Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Vision Test

revkev

I was intrigued by this article on the blog and intend to take the challenge.  It's always fascinating to me how things come full circle or more accurately how the pendulum swings. 

Many have observed that modern players seem too technical so this sort of theory as a counter balance makes sense. 

On the other hand if I have not technical skills I'm not going to hit good golf shots.

My current teacher would by into this theory at least in part.  When I recently asked him about what part of the ball I should be looking at he said, that's the last thing you should be thinking about.  How about trying to hit the guy in the bay behind you with your club  - that would be a better swing thought.  Seriously he has me trying to hit low fades without worrying about anything else - Suddenly I'm taking a divot and hitting a very nice medium straight ball with all of my clubs.  I've also had to start teeing the ball lower with my driver. 

I'm anxious to try the blind shot thing.

How about the rest of you guys?  Any thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Right in the lumberyard

original.jpg

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Someone mentioned this in the comments of the blog article, but I have some serious scepticism over the results of the test.  If you look at the test results it seems like the 2 groups have very different ability levels.  The total driving chart has the vision testing group starting with an average of 175ish and the control group with an average of 220ish.  I would expect the 175 group to have more room for improvement, and I would be very interested to find out if practicing twice a week for 6 weeks had as much or more to do with the improvement than the glasses.  Same thing for the other chart, when the starting distance is so short there is a lot more room for improvement than for someone who already hits the ball a long ways.

Take your swing speed, multiply by 1.5 and then plug that ball speed into the trajectory optimizer and play with the numbers to find ideal launch and spin.  That is your maximum potential for distance unless you can swing faster.  I just don't see that big of a gain for the guys who are already striking the ball well.

Could this be a great way to fast track learning how to swing when someone is starting out?  Maybe.  Is this going to add 15 yards to your average single digit handicapper?  I'm thinking no.

It's tough to read articles like this when nothing about the test panel resembles any part of your game and there is no backstory on who the golfers are or their ability levels other than average distance off the tee.

Rev - I'm very curious of your results if you decide to try this out.  It would be great to hear from someone who is already a good ball striker.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Maybe Tony will jump on and tell us more about the test.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I went to a golf schol a couple of years ago and one of the drips they had me try was to hit partial shots with my eyes closed. At first, I completely missed the ball. After some work, I got to making good contact. I worked my way up to hitting full shots.

The drill is great to free yourself from mechanical thoughts and to ingrain feel. When I got out of sinc on the course, I would take a few practice swings with my eyes closed. It helped to get my swing back.

It's a drill that I still do on the range.

I don't know why you need blackout glasses, however. Just close your eyes.

I went to a golf schol a couple of years ago and one of the drips they had me try was to hit partial shots with my eyes closed. At first, I completely missed the ball. After some work, I got to making good contact. I worked my way up to hitting full shots.

The drill is great to free yourself from mechanical thoughts and to ingrain feel. When I got out of sinc on the course, I would take a few practice swings with my eyes closed. It helped to get my swing back.

It's a drill that I still do on the range.

I don't know why you need blackout glasses, however. Just close your eyes.

How are people supposed to know you are serious about getting better if they can't see you with some sort of gadget or do-hicky?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I closed my eyes and hit some balls at the range today with my 7 iron and after a few swings (I really had to feel my balance) it felt like I was hitting the ball pure on every shot. I'm nervous to try this with my driver though, because, with my luck, I'd end up with an idiot mark on top after my first swing. I really don't understand why you need to where anything to occlude your vision because closing my eyes worked perfectly.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I only close my eyes after they're already in the air. Usually followed by a LOUD expletive.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

In the early mornings. my eyes are completely watery from dry eye syndrome.....so when i address the ball on the tee, in the fairway or on the Green, it's like I am looking through an aquarium to see the ball....isn't that like hitting blindfolded?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

In the early mornings. my eyes are completely watery from dry eye syndrome.....so when i address the ball on the tee, in the fairway or on the Green, it's like I am looking through an aquarium to see the ball....isn't that like hitting blindfolded?

I get that same issue, but it's usually towards the end of the round and due to consuming many adult beverages :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I swung a few times with my eyes closed.....felt the same as when they are open...think I'll stick with the open eyes approach. ;-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Archived