TESTERS WANTED! ×

How many wedges?

chemclub

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but it is always good to refresh.

How many people game 4 wedges >50* (Gap, Sand, Lob, Xloft)? I really don't count the pitching wedge as a wedge anymore since they are stronger than 48*.

I have been reading Dave Pelz's short game bible because, frankly, my short game is the weakest part of my game, lack of play and lack of practice. I see improving on it as the best way to lower my scores.

Pelz recommends a 64* wedge to give you even more options under 100 yards using his 4x3 wedge system (4 wedges, 3 swing lengths, 12 distances, for me 12 distances under 120 yards).

That means I would have to drop a long club and possibly expand the distance gaps at the top of my bag. The types of courses and yardage I play means I am only rarely hitting >200 yard shots into the green, and if I have to lay up on a par 5, well my stellar wedge play elsewhere will more than make up for that. 

Any thoughts on Pelz or your wedge selection?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Bah! I meant to post this in Golf Talk (the 19th hole). Help me Obi-wan Ken-administrators. You're my only hope.

What's worse? Bad golf etiquette or bad forum posting etiquette?

right now, I am only gaming a 52* and 56*, due to changing my bag after winning some awesome Wilson Staff's....I will most likely be adding the 60* from that set at some point....I can't see adding a 64* personally, a 60* is hard enough to hit on a full shot for me

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Pelz recommends a 64* wedge to give you even more options under 100 yards using his 4x3 wedge system (4 wedges, 3 swing lengths, 12 distances, for me 12 distances under 120 yards).

That combination will probably have a couple of distances coming up twice, which is just overkill IMO.

I play 50, 54, 58 and that covers it all for me.

I've even considered going back to a 2 wedge set up (excluding PW).

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

The 60* has always been something I've used sparingly, mostly when i short side myself and need a chip to get up and land softly.....full shots have been known to become hosel rockets :)

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

it depends on the course that I am playing.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I currently use GW 50*, a 56* bent to 54*, and a 58*. I have never really found myself needing anything else wedge-wise, although I always find myself browsing 64* wedges online and pretending it would benefit me in some way. Its not like I need another opportunity to leave a ball short of the green...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

That combination will probably have a couple of distances coming up twice, which is just overkill IMO.

Pelzs points to overlapping yardages as a key feature of the system. You can hit 55 yards with a high trajectory using a 9:00 swing with the Lob or a lower trajectory Gap wedge to 58 yards using a 7:30 swing (the time being the length of your backswing against a clock, your arms are the minute hand). Pelz says that you should be able to hit 55 and 58 yards with precision.

64* also doesn't seem like a standard loft that you can easily find. Of course any shop will order it.

My setup as well.  I can do anything with the 58 SCOR wedge that I could do with any higher lofted wedge.

right now, I am only gaming a 52* and 56*, due to changing my bag after winning some awesome Wilson Staff's....I will most likely be adding the 60* from that set at some point....I can't see adding a 64* personally, a 60* is hard enough to hit on a full shot for me

I can't remember the last time I hit a full shot with my 58.  I can do it, but I just don't need to do it.

EDIT:  Doesn't mean that I don't practice it though...  got to be ready!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play a 52*, 58* and either a 62* or 64* depending on the course.  The 62* seems to work better for me at my club in the sand and around the greens, rarely try a full shot with it.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I can't remember the last time I hit a full shot with my 58. 

Drop zone, tee box side of a par 3 over water, is my go-to full swing 58* shot. Y'all gonna act like you never been there...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

50, 54, 58 for me. I don't typically hit full shots with the 58. My 54 is my go to club inside 100 yards. 58 is my bunker club and for specific shots around the green.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Drop zone, tee box side of a par 3 over water, is my go-to full swing 58* shot. Y'all gonna act like you never been there...

What's a drop zone?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What's a drop zone?

A Bad Wesley Snipes movie...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I keep a gap wedge at 50 degrees and a 56 degrees, the 56 I have I use as a sand or lob wedge depending on the situation.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

As for Pelz what he says makes sense and works for many people.  I've employed his method in the past but as I've gotten shorter I've gone away from it.  I need the clubs in the longer part of the bag because I use them more frequently.  I find it far easier to know how to control the 54 (using Pelz's method) so that I can hit it very comfortable from 65 to 89.  I am comfortable with the 60 up to 65 (sometimes longer but I prefer not to hit it full.)  I hit my 48 from 90 to 110. 

As for a 64 - it sounds good on paper but it is not so easy a club to hit - unless you have lots of time to work on your short game I'd recommend against it.  Really anything over 58 is more difficult to hit than people realize.

BTW I prefer Stan Utley for the short game over Pelz.  He is much simpler - someone who is an engineer might prefer Pelz. :) 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As for Pelz what he says makes sense and works for many people.  I've employed his method in the past but as I've gotten shorter I've gone away from it.  I need the clubs in the longer part of the bag because I use them more frequently.  I find it far easier to know how to control the 54 (using Pelz's method) so that I can hit it very comfortable from 65 to 89.  I am comfortable with the 60 up to 65 (sometimes longer but I prefer not to hit it full.)  I hit my 48 from 90 to 110. 

As for a 64 - it sounds good on paper but it is not so easy a club to hit - unless you have lots of time to work on your short game I'd recommend against it.  Really anything over 58 is more difficult to hit than people realize.

BTW I prefer Stan Utley for the short game over Pelz.  He is much simpler - someone who is an engineer might prefer Pelz. :)

Thanks rev. I'm a scientist so Pelz's approach was right in my wheel house. Lots of data and physics. I often have trouble with qualitative descriptions, but with data you can look and decide for your self. To each his own obviously.

You aren't wrong either. Pelz does seem to make things seem complicated. I will be sure to check out Utley.

I consider my 45 part of my wedge setup because it matches my wedges, not my irons.  So I go 45, 50, 54, 58 and I have a 63 I rotate in and out with a 15 degree hybrid based on conditions and course.  

I've been having pretty good success lately with adjusting my grip.  I have a full shot with each club which is a shorted back swing but full controlled effort.  Then I can try and step on it for a little extra.  Or I choke down to the steel and take the same swing to take a little off.  So a choked to the steel 54 is similar distance to a full stepped on 58.  Just depends on where the flag is, what my lie is and how I'm playing as to which one I hit.

Once I get inside 75-80 yards it's basically a feel game for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

BTW we've had similar but not duplicate discussions on other threads. 

I will go Pelzian on other clubs as well all the way to 6 iron - I might hit gripped down 6 to a back pin down wind shot from 140 - I could have hit 8 to that same pin but if there is no trap in front it's so much easier to hit that low 6, have it land up front and run up the green to the pin.  I also learned to play with my starter set that had only the odd numbered irons so I learned to play shots to cover the gaps from the time that I was 10 years old.  I found that I was almost always more accurate with the gripped down longer club than I was with the full bore end of the bat shorter one. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

using vokey 46*, 50*, 54*, and 58* for this very reason, thought I have not read any of his work

That way pitches work 10,20,30,40 with respect to lofts

Half wedges work 46, 55, 64, 74 

And full shots just being about 2x those. There is a distance gap between 74-92, but is easily manageable by a modified pitching wedge half shot or full Lob. Has helped tremedously for all 150yd shots and in. I am by no means "laser" accurate but can safely aim for the middle of the green as Niklaus would say.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

47 56 60 for me. Remember I am playing older clubs with traditional lofts and learned old school so I manilipuate the 47 quite a bit so no distance issues for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have 49, 53, 57 MD3. I have no use at all for anything more lofted than those, the 60, and 64 degree wedges are extremely difficult to hit, at least they are for me. So I have never thought about adding one of hose, and don't plan on looking to do so.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

52,56,60 for me. I'd like to find a 46° wedge to replace my pw for more options.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

52 is my 115 club, 58 is the 100 yarder and 60 is my all purpose club. I also carry an A gap wedge that goes around 125. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I remember years ago almost everyone had a PW that was about 46 or 48, then a 56 SW and maybe, just maybe a 60.  The jack lofts of the irons created a big gap between the PW and the SW so people added the gap wedge around 50 or 52.  With so many options these days, I am amazed that many of us are carrying 50, 54, and 58 as the wedge set.  Those lofts weren't available when I started playing unless you had your wedges bent.

You mean great Wesley Snipes movie.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not sure there is such a thing.... A Great Wesley Snipes movie is like a unicorn, or a Narwhal. Nice to imagine about, but don't exist in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm very familiar with drop zones :D

I would blade my 58* across the pond, so I choose to half-swing my PW for 55-60 yards.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I was gaming  a 45/49/53/57 SCOR wedges......but now, since I am reviewing the Cobra Tecflo irons, I have a 45 & 50 Cobra then a 57 SCOR & a 60.  I removed the 3W for awhile so I could put the 60 in the bag...It also lets me use the 4 iron more for my review.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I was gaming a 45/49/53/57 SCOR wedges......but now, since I am reviewing the Cobra Tecflo irons, I have a 45 & 50 Cobra then a 57 SCOR & a 60. I removed the 3W for awhile so I could put the 60 in the bag...It also lets me use the 4 iron more for my review.

My set up is 45, 49, 53, 57, and I really like the set up 45 is 135, 49 is 125, 53 is 115, and 57 is 105, before the md3 wedges I was all over the place, now I can grab a club and go.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived