TESTERS WANTED! ×

U.S. Open at Oakmont, June 16-19, 2016

~^~

There are no short hitters on tour. Its very analogous to baseball pitchers. That soft throwing lefty still touch's 90 from time to time. I've both caugh and hit against guys that throw 90. Its anything but short.

275 average off the tee is anything but short. Lots of guys think that they hit it that far. The probably do a few times a year. They don't average it.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Generally the Players never play the course all the way back. Last year was the first time ever that the US Open ever touched 8k yards over 4 days and guess who came out on top, a kid people call "short" off the tee. In truth he isn't short by any means but he isn't what I'd call long either. Longest US open in ever was won by the Speith not DJ. That says it all to me.

Gotta do it all. Fairway, green, below the hole, make a putt, don't three Jack...

That was painful to watch. Almost as painful if not more than the 7 putt Ernie had.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

That was painful to watch. Almost as painful if not more than the 7 putt Ernie had.

I recently missed a 3-4 footer for birdie to tie in the second hole of a playoff with 150 people watching at top of a green. I'm never judging DJ or anyone for missing something like that ever again

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'm not much of a DJ fan but in fairness he went for the win. By doing so he opened the door for a loss but he went for it.

Get a grip likes to harp on it but there is no doubt that he's right, if you putt them all out you will miss some very short putts. I've missed a few shorter than 3 feet in leagues and tournaments. In the US Open you can have longer ones than you missed coming back. A two footer can be a 4 footer very easily.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The greens at Oakmont will neutralize those who excel at putting, so I expect players like DJ, maybe even Billy Ho, will be in contention. 

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

The greens at Oakmont will neutralize those who excel at putting, so I expect players like DJ, maybe even Billy Ho, will be in contention.

That's an interesting take and it may be true to an extent. You aren't going to win at Oakmont by playing Bomb, gouge and putt. Winners there hit the fairway, keep it below the hole and minimize three the putts. The latter is a putting skill too it's just not as sexy as holing birdies.

For that reason I like Zach Johnson not Dustin. He will play fairways, greens and has a great wedge game for when he misses the fairway.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That's an interesting take and it may be true to an extent. You aren't going to win at Oakmont by playing Bomb, gouge and putt. Winners there hit the fairway, keep it below the hole and minimize three the putts. The latter is a putting skill too it's just not as sexy as holing birdies.

For that reason I like Zach Johnson not Dustin. He will play fairways, greens and has a great wedge game for when he misses the fairway.

Well then I would be screwed there. Maybe not so much 2 years ago when I was a better iron player but definitely screwed now. Jason Day might be a good one if he's hitting 2i off the box all day. He'll prolly be passing up ZJ's drives with it lol.

Zach needs to start trending in the opposite direction since his solo 5 at the Arnold Palmer. Now that I've said that he will win the Colonial or whatever they call it now...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Looks like we're gonna get plenty of bitchin and moaning. I'm ready http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-the-usga-is-preparing-oakmonts-greens-for-the-us-open

It makes you wonder why a club would want to host a US Open.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Looks like we're gonna get plenty of bitchin and moaning. I'm ready http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-the-usga-is-preparing-oakmonts-greens-for-the-us-open

From said article: â€œIn the last two growing seasons, the putting greens at Oakmont Country Club have been double drilled-and-filled four times, core aerated five times, deep verticut five times and deep-tine aerated four times,” Bevard wrote. “The aeration programs implemented at Oakmont Country Club are very aggressive and represent a significant disruption to playability that most golfers would not tolerate.” And during the Open, the greens “will be mowed four times and rolled twice daily.”

Anyone who has any concept of, or experience with, turf management will know how absolutely over-the-top and diabolical this is. Go ahead and get your Ernie Els Master's jokes out of the way and your crying Michael Jordan photoshops ready.  

Archived