. Our entries open June 27th and close August 10th. The entry fee is $325 which includes all three tournament rounds and one practice round. The competition will be held at Escondido Golf & Lake Club, Horseshoe Bay, Texas.

So what about you guys. Do any of you compete in any of your state events? Let's hear about it. If you don't compete.. why not.

(This post is not to discuss your local club blowout kegger and bbq.)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My handicap is trending the wrong way right now forme to compete in a state tournament. I told my wife next year (2017) I want to play in the state Mid AM. That requires a much lower handicap. if I can get it to that requirement y game will be the best it ever has been

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Update already:

I'm now thinking I may have to play my way into the Texas Senior Amateur by way of the West Texas Amateur (senior division). It appears that out of a field of 144 players roughly 80 would be exempt leaving 64 open spots. For the W. Texas Amateur there would a senior field of 42 with about 32 open spots. By placing among top 5 finishers (senior) in the WTA I would become exempt for the Senior Amateur. I'm going for it.

The West Texas Amateur will held July 15-17 at the Rawls Course in Lubbock, TX.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I've played in my State Ams and Opens (Indiana) for about 20 years. I'm a 0 hdcp most of the time but tbh that doesn't really cut it in tournament play. Shooting a bunch of 74s just gets you to either make the cut on the number or miss by 1. So I'm a field filler.

That said, I love tournament golf and have met many fine people and players through the years. I enjoy being good enough to qualify for the events and wish I was just a little bit better to be more competitive in them. The IGA does an excellent job of hosting tourneys and setting courses up properly so it is always well worth the money to participate.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I was going to play this year for the first time in the State Am, but I think I've changed my mind due to poor recent play. Today is actually the last day I can enter a qualifier so I guess I better make up my mind fast. 

Yesterday a guy who is a much better player than myself, and I were talking about exactly this(he played in college and on the mini tours a while back). He said he hadn't been playing well lately and was too prideful to go out to an event like this and shoot 300ish over 4 days. While I wouldn't mind if I shot 300, I do understand his point. He only wants to play if he thinks he can compete which I respect. I on the other hand just want to get my feet wet. From what I remember, the people who usually win the State Am here are usually either kids about to go play in college or players who are currently in college and have more time to practice/play than most people.

I may try and play the State Open or something of that nature later in the year if I can remove head from ass and get my game together. I may not be great but I definitely am not a fan of embarrassing myself either. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

My handicap is low enough but I'm not that caliber of a player.  I tried the state AM in NY and in CT when I was younger and never made it very far in qualifying.

I do well at the city/county level by well I mean competitive, making the cut type stuff.  My best finish ever in any of those things was 3rd place in the Senior Division of the Skip Alexander in ST Pete the year that I turned 55.  I was seven strokes behind the guy who won though, he blew us all away at two under for a two day stroke play event.

For me the State Am stuff would be a pipe dream waste of time.  I'd rather stick to my own club, league, city, county - we have 300K in St. Pete and 900K plus people in our county so that's more than enough competition.  :) 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I play in the city publink tournament. It's a 3 day event flighted and handicapped based on your honesty in telling the truth. Most do and those that don't are usually found by the 3rd day when it's time to play for prizes and such.

I won my flight a couple yrs ago and walked away with a set of Callaway irons.

Looking forward to playing in it this year. Feel good about my game and the direction it's going.

Good luck to all that play and try.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I played in the course tournament years ago in NJ. Took second place my second tournament in my flight and got knocked out in the last two during match play. (was 36, but now 18 hole qualifying stroke play, followed by 7 plus last years champion for match play). 

Down here in AZ it's write in your handicap. I refuse to play in anything where you can write down a number and play that tournament.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

The reason I started this post was my desire to still play a tournament or two. I also wanted to hear about other guys experiences. So, I'm now turning to what I know will be an honest professionally run event. These state golf association tournaments are as good as it gets on an amateur level. One major difference is that there is no monetary gain to be had. No calcuttas, player pools, or cheesy pro shop gift certificates or be won. It's pure golf played at a high level of skill and integrity. They're first class events. What you can win is pride and recognition along with a trophy or medal. Good enough for me.

So, I hope to compete this summer in one or maybe two Texas Golf Association tournaments. Even at the Senor level it's still a challenge. I think my chances are even money right now to make the top 5 in the July regional event. But... should I make it into the State Championship I'll probably be lucky to make the 36-hole cut. I want to find out. 

GO FOR IT !!!!

I played in a couple TGA events, finished middle of the pack(ish) very.  I swear you could hear a pin drop the entire day, different type of feeling.  For me, the hardest thing was adjusting to playing a new course coupled with tournament play.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

The reason I started this post was my desire to still play a tournament or two. I also wanted to hear about other guys experiences. So, I'm now turning to what I know will be an honest professionally run event. These state golf association tournaments are as good as it gets on an amateur level. One major difference is that there is no monetary gain to be had. No calcuttas, player pools, or cheesy pro shop gift certificates or be won. It's pure golf played at a high level of skill and integrity. They're first class events. What you can win is pride and recognition along with a trophy or medal. Good enough for me.

So, I hope to compete this summer in one or maybe two Texas Golf Association tournaments. Even at the Senor level it's still a challenge. I think my chances are even money right now to make the top 5 in the July regional event. But... should I make it into the State Championship I'll probably be lucky to make the 36-hole cut. I want to find out. 

Give it a shot while you can.  If you don't, you will always wonder...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I didn't intend for this post to be about me. Don't want it to be. I'm just popping off about what I plan to do. (I think) I really would rather hear from guys that play or have played in any of your State Golf Association tournaments. Chime in.

Have you ever competed? Why not?

Are you playing in any this year?

What's your best finish?

Etc. Etc.

Good luck to you......I just tried my first tournament last year (i'm 40), it was a great experience, it was just a local city event, but an official tournament none the less.....I'm playing again this year and my only goal is to beat last years score, I may even try to qualify for the city tourney as well

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Interesting Judge. Was it a city sponsored event like a city championship or an official IGA - Indiana Golf Association event? There's a big difference. I'm pretty sure the IGA is the official USGA partner in your state. Take a look.

www.indianagolf.org

Interesting Judge. Was it a city sponsored event like a city championship or an official IGA - Indiana Golf Association event? There's a big difference. I'm pretty sure the IGA is the official USGA partner in your state. Take a look.

www.indianagolf.org

Not an official IGA event, it is more like a city championship, run through the http://fwga.com/ Fort Wayne Golf Association

If you look at that website, I played in the Little City Championship...I thought it was good place for me to start, the course is par 65, all par 3's and shortish par 4's, not any real trouble to get into....I may venture further out of my comfort zone this year and try the city qualifier.....you don't have to qualify for the one I played in, but you do for the City Championship

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

So I've been told that even though I missed the regular qualifiers entry dates, I still have a chance to get in if I want. There is an open qualifier at the place where the State Am is held this year. There are 65 entry places and the top 8 make the State Am. I may play purely because you can't get on that course for less than $125 even with a member and the qualifier is only like $70. Doubt I would make it how I'm playing now but it would be fun. 

So I've been told that even though I missed the regular qualifiers entry dates, I still have a chance to get in if I want. There is an open qualifier at the place where the State Am is held this year. There are 65 entry places and the top 8 make the State Am. I may play purely because you can't get on that course for less than $125 even with a member and the qualifier is only like $70. Doubt I would make it how I'm playing now but it would be fun. 

Sounds like it's worth it and if you approach it like there's nothing to lose... who knows!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Under... I'd suspect if you got to playing more you'd be a contender. You obviously don't get to a 1 hcp without a solid game all round. Some basic practice and more playing. Go for it.

Under... I'd suspect if you got to playing more you'd be a contender. You obviously don't get to a 1 hcp without a solid game all round. Some basic practice and more playing. Go for it.

Yea lack of play and next to zero practice isn't helping me. Whats the most annoying is that it isn't 1 thing that is the problem. There is a different problem each time I go to the course. 

Even when I'm on my game though I don't think I have much shot contending in the State Am. I'm good enough to make the cut and play all 4 days but contending is usually done by what I like to call "Professional Amateur Golfers," which I am not. 

I played in the GAP section and Delaware section for a decade as well as Publinks events in Philly.  Never really contended for anything nor should I have with the time that I was putting into my game.  Glad that I played the events but for now I am going to stick to club events and maybe some MET section team events.  I like the idea of playing tournament golf right now, but just don't have the time to dedicate to getting properly prepared for the events.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I played in the GAP section and Delaware section for a decade as well as Publinks events in Philly.  Never really contended for anything nor should I have with the time that I was putting into my game.  Glad that I played the events but for now I am going to stick to club events and maybe some MET section team events.  I like the idea of playing tournament golf right now, but just don't have the time to dedicate to getting properly prepared for the events.

The only reason I'm thinking of playing is for more tournament experience. The last 2-3 years have been my first tourney golf since before I gave up golf in college. And most of those aren't 1 man, play your own ball tournaments. Some were but not alot. 

The only reason I'm thinking of playing is for more tournament experience. The last 2-3 years have been my first tourney golf since before I gave up golf in college. And most of those aren't 1 man, play your own ball tournaments. Some were but not alot. 

I would say go for it, nothing to lose.  I am glad that I played for all the years that I did, but now it seems that the most pressure I want on my game is a club championship.  Just don't have the time to practice and prepare like I used to and even then it was not a lot.  I also don't have the game that I can grab my sticks, slam the trunk and throw up a round in the mid 60's.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I would say go for it, nothing to lose. I am glad that I played for all the years that I did, but now it seems that the most pressure I want on my game is a club championship. Just don't have the time to practice and prepare like I used to and even then it was not a lot. I also don't have the game that I can grab my sticks, slam the trunk and throw up a round in the mid 60's.

I don't have that game either lol. I'm hoping I can scrape a 73 or 74 and creep through the open qualifier. Then if I play the weekend at the Am it would be a success in my mind.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Go for it. If I had half your game, I would compete whenever I could.

I just like to play and even when results are sub-par, there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Good luck!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

@Plaid Ive played in two State Ams as a regular golfer and was totally out of my league. But hose tournaments are won by guys who are in college or played at major colleges. It's easier for a healthy senior to compete of course but you have to recognize that there will be players in Texas or Florida that will be able to shoot under par in a 3 day event under tournament conditions.

I played in some of those Fort Wayne events that the Judge listed, back in the early 90's. The city championship was normally won at around -5 for 3 days on a course that hosted a then Hogan Tour event. Making the cut into the final day field was a reasonable goal. You'll need to set a reasonable goal. Check out the past five years and see w hat scores have won and at what yardage you will have to play. In Florida its 6,500 for seniors at the State level. Normal winning scores are under par. Making the cut is around 150 for two days. That's possible for me if the stars aligned and the putter were hot.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...

Luckily where I am we have a HUGE ametuer scene. From April to Sept there is an invitational, a 2 man or 3 man, 4 balls and golf associations matches every week. You can have a full calendar if you aren't careful. I'm not state AM quality but playing in the invitationals are a ton of fun and can really build the nerves and pressure situations.

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I made it official this morning and registered for the West Texas Senior Amateur. It's a Texas Golf Association (TGA) event. The tournament will be held July 15-17 at the Rawls Course in Lubbock, TX. There will be about 32 open positions so I hope I get called up. Entries close July 12th. They start the non-exempt selection process by date of entry and then handicap. I was the 4th entry this morning.

Reality check: Last year the 36 hole cut was at +9. Par 72. With my game I think I have a slight chance of maybe making the cut. However, the winner last year shot a combined -2 with a final round at 4 under. 79-67-68. My goal is to first make the 36-hole cut. After that I'd need a miracle to finish in the top 5 and become exempt for the State Championship in September. The 5th place finisher in the WTA last year shot 71-74-74 (+3) That's a little strong for my game. We'll see.

I made it official this morning and registered for the West Texas Senior Amateur. It's a Texas Golf Association (TGA) event. The tournament will be held July 15-17 at the Rawls Course in Lubbock, TX. There will be about 32 open positions so I hope I get called up. Entries close July 12th. They start the non-exempt selection process by date of entry and then handicap. I was the 4th entry this morning.

Reality check: Last year the 36 hole cut was at +9. Par 72. With my game I think I have a slight chance of maybe making the cut. However, the winner last year shot a combined -2 with a final round at 4 under. 79-67-68. My goal is to first make the 36-hole cut. After that I'd need a miracle to finish in the top 5 and become exempt for the State Championship in September. The 5th place finisher in the WTA last year shot 71-74-74 (+3) That's a little strong for my game. We'll see.

Good luck and keep us updated! First step is complete by entering. Stay calm through first couple holes and you'll be good to go!!

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

-17 won our State Am last weekend. I would've had to have a hell of a week to just shoot even par. Guess it's a good thing I didn't play lol. I will be playing other MGA events later in the year though.

• 1 month later...

Well boys my day has almost arrived. Tomorrow I'll tee it up in the West Texas (Senior) Amateur. My tee time tomorrow is 1:20 and 8:00 on Saturday. There are only 30 players from all over the state in the Senior division with a 36 hole cut. The cut will be approximately 1/2 of the field.

Reality check and goals:

I've checked all the handicaps of the entrants/players and I'm standing on a 6.5. That's the highest of any player. Most of the field have anywhere from a 4 down to a +3. The guys I'm paired with the first two days are +1.5 & 1 hcp. players. I know the +1.5 guy so that will be nice.

People say to me to not talk defeatists. I'm not... but I do live in a world of reality. My goal is to of course play good. I'd like to 1st; make the cut. If I could somehow manage that then I'd like to finish in the top 5. That would be a win in my book. Slim chance but I'm going to give it hell.

Archived