Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial Review: Imperial Cooling Towel

numberonecoog

Today I take a look at the Imperial Instant Cooling Towel.Measuring at 36"X 12" this product is designed to cool you off on the course. It requires you to get it wet then you wring it wet and finally you wave it. Imperial is primarily a head wear company. They have been around since 1916 and are based out of Bourbon, Missouri. Big fan of the city name by the way. 

20160503_214615.jpg?w=680

Pros:

It does exactly as it is advertised. My golf bag usually has 3 towels one for my hands and face and anything else and the other is for my clubs. I normally dont get these towels wet and just play with them dry but for the sake of this review I decided to get the 'body towel" wet. When I compare the Imperial towel wet and waved it around it would get significantly cooler. When I waved it around it would get cooler than if I hadnt waved it. When I say it gets cool I mean it gets COOL. It was almost too cool to even put on my body. I can imagine when it gets to about 100 degrees here in Texas it will feel even better.  The other thing I really liked was having the cooling and wet feeling on my body without the feeling of my hands being soaked. When I grabbed my normal towel it was soaking wet. Even after a wringing it left my hands feeling very slick. The Imperial towel uses moisture wicking material that somehow keeps the towel damp while making it not slick. I loved this about the towel.Quite a few people were interested in the towel and what it did. It was also very soft.

20160503_214643.jpg?w=680

Cons:

I dont have many cons on this item but there are a few. First is the fact that I have to keep it wet. It does dry out fairly quickly. Out on the course this left me some time where I had a dry towel that couldnt keep me cool. No amount of popping would keep it cool when not wet. I found my self hoping that a water cooler was coming up soon. The other problem I had was it was so far out of my normal routine it threw me off. I played about 6 or 7 rounds with the towel and on 3 of them I totally forgot to go into the bathroom and get it wet before the round. On hole 3 I was usually grabbing the towel and running over to the water cooler.

20160503_214705.jpg?w=680

Conclusion:

Overall I like the towel. Im not sure i would drop $20 for it. I will admit I am kind of cheap so I can think of other things I would spend $20 on. I am also from Texas. The heat doesnt bother me. That being said its a product that does EXACTLY what it says it does. It is a good quality towel. If you are looking for something like this I would advise you to take a good hard look at this product. It may not be the product for me but it does its job well. Overall I give it a 90/100 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Nice unofficial review coog!

My wife and I have a similar towel, just not the Imperial, and it is a must here when the temperatures get well over 100*.  Last year I bought an Imperial hat and it does the same thing.  Most of our courses have water jugs, 2 per nine holes, and I soak the hat and wave it around.  It feels good when you put it back on your head.  The problem is that it dries out quickly (108* and low humidity does that!) and even though it's wet/damp for a hole or two, I have to keep taking it off and waving it to get that cooling sensation again.  It's better than not having it, but it is a distraction.  Works better if you are riding in a cart as you can wave it while moving.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice review coog. Thanks.

I have to notice... it's like towel companies have just discovered how "evaporative" cooling works. lol Get wet - wave around. Shazam! It's a miracle.

I've tried special cooling towels before. Frogger for example - ditched it. After about 5 holes it was dried out like a strip of jerky. Like you mentioned Coog, in Texas it gets pretty hot. Where I am it's hot... and dry. Evaporative cooling works much better in a dry climate as opposed to a humid climate. Anymore and on the hottest summer days I just use a basic ole cotton towel available from the bag room and keep it wet as much as possible.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks numberone........now let's get on to the more important stuff........about this town in Missouri, Bourbon.  Tell me more.......Hmmmm

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks numberone........now let's get on to the more important stuff........about this town in Missouri, Bourbon.  Tell me more.......Hmmmm

Thats what I was thinking too! It may be a place I need to visit

Huntingforbirdies.com

Can anyone compare this to a frogg togg? I use one of those in the summer when it gets too hot. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Bought a cooling towel this spring (not sure what brand, it was a Target Cartwheel deal) but hasn't been nearly hot enough to even open the package yet.

My plan was throw it in the cart and when we pass the holes with water jugs, get it wet and give myself a shot of cool around the back of the neck.  I don't expect it to be something that lasts very long, but every few holes will be able to cool down for a few minutes.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Bought a cooling towel this spring (not sure what brand, it was a Target Cartwheel deal) but hasn't been nearly hot enough to even open the package yet.

My plan was throw it in the cart and when we pass the holes with water jugs, get it wet and give myself a shot of cool around the back of the neck.  I don't expect it to be something that lasts very long, but every few holes will be able to cool down for a few minutes.

If it doesn't work give the Frogg Togg a look. Works great for me in the hot MS summers.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have to notice... it's like towel companies have just discovered how "evaporative" cooling works. lol Get wet - wave around. Shazam! It's a miracle.

I've tried special cooling towels before. Frogger for example - ditched it. After about 5 holes it was dried out like a strip of jerky. Like you mentioned Coog, in Texas it gets pretty hot. Where I am it's hot... and dry. Evaporative cooling works much better in a dry climate as opposed to a humid climate. Anymore and on the hottest summer days I just use a basic ole cotton towel available from the bag room and keep it wet as much as possible.

Ya, I agree, that frogger towel drys up like a piece of Beef Jerky in the South Texas heat in the summer.  I got a cooling towel from Lowes on sale one day, does a much better job.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

You need more water jugs on the course.  We have one on tees #5 and #8 on the front and #13 and #16 on the back.  On the weekends I get a large cup of ice water from the drink cart girl for those in-between holes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There are two water stations on each 9 at my club. Kenny what's kind of cool is that the course is old school design. After playing the 4th hole you're back at the clubhouse returning once again after #9. Then after coming off #12 you skirt close by the clubhouse and again after walking off #14. There's ample opportunity for beverages. Of any kind.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There are two water stations on each 9 at my club. Kenny what's kind of cool is that the course is old school design. After playing the 4th hole you're back at the clubhouse returning once again after #9. Then after coming off #12 you skirt close by the clubhouse and again after walking off #14. There's ample opportunity for beverages. Of any kind.

Precludes the port-a-pottys on the course too!

• 2 months later...

What's the difference between these cooling towels and any other microfiber towel out there? Are there particles in the towel itself that make the towel really cool when wet? Can't you use a regular microfiber golf towel and just wet it?

cooling towel.JPG

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

The biggest difference is this one is more of a dri fit type texture. It retains water and doesnt feel wet. As far as the cooling it is a special fabric that helps with evaporation Ibelieve. That evapaoration provides cooling.

Huntingforbirdies.com

Archived