Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New clubs for my 9 yo son

MattF

I need to buy new clubs for my son. His first set is now too short for him and with the lessons he's having at the moment, he's borrowing a set from the training centre.

My quandary is, do I purchase a kids set for about $130 or do I spend more cash and make him a set that I can just change shafts out every time they don't fit anymore.

Also, if I build him a set, the instructors said he could use steel shafts...what think you, light weight junior steel shafts or graphite.

He's about 57" tall and over 100lbs...he's "husky", like me.

Thanks for any help. 

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If he's really enjoying the game I say build him a set. Golfworks is just a day drive away and I bet he'd get a kick outta picking out his own stuff.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That's what I'm thinking mate, but...if I go that route I'll be using their L Tech line, which is more a ladies clubs (he doesn't have to know). They're blue and a lighter weight head than any of the others.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

That's what I'm thinking mate, but...if I go that route I'll be using their L Tech line, which is more a ladies clubs (he doesn't have to know). They're blue and a lighter weight head than any of the others.

You could always backweight them to keep the swingweight down as well if he wanted some like yours

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

If he's really enjoying the game I say build him a set. Golfworks is just a day drive away and I bet he'd get a kick outta picking out his own stuff.

I think this would be great.  Don't they have people that can help pick out the right components to fit your son?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Matt, I would be most concerned with getting clubs that fit, especially in terms of weight. Too heavy will screw up his swing. Don't they having fittings or guidelines?

That's why I thought of going with womens heads, they're 50+ grams lighter than mens.

I think this would be great.  Don't they have people that can help pick out the right components to fit your son?

I imagine they do, which means doing what Theo suggested and taking a road trip there.

You could always backweight them to keep the swingweight down as well if he wanted some like yours

Nice idea, but I think at this stage he needs SGI clubs.

Wife told me today that her Dad was told by the instructors that they think he's a natural...which is a thrill for me to hear that.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Road trip means I can meet y'all there as well

Indeed. Actually, Im probably going to be there myself on Saturday June 4th. I have to go to Mansfield and have my truck lifted, so I'm going to head down after that.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Indeed. Actually, Im probably going to be there myself on Saturday June 4th. I have to go to Mansfield and have my truck lifted, so I'm going to head down after that.

Now there's a man on a mission!!  "I HAVE to go to Mansfield and HAVE my truck lifted."    :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Now there's a man on a mission!!  "I HAVE to go to Mansfield and HAVE my truck lifted."    :D

If you've ever been to Mansfield you know you don't go there unless you have to lol

Yep, HAVE to. Been wanting to for years and a friend's same truck's frame has rusted through, so I'm getting the lift of his.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Let's back up your 9 year old is 5'7" 100?

Ask the pro at the club for his thoughts. With my middle schoolers who are often that size I recommend women's clubs because that's what my pro suggested.

In regards to steel/graphite that's a dilemma for the next set. When I got fit at the Tour Performance center my fitter there believed that in the not so distance future we will see a large number of PGA players with graphite 30 to 40 percent.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

57" not 5' 7", I'm only 5' 8"!

In the bag:

Bag: 

Most Junior golf sets only go up to about 5"........So I would look at used men's with Regular steel shafts.....you can get a great set for about $100.

At my club there are always one or two guys wanting to sell a slightly used set.  After all, we all started out with Regular Steel standard clubs and look how great we are now!.....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I bought these for my son when he was 8 and now at 10 years old he is still using them.  Not too hard on the wallet and the quality was better than I expected.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30148825/macgregor-junior-boy-s-tourney-full-set-ages-7-9-

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I bought these for my son when he was 8 and now at 10 years old he is still using them.  Not too hard on the wallet and the quality was better than I expected.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30148825/macgregor-junior-boy-s-tourney-full-set-ages-7-9-

I'm eyeing these: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30083271/tour-edge-junior-ht-max-j-4x1-5-piece-set-ages-9-12-

I was going to suggest USKG but then you said he is my height. Nevermind I got nothing for you lol

57" not 5' 7" God help me if he was 9 and an inch shorter than me.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I'm eyeing these: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30083271/tour-edge-junior-ht-max-j-4x1-5-piece-set-ages-9-12-

got it. USKG isnt a bad idea either. I know alot of kids who use them. It really is good stuff

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I'm eyeing these: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30083271/tour-edge-junior-ht-max-j-4x1-5-piece-set-ages-9-12-

If he was that tall at 9 you'd be buying him a basketball not golf clubs lol

Decision made, of sorts. For the time being, we're going to Play it Again Sports and looking at what they've got that was traded in.

If he's still into it next year (I hope he is) I'll be building a set for him.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Archived