TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Mental Game

revkev

I've had an idea to start a thread like this one for some time.  The recent blog article on data by handicap along with a brief exchange about the concept of playing well but not scoring well has caused me to think that it's time.

A note before I start - this thread is about competitive rounds of golf ie. tournaments and money games - it's not about casual rounds with friends - the object of those is always to have fun regardless of score from my perspective.

So here goes:

I read lots about various aspects of the game - driving, iron play, scrambling, putting (short game combined), course management.  I've even read about the "mental game" but rarely have read about it's definition. 

So what does this mental game include in your opinion?

For me it includes course strategy, shot preparation, controlling emotions, not getting distracted by what ever else is going on, managing expectations of what will happen on the shot. 

If I were playing a competitive round I would never be able to write that I thought I played well but didn't score well.  I could think that I played well and someone else played better.  I do believe that the score you make is the one you deserve and that the more you play competitively the more you will see where you are at as a golfer.

Thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have thoughts all the time about my game. I think this will be a very good post Rev and glad you started it.

I play competitive - money games every time I play. For instance... each Saturday round is really a tournament on a small scale. Just today at lunch me and buddy were talking all things golf and swapping stories about the state of our games. I mentioned that I played well last Saturday shooting a 75. Our conversation had been focused on mistakes we make which cost us strokes. When he asked about specific holes during my round I said at the time I didn't really think about it much. In fact I told him I played the entire round without really knowing my total score. I'd recalled walking off the green on 18 and a guy asked what did I shoot. I said... I hope a broke 80. Turned out it was 75. I was a little surprised to be honest. All I did during my round was focus on what was in front of me. Each shot. Time after time.

I wasn't making a conscious effort that day to play that way it just happened. Normally, I know exactly where I stand after each hole. But for some reason on that Saturday I didn't know or even care. I just played.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My efforts this Spring have been to concentrate on my game and shot in front of me rather than my overall score.  To record the score when the hole is complete but not to look at the overall until I am finished.  I am also concentrating on proper nutrition during the round.  As the days get warmer, it will be paramount to stay hydrated.  I do not want to succumb to the dreaded brain farts after 12 holes.  So i start out with a coffee or water, then open a snack about #7 with a Gatorade to take me thru to #13.  Then a water for 14 - 18.  I am also trying to place more emphsis on course mgt.  Since I moved up to the Senior Tees at the end of December, i have had two rounds at 78, with most rounds in the 80's......Unfortunately there are a few in the 90's as well...:(  I have experimented with several set combinations over the winter and now find myself trying to place the ball off the tee in certain areas so that they give me the best chance at approaching the green.  Several holes cannot be played with a driver, as they have creeks and ponds at the 205 yard area, so I am experimenting with fairaways hybrids and long irons.  Lately, the long iron(4) seems to be more consistent than my 5 wood.  Both travel the same distance but the 5 wood gets pulled too often off the tee whereas the 4 iron usually goes down the middle. All in all, my goal is to ensure my mind is in the game and make better course mgt decisions on Saturday morning.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I decided to work on the mental part of golf. I bought and read 1 of Bob Rotella's books about the mental side of golf. For me it was very interesting , I have 4 of his books now and have read them all and others.  A friend recommended "Zen for golf"  I think . I liked Rotella's books better.Rotella says to not add up your score until you have completed the round. If you are keeping the tally in your head you are putting pressure on yourself to score better. Pressure is not a good thing.  I will quite often open up 1 of the books and read a chapter or 2. 

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I decided to work on the mental part of golf. I bought and read 1 of Bob Rotella's books about the mental side of golf. For me it was very interesting , I have 4 of his books now and have read them all and others. A friend recommended "Zen for golf" I think . I liked Rotella's books better.Rotella says to not add up your score until you have completed the round. If you are keeping the tally in your head you are putting pressure on yourself to score better. Pressure is not a good thing. I will quite often open up 1 of the books and read a chapter or 2.

Great books, you may want to also check out Fearless golf conquering the mental game by Gio Valiante and Mike Stachura great read, he has worked with and studied many of the top players on tour.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I know it's the new thing to say it's bad but quite frankly I love pressure. I'd rather be a little nervous in front of 1,000 people than calm in front of 10.

I think Nicklaus, Woods, Spieth love pressure, the more, the better. Being tense and tightening up are a different matter but learning to control your emmotion to stay in the moment, that's what I like.

We had an evening prayer service at church tonight with 250 people there. My Associate was in charge but I had to chant the service. I was also serving dinner. I sat down to eat just when he announced that the service would start in two minutes. Pizza and Gregorian chant don't mix. I was kidding with the guy at my table who played in two US Amatures that it was like showing up late and having no time to go to the range.

I live for those moments

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Mentally, i think that finishing off the round can be mentally taxing, I have played 1-14 very well and then get mentally tired and finish all out of sorts. Mental fatigue and physical fatigue at that point in the round go hand in hand, so being able to manage the physical fatigue can help the mental fatigue to a point, but for me finishing off the good round is difficult, and mentally wears me down. I need to figure out how to get trough that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Mentally, i think that finishing off the round can be mentally taxing, I have played 1-14 very well and then get mentally tired and finish all out of sorts. Mental fatigue and physical fatigue at that point in the round go hand in hand, so being able to manage the physical fatigue can help the mental fatigue to a point, but for me finishing off the good round is difficult, and mentally wears me down. I need to figure out how to get trough that.

Do you normally walk when um you play?

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I used to walk, but here in the Carolinas it is mandatory to ride on the weekends during he times we play our matches, I will walk some on the course depending on how the back feels. when I get mentally tired I tend to think more, and then get a bit tight, one thing I need to do is understand what happens to my swing when the tightness comes into play, and try to recognize it early, to avoid it later.

I think I read that often times the breakdown at the 14th hole is primarily due to dehydration.  We just don't keep enough fluids in us while we are playing.....

During the Winter i have a large coffee and a Gatorade(16 oz) supplemented by some add'l water.  During the Summer I have that plus two more bottles of water during 18 holes.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Back at Kor -

I do think that I have some helpful suggestions for you -

First, Foz's are great - keep hydrated, my Doctor has emphasized that one for me.  In fact as I've gotten older its life threatening for me to not stay hydrated so I start the night before.  But I doubt this is news for you.

Second, don't think about golf between shots.  This is huge and helps with mental fatigue.  Talk about kids, talk about the ball game last night, talk about work, talk about whatever else you want to talk about but don't talk about the particular round that you are playing between shots.  Then provide some sort of trigger that gets you into the moment for your shot at hand, execute the shot and move back to the no golf mode until you are back on again.  You will need to refine and tweak that process for you but you will find that you are fresher if you confine your focus on the round to short bursts rather than four hours.  It's also a great way to avoid counting up strokes etc.  Anymore I rarely know where I stand in a round even though I could easily go back and recount the strokes if I needed to.

I hope that helps.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm pretty sure that my struggles lately have been 90% mental. This thread has been helpful. Also think it's time to reread Bob Rotella's book.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Back at Kor -

I do think that I have some helpful suggestions for you -

First, Foz's are great - keep hydrated, my Doctor has emphasized that one for me.  In fact as I've gotten older its life threatening for me to not stay hydrated so I start the night before.  But I doubt this is news for you.

Second, don't think about golf between shots.  This is huge and helps with mental fatigue.  Talk about kids, talk about the ball game last night, talk about work, talk about whatever else you want to talk about but don't talk about the particular round that you are playing between shots.  Then provide some sort of trigger that gets you into the moment for your shot at hand, execute the shot and move back to the no golf mode until you are back on again.  You will need to refine and tweak that process for you but you will find that you are fresher if you confine your focus on the round to short bursts rather than four hours.  It's also a great way to avoid counting up strokes etc.  Anymore I rarely know where I stand in a round even though I could easily go back and recount the strokes if I needed to.

I hope that helps.

This is great advice!  My best rounds have been when I don't think about my swing, my shots, or my tired body.  I try to enjoy the surroundings; the grass, birds, squirrels, clouds, whatever between shots.  When you get to the next shot, analyze the situation, get in your setup, and trust your swing to your preparation.  It's still just a game, and it should be fun.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will try to focus on doing that later in the round, it's easy to do that early in the round, but as the round gets further in, the tendency is for the tunnel affect where the pressure to finish overtakes the mind and instead of just playing like I have been the demeanor changes from joking and having fun to thoughts of serious golf, and that leads to tightness, or feeling stiff. It's definitely something I need to recognize and make myself aware of.

I will try to focus on doing that later in the round, it's easy to do that early in the round, but as the round gets further in, the tendency is for the tunnel affect where the pressure to finish overtakes the mind and instead of just playing like I have been the demeanor changes from joking and having fun to thoughts of serious golf, and that leads to tightness, or feeling stiff. It's definitely something I need to recognize and make myself aware of.

Exactly after all the third shot a three is no different from the tee shot on 18. I've learned a lot about every shot counting and staying in the moment from my league. I'm always trying to win my flight. That's a 26 week 16-18 round grind. It can't be done in one shot or round but all those times that you finish a good round with 3 straight pars or make bogey where double or worse was possible add up in the end. I've won the A flight twice in nine years. That's pretty good.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

For me, I play better when I don't think at all. This is a lot easier for me as I have played sports and have been given the role of "the guy" during crunch time so I just have the ability to tune out and let my body move. If I have to hit a 3 pointer or a free throw to win the game, I am not thinking about practice. I am not thinking about what my coaches have told me through the years because I know I have the ability to do it. In my mind, if I can make a 3 or a free throw than I have the ability to do it anytime and anywhere.

To work on this and translate it to the golf game, when I am on the range I will purposely hit crazy shots at targets. For instance I'll hit a huge slice 3 wood and then hit a low hooking iron as if I am hitting out of trees because I know that if I can do it once, I can do it.

This may be hard for some but I just let my body do what it knows how to do. I just tune out and almost feel as if I'm not swinging the club but that the club is swinging me.

Also, in terms of playing conservatively or aggressively, I weigh my options and realize that if I drive it 300 yards, wedge it in and 2 putt, I still get the same par 4 than I would if I hit a 5 wood or 4 iron and then hit a 7 iron or so into the green and 2 putt. It's all about taking your strengths and abusing them. If your wedge play is the best part of your game, abuse it. Don't be afraid to layup on a par 5 and wedge it in instead of going for it and being stuck in a bunker and making bogey or worse.

All in all, tune out, let your body execute the shot, and abuse your strengths.

Callaway XR Pro 8* - Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 15* - Project X LZ 6.0

Tour Issue Taylormade R15 19* - Motore Speeder 661 X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200
Odyssey Works #7 CH

I have played a lot of competitive golf over the years and the biggest mistake I see people that are uncomfortable making is bad decisions from overthinking.

Case in point I played the first round of match play at my club a few years ago against someone that I played a ton of golf with. He had never played the club championship for various reasons and decided he wanted to give it a go. We played a quick 18 the night before and he shot two over and he beat me by 4 straight up. Next day he completely changed his strategy and started hitting clubs off the tee that made no sense. I know he is completely uncomfortable with a 3 wood off the tee. Gets to one and pulls a three wood that he promptly topped. Repeat the same thing on 4 instead of an easy iron to the middle of the fairway. By that point he was toast mentally and I closed the match out on 13.

Something to be said for not thinking too much and making bad choices. Hit the shots and clubs that you are comfortable with.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I often say that I just need to get out of my head. I hate when you pull the correct club, and then hit the best shot you've ever hit with it. I had 168 with the flag in the middle, and a stiff wind 10mph in my face, I hit it too good, flew the green and ended up losing the hole, from there I started second guessing club choices,(also known as thinking), I tied 15, lost 16, lost 17, tied 18 to lose 1 down. Thinking leads to more thinking and that leads to tension and that leads to bad swings.

3 very interesting posts in a row that beautifully illustrate golf's challenge. Getting to where the LetterSee is or was in hoops is exceedingly difficult in golf because there is all that time to think. I fully agree that you practice to take the thinking out of play. I also agre that you must play to your strengths. It took me a long time to learn that but I have. Sorry to say Kor but I've also learned how not to do what happened to you. Distance control is a huge part of the game. Learn to take more club and swing easier and it won't happen. But again that takes practice and trusting your game.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

3 very interesting posts in a row that beautifully illustrate golf's challenge. Getting to where the LetterSee is or was in hoops is exceedingly difficult in golf because there is all that time to think. I fully agree that you practice to take the thinking out of play. I also agre that you must play to your strengths. It took me a long time to learn that but I have. Sorry to say Kor but I've also learned how not to do what happened to you. Distance control is a huge part of the game. Learn to take more club and swing easier and it won't happen. But again that takes practice and trusting your game.

Also a good reason to work on short game.  I spend 80% of my time on putting and inside 100 yards when I practice.  I many not be able to get up and down from anywhere, but I think that I can which is the main thing.  Helps me to not think about poor shots or shots that were good but ended up poor.  

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Also a good reason to work on short game. I spend 80% of my time on putting and inside 100 yards when I practice. I many not be able to get up and down from anywhere, but I think that I can which is the main thing. Helps me to not think about poor shots or shots that were good but ended up poor.

When I do get the opportunity to practice I rarely practice with he long clubs, maybe 5-6 shots, most of my practicing is short game, wedges, pitching and putting, I don't really think about bad shots, but when one happens there is a little doubt that creeps in and snowballs from there, I have another match tomorrow, I will see if I can focus on finishing the round this time. It's often 1 or 2 shots that cost me late in the match, I have to figure it out I guess, however, talking things out like this and getting input is helpful for me, process the information and use it later.

One of the quotes I think about whenever I'm not playing well is from The Legend of Bagger Vance. Where Bobby Jones can hit 3 bad shots and hit one good shot to have a good hole. It's not over until it's over.

Callaway XR Pro 8* - Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 15* - Project X LZ 6.0

Tour Issue Taylormade R15 19* - Motore Speeder 661 X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200
Odyssey Works #7 CH

When I do get the opportunity to practice I rarely practice with he long clubs, maybe 5-6 shots, most of my practicing is short game, wedges, pitching and putting, I don't really think about bad shots, but when one happens there is a little doubt that creeps in and snowballs from there, I have another match tomorrow, I will see if I can focus on finishing the round this time. It's often 1 or 2 shots that cost me late in the match, I have to figure it out I guess, however, talking things out like this and getting input is helpful for me, process the information and use it later.

Key is to have a short memory and look forward. Easier said then done but knowing you have a good short game takes a lot of pressure off the long game. Another good tip that takes some time is to never pull the trigger until you are comfortable. 90% of the time you are going to hit a poor shot.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I'm looking forward to today's game. It's going to be windy. Sure, I prefer it not be but generally speaking I play the wind reasonable well. (famous last words.) Here's where the mental aspect comes in to play. A lot of guys just don't adjust their game make bad decisions in the wind. I use it to my advantage. Most guys I see tend to try and overpower the wind. Doesn't work well most of the time. You have to adjust your game accordingly. Play the ball closer to the ground, more bump and run shots. different clubs than normally called for, etc. I love hitting knock-downs and today I'll probably get plenty of opportunities. It's a wonderful shot to have in your bag. Depending on wind direction OB will come into play more and I'm sure I'll see some of that. It's going to be fun and I look forward to it. Not so much for some of the other knuckleheads. We all gamble so today shooting a low score will not be favorable. The winners will be the ones that make the fewest mistakes and manage their game against the conditions.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Well I tell you that's the way you lay and egg to finish, up 2 with 3 to go, bogey bogey bogey, and lost all 3 holes, left edge miss on 16 for bogey, right edge miss on 17 for bogey, and the worst of all a horseshoe on 18. Anger, lots and lots of anger, I didn't hit bad shots, but I lost just the same.

I commented yesterday about playing in the wind. I did played pretty good and kept my focus in balance. I felt in control of my game all day. That is until I entered the final 3 holes. I bogied 16 after missing the green and hitting a poor easy chip. Then I rinsed my tee shot on 17 eventually carding a Double! On 18 I hit my tee shot in the left fairway bunker and missed the green again on my approach carding another bogey. 4 over in the final three holes. Ouch! Going into 16 I was one over on the backside. So what happened? Well.... I started thinking about my bets and shooting a 75. That's what. Big mistake and I knew it. I need a lot more mid to low 70's round to get my handicap down to a 5 and was thinking about it. I let my goal for the year enter my game for the day. In other words I let my long term goal ruin my short term goal of shooting a good round. Is there a lesson to be learned? Yes. The future will take care of itself if I take care of business today.

I've played sports my entire life, and I've been in many pressure packed situations, but in the last few holes of my match on Saturday I felt like Kevin Na when he couldn't pull the trigger. I played really well, yet, I couldn't finish again, I don't care how much I practice or how much I pretend, there is no way to replicate that pressure aside from being in more. I finished the front nine, bogey, bogey, double, for 41, and finished the back nine, bogey, double, bogey, for 40, I was +8 on those 6 holes, and I was +1 on all others, I was I command all day, 2 up through 15, and lost all 3 remaining holes. I put myself in good spots on 2 of the 3 holes, hit a bad chip shot on 16, and 3 putted 18. I am really frustrated with not being able to control my nerves at the end of the round, I was literally shaking while standing over every shot, I had 3 bad shots and 3 bad putts in the last 5 holes, and was 5 over on those holes. I left the course feeling like I didn't ever want to play again, I have mixed feelings right now, part of me can't wait to get out there again, part of me is afraid of this happening all over again.

I've played sports my entire life, and I've been in many pressure packed situations, but in the last few holes of my match on Saturday I felt like Kevin Na when he couldn't pull the trigger. I played really well, yet, I couldn't finish again, I don't care how much I practice or how much I pretend, there is no way to replicate that pressure aside from being in more. I finished the front nine, bogey, bogey, double, for 41, and finished the back nine, bogey, double, bogey, for 40, I was +8 on those 6 holes, and I was +1 on all others, I was I command all day, 2 up through 15, and lost all 3 remaining holes. I put myself in good spots on 2 of the 3 holes, hit a bad chip shot on 16, and 3 putted 18. I am really frustrated with not being able to control my nerves at the end of the round, I was literally shaking while standing over every shot, I had 3 bad shots and 3 bad putts in the last 5 holes, and was 5 over on those holes. I left the course feeling like I didn't ever want to play again, I have mixed feelings right now, part of me can't wait to get out there again, part of me is afraid of this happening all over again.

Have you read Bob Rotella's book? Whenever my game is struggling overall or certain parts of it are struggling I'll either go back and reread the whole thing or the related part of it. It has this strange way of always seeming to help.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

What got you all worked up? Did you have some bets getting to you? Were you playing with a guy you just had to beat that day? I think you're not telling us the whole story. I believe I can honestly say I don't get worked up anymore. I think I've improved because of it. Everyone hits bad shots. You, me. the pros. Everyone. Kor it sounds to me like you need to step back and think about what we're all trying to accomplish. You can't beat this game. You're not perfect. None of us are. Next time you play and hit a bad shot or miss a 2 footer... accept it. You'll play better and feel better. Life's too shot to let missing a shot ruin your game. Think about it.... if you never hit a bad shot or missed a putt you'd probably leave the game. Part of (the fun) golf is playing to be perfect knowing all the while you'll never be. Hang in there. The Gods will give you a few next time.

What got you all worked up? Did you have some bets getting to you? Were you playing with a guy you just had to beat that day? I think you're not telling us the whole story. I believe I can honestly say I don't get worked up anymore. I think I've improved because of it. Everyone hits bad shots. You, me. the pros. Everyone. Kor it sounds to me like you need to step back and think about what we're all trying to accomplish. You can't beat this game. You're not perfect. None of us are. Next time you play and hit a bad shot or miss a 2 footer... accept it. You'll play better and feel better. Life's too shot to let missing a shot ruin your game. Think about it.... if you never hit a bad shot or missed a putt you'd probably leave the game. Part of (the fun) golf is playing to be perfect knowing all the while you'll never be. Hang in there. The Gods will give you a few next time.

I have no idea what happened or why, just all of sudden I couldn't take deep breaths, I started shaking, and I felt like I couldn't swing the club. My buddy and I were joking around and talking the whole day, but when I stood over the ball I didn't feel like I could even swing, it was a horrible feeling, I've never had that happen before. I was even on the back nine through 15, and then the game was gone. It was like an avalanche.

Archived