Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Summertime is here--New Grips

Yesterday was our first higher humidity day here at the beaches in Jax.  I've been loving my new Apex CF irons that I got a couple of months ago.  But discovered I'm not loving the Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips they came with.  Felt a bit slippery on several shots, had to wipe down every shot as the round went on.  Today, took them all to Edwin Watts to regrip with my favorite Golf Pride Tour Wraps.  Had them on my old irons, never regripped them in six years, and rarely had that slippery club feeling.  Pick them up Monday.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

The tour wraps slip less than the tour velvet? Must say I'm surprised by that. Never used the tour wraps though.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have been using the tour wraps for about 2 years now love them. It gets as humid here as in Florida and have never had a slippage issue. I do sweat a lot and wear tennis type wristbands and rotate out gloves usually every shot when it is humid. They seem to be the most durable grip I ever played with the maybe exception of the old GP Cords back in the day.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The tour wraps slip less than the tour velvet? Must say I'm surprised by that. Never used the tour wraps though.

A very dramatic difference.  I have the Tour Wraps on a couple of wedges, I went back and forth between clubs to test when I started noticing the slippage.  No slippage on the TourWraps.

I have been using the tour wraps for about 2 years now love them. It gets as humid here as in Florida and have never had a slippage issue. I do sweat a lot and wear tennis type wristbands and rotate out gloves usually every shot when it is humid. They seem to be the most durable grip I ever played with the maybe exception of the old GP Cords back in the day.

Have you tried Hirzl gloves?  They're the other high humidity antidote.  Kangaroo leather palms are very non-slip, even in the rain.  I used to have a four or five glove rotation in a summer round, with the Hirzl's it's one, maybe two a round.

Like Jaxbeach and Stu I've been a big fan of Tour Wrap for years. When I purchased my Wishons back in Aug. '14 my fitter recommended Tour Velvet and at the time I said, "sure I'll try them". He also slightly built-up the grip under my right/lower hand. After about 8 months using the TV grips I decided I didn't really like them all that much. Just didn't have the feel and "grippage" I like. So... I installed the GP CP2 Wrap grips and absolutely love them. They have the wrap style I like plus a slightly reduced taper in the lower hand. It's the best of both worlds for me. These grips also incorporate Golf Pride's control-core stabilizer technology which they claim reduces torque. Although I don't think I notice anything with or without that. Either way... a Tour Wrap style grip is what I prefer.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm a lamkin guy. I do the regrip in the winter when I'm busy at work.

Tis the season in the southeast. We actually are under a tropical storm watch.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like Jaxbeach and Stu I've been a big fan of Tour Wrap for years. When I purchased my Wishons back in Aug. '14 my fitter recommended Tour Velvet and at the time I said, "sure I'll try them". He also slightly built-up the grip under my right/lower hand. After about 8 months using the TV grips I decided I didn't really like them all that much. Just didn't have the feel and "grippage" I like. So... I installed the GP CP2 Wrap grips and absolutely love them. They have the wrap style I like plus a slightly reduced taper in the lower hand. It's the best of both worlds for me. These grips also incorporate Golf Pride's control-core stabilizer technology which they claim reduces torque. Although I don't think I notice anything with or without that. Either way... a Tour Wrap style grip is what I prefer.

I like the tour wraps in my woods and the cp 2 wraps are a big hit with me. I haven't had too much issue with them slipping either. Don't know why but I prefer Lamkin crosslines in my irons through wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Every shot? Dang. It was 111 here, so I was sweating a bunch, I use one golf per nine. I use lampkin crossline corded's just because they really give me a good grip event though they are rough on my hands sometimes.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Every shot? Dang. It was 111 here, so I was sweating a bunch, I use one golf per nine. I use lampkin crossline corded's just because they really give me a good grip event though they are rough on my hands sometimes.

You should try the Lamkin UTx grips. They aren't as rough on your hands as the crossline cords but still have a good cord feel.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

You should try the Lamkin UTx grips. They aren't as rough on your hands as the crossline cords but still have a good cord feel.

+1 to this, love the UTx.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Had a couple guys in college who were from the south and they told me about aerosol deodorant on your arms and hands so they don't perspire as much. Sometimes you'd have to reapply during the round but many guys who had shweaty hands said they noticed a big difference.

I am a forever cord guy. Multi compounds are nice but nothing like a full cord to me. Z Cord Midsize for maximum traction. I've tried everything from grip master leather to No1 and always go back to cords. I am too used to them o guess.

I could never handle Tour Velvet here in Florida. I've used New Decade since they came out. Nothing grips like cord.

However, two things: I was recently fitted, and rediscovered I need mid-sized grips, or +4 wraps. Huge difference in confidence. Second, I found this Dry Hands product,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPYGVD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which instead of feeling like a sloppy eater in a BBQ rib-eating contest, makes me feel like a teaching surgeon in a theater full of students. Dry hands=light touch. This also reduced my number of glove changes during a round.

I've been playing the Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 since release, and no complaints here. I use to use Decade, but I love the larger lower hand already built in the grip. 

Have you tried them? 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

First round today with the new grips today.  Post tropical storm pass through (last night), course super wet, very humid.  Never a slip or even a concern about one.  Only grabbed the towel once.  A world of difference.

I've been playing the Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 since release, and no complaints here. I use to use Decade, but I love the larger lower hand already built in the grip. 

Have you tried them?

Yes, they were ok, but not as tacky as cord/New Decade. I also need to keep my bottom hand from taking over, and a thicker bottom did the opposite for me.

Anyone try the NO1 pro50's?? I know MGS did a write-up on the grip a whole back with good reviews have been thinking about them but don't want to invest without some feedback, they are not cheap!

Hmmm interesting. My experience with wraps was not very durable, so I went back to the ugly rubbery Tour Velvets.

I recently regripped the woods for my wife with Lamkin REL Ace and damn... those things are tacky and soft. I'm even considering swapping all my grips for those!

But, summer heat is not an issue here and I try to avoid playing in rain whenever possible... so slippery grips are not the norm.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hmmm interesting. My experience with wraps was not very durable, so I went back to the ugly rubbery Tour Velvets.

Hmmm, back.  I had tour wraps on my old R9 irons.  Played them 6 years, at least twice a week, never regripped.  They still don't show any appreciable signs of wear.

• 8 months later...

It's not exactly summer but Spring is approaching fast. I've been piecing together my new gripping station the past few weeks and getting ready to re-grip all my clubs. First off I'll mention that I have purchased a new vice mounted grip station from Maltby, new improved compressor, hose attachments, new hook blades, etc., and just today a new set of grips.

I like the Golf Pride CP2 grips. Been using them for a couple of years now and really enjoy them. What do you guys like to use? Planning any new grips for the start of the season? Any other re-gripping stories or tips?

(BTW... don't tell all your buddies like I have about your grip station if you have one. Looks like I'll be quite busy soon.) :unsure:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Have you tried Hirzl gloves? They're the other high humidity antidote. Kangaroo leather palms are very non-slip, even in the rain. I used to have a four or five glove rotation in a summer round, with the Hirzl's it's one, maybe two a round.

I love my Hirzl gloves but can't find them anywhere now. Being left handed and XL probably doesn't help. Are they getting out of the golf market?

Any source for them would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

what grips do you play?

I'm getting ready to switch to a midsize tour wrap and see how I like them. Used the Lamkin REL 3GEN 360's and loved them, but they no longer make them.

Really trying to avoid a logo, and actually found a batch of black tour wraps with blacked out logos. They should be here next week.

I don't use a glove, and do play in rain/snow/humid summers - hopefully these things have some grip!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm getting ready to switch to a midsize tour wrap and see how I like them. Used the Lamkin REL 3GEN 360's and loved them, but they no longer make them.

Really trying to avoid a logo, and actually found a batch of black tour wraps with blacked out logos. They should be here next week.

I don't use a glove, and do play in rain/snow/humid summers - hopefully these things have some grip!

I've always like the Tour Wraps. they were my grip of choice for a lot of years.

I'm sticking with my Pure grips. I just installed the DTX midsize in my driver and 3 wood. If I like them, I'll change out the Pro's in the rest of my clubs to the DTX.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I love my Hirzl gloves but can't find them anywhere now. Being left handed and XL probably doesn't help. Are they getting out of the golf market?

Any source for them would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Have you tried contacting them directly through their website?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

just FYI if you plan on keeping your grips ... heard a tip from Tom Wishon about cleaning grips.... use 220 grit sandpaper and it brings back the "stickiness" of the grip.  Gave it a try and it worked pretty well!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Just curious - anyone planning on switching to the new Golfpride "align" grips this year?

Would love to hear your thoughts and reasoning...

https://www.golfpride.com/align/

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I have some classic clubs with original grips that are really dried out, but I can't find any close replacements (McGregor colors), is there any way to bring these back? Soak them in armor all? Sandpaper? Probably going to have to replace them, but if there's any way to keep them all original...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Check your local auto parts store. They should have a tire product called "Wesley's Bleach White" that is for white wall tires. Use it with a toothbrush to get the old grime out, and bring back the tackiness.

Archived