TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rules Question re Relief from Animal Burrow

~^~

I hit my drive into a tree. The ball dropped straight down inside a racoon hole. I found my ball deep in the hole. Took a free drop from abnormal ground condition caused by burrowing animal. In taking relief from the ground condition, i had to drop under the tree. After the first drop, The low branches then interfered with my backswing. I decided the lie was unplayable. Took a penalty stroke and dropped a second time clear of the tree. Then i was laying 2, hitting 3.

Was this correct? Or was i entitled to full free relief from the racoon hole to a point where my swing was not impeded?

You were correct. Relief from any abnormal condition doesn't always make things better! Always check where you are going to take a drop, before picking up your ball, it may be worse (unlikely if in a burrow, but gur can be better than nearest point)

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Had to take a drop from a burrowing animal hole in the corner of a bunker on a Par 3 once.......so had to drop in the bunker.  When it dropped it became a fried egg...UGH!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've found the following site to be a valuable resource for reading about the rules. Barry Rhodes.

http://www.barryrhodes.com/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Peaksy, thank you for answering. Yes, the ball was a foot below ground level in the burrow. I dropped 2 clublengths from the disturbed ground, but was still under the tree. From there, i had a restricted backswing, and was looking at least 150 yards to carry a creek.

In retrospect, i should have punched out after the free drop. But at that point i was thinking i should get full and free relief, so took my drop back out from under the tree. Afterward, i thought about it and decided i needed to add a penalty stroke.

• 2 weeks later...

Peaksy, thank you for answering. Yes, the ball was a foot below ground level in the burrow. I dropped 2 clublengths from the disturbed ground, but was still under the tree. From there, i had a restricted backswing, and was looking at least 150 yards to carry a creek.

In retrospect, i should have punched out after the free drop. But at that point i was thinking i should get full and free relief, so took my drop back out from under the tree. Afterward, i thought about it and decided i needed to add a penalty stroke.

I just saw this post. In taking relief from the Abnormal Ground Condition, you're only entitled to drop within one club length of your nearest point of relief, not two. ;)

When taking relief for an Unplayable Ball, you're entitled to drip within two clublengths of the spot where the ball was lying, if that's the option you choose.

In both cases, your drop can be no nearer the hole.

Also, don't forget that Rule 28 allows you to either proceed under stroke and distance (Rule 27-1), or keep the point where the ball was lying inline with the flag and drop as far back on that line as you want.

Archived