Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do you find the perfect ball

I've been gaming the TM tp red ldp for years and i'm now almost out. While i tried other balls hère and there, i always went back to my love affaire with the tp red. Goldielock syndrome :"they feel just right"

Interested in your methodology in your quest to find the perfect ball.

Anyone who played the tp red ldp and has some recommandations?

Sent from my A0001 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Taylormade R1,65g Aldila RIP Phenom TP, Stiff
Fairway: Callaway FT 4 wood 16° Aldila  XVS6 "PGA Tour Only"
Hybrid: : Sonartec MD 19° Stiff Stepless steel
Irons: RSi 1 5i-AW, KBS Tour S (5.7)
Wedges: Callaway X-Tour forged 56° and Scratch 8620 60°
Putter: MannKrafted custom putter

Never played the LPD Red but when it comes to getting the right ball I have a simple process. Start with putting if it feels good off the putter hit some chip shots. If it performs on chips and feels good I hit some wedges and short irons. If I does what you want and feels good the next test is the driver. I hit it with the driver to make sure it doesn't spin to much and has the right launch and ball flight. If it passes all the test it goes in the bag.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Thanks for the insights. There is a guy selling lost golf balls from the hood of his car near my place. He gets most of his balls from the woods surrounding a higher end golf course so he often has the good stuff for cheap. Will attempt to get some sort of tester pack and put then through an extensive test. I like your idea of starting from the green and gradually getting farther.

Sent from my A0001 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I played the to red several balls ago. I would highly recommend the My Your Ball. Your trunk hit won't have it. Instead of putting I start with chipping and pitching. If the ball spins well enough there I go driver and approach shots to make sure the distance is in line. I hated the feel of the Nike One Your D with the putter and it was the ball that supplanted the TP red because it spun better around the green and flew farther for me. Good luck

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't know if they are perfect, but you can find a number of very good ones looking in the woods to the right of the fairway between 150 and 250 yards from the tee or in the water just short of the green.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It depends on what you are looking for in a ball. For me, I tried out countless balls and for me, feel and distance off the driver, great feel off the putter, and stopping power on the greens are key. I played the prov1x for a very, very longtime always trying to find something better. It wasn't til mygolfspy put out an article on the Snell MTB that I was intrigued. It just flat out beats everything I've ever played (with the mg c4 tour not to far behind). If I'm Dean Snell, I would seriously thank mgs for their success. He's got possibly the best ball out there but without mgs we wouldn't have known about it.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I have been reading on the Snell MTB for a while with a lot of interest, but being from Canada, shipping + duties + exchange rate made it too expensive.  But now that they have launch snellgolfcanada.com, I might pull the trigger.

I have them on my short list with the Bridgestone 330RX and RXS, the Chrome Soft another shot at the ProV1 (found three one hit wonders during my last round) and whatever mint condition premium balls I may find in those egg's crate on the hood of the salesman car. 

I'm almost as excited as a kid on the morning of an Easter egg hunt.

I've played in around 10 golf balls -- moving from Nike's, to Bridgestones, Titelist and now Wilson. The simple way I've done it is to grab a dozen of your typical ball and a dozen of a new ball. I played the V1x and Wilson Duo Urethanes this way for about 2-3 weeks. You'll learn about how they react, spin, and distance and which you prefer.

You'll learn what's important and not important in your game really quickly that way as well. For example, I thought spin around the green was what I wanted most, but I found out that the Wilson's may not spin quite as much as my Pro V1x's but damn they feel so good. I can't go back to the Titelists even though I'd probably get more spin on certain shots, because the other ball feels so good off every club.

I know it can get expensive, especially if you find a bunch that aren't that good or you prefer the original, but it can also lead you to find a cheaper and better ball for your game.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived