Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Parkland vs Links Course

I didn't play particularly well yesterday. I was on a more open "links" style course as opposed to a "Parkland" style course. Through the years I've played a lot of both styles. I define a links as as well.... a Links style course. That being wide-open with few trees and a more flat terrain. Many times you can see most of the course if you look around.  Think of something like Bandon Dunes. You may have something in your area sort of like this. A Parkland course is more of a tree lined course. Like the course at Muirfield Village where the Memorial is being played this weekend.

I play Parkland style courses much better than Links course. My home course is a parkland course. Additionally, my game travels to Parkland style course very well. I'm not sure what it is about a links course but I've decided they just don't suit my eye. My game and eyes require a more defined track. Think of it like driving your car. There are lines (think trees) on the road that you need to keep your car between. Without those boundaries we'd be all over the place to some extent. Would we not? Same with a links course as opposed to a tree lined Parkland course. Given a choice I'll take a Parkland layout any day. What about you?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You just described my feelings.

Same. Parkland for me. I just like them more aesthetically.

Besides, I hate links when it gets windy.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

This is a subject close to my heart.

I love playing links golf.  But--and this is a major caveat--they need to be true links courses or at least as close to it as possible.  The "links style" courses found in most places in the US leave me cold.   The reason, they don't play like real links courses.

By real links course, I mean just that.  Courses built on links land.  The turf is ultra tight.  The designs tend to take advantage of the natural lay of the land.  I love that you throw out the yardage books and play the conditions.  I love that the courses force creativity, choosing between a sand wedge, a putter or bump and run iron from 50 yards off the green; having the option from 150 out of flying a ball all the way to the pin or hitting a knock down shot to run on the green.  There is something satisfying about the thump the club makes on a well struck shot from true links turf.  Some of my favorite rounds have been on links courses:  Ballybunion, Waterville, Royal County Down, The Old Course, Royal Dornoch, Turnberry, etc.  I haven't yet played Bandon, but plan to in the next couple of years.  Friends tell me Bandon plays like true links.  I did have a wonderful time at Sandhills--the closest course I've found in the US to a true links course.  I also recommend the Prairie Club.  Who'd thunk that Nebraska would develop into a golf hot spot.   

I get a little bored on parkland courses.  When 150 out, most of the time the course requires a high iron to the green.  A nock down gets hung up short of the green.  While the holes may be strategic in where you hit the ball, they still limit the type of shot that can be hit.  Driver, high iron, two putt.  Rinse and repeat.   

I've played a number of "links stye" courses and found them quite disappointing.  They just don't have the turf to play like a real links course.  At least in the US, they are just parkland courses without trees.  It's not the same experience.   

I've played a number of "links stye" courses and found them quite disappointing.  They just don't have the turf to play like a real links course.  At least in the US, they are just parkland courses without trees.  It's not the same experience.   

I agree.

Go to Bandon. I enjoyed it a lot. It's hard and fast and fun. True Links.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I guess I favor the links style courses for the reasons stated by alfriday.  I tend to play them better.  We have several courses like that in my area, including mine but I would not say that it is truly a links-style.  It has some of the features, but there are some trees.  The turf does have a thump to it, and there are no forced carries onto the greens; you can "run it up."  Being in the desert, parkland courses are not common.  If you go back prior to the 1950's, except for in town the entire area where I live was nothing but sand and sagebrush.  

That said, my wife and I travel to many courses in the mountains of Washington, Idaho, and Oregon and there are plenty of trees.  I don't play as well there because I don't think of tree-lined fairways as "staying between the lines" in a car.  I start trying to "guide the shot" instead of just making my normal swing.  Gets me into trouble.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting topic. I played a few links courses and a few faux links courses. I think desert golf has a lot of links characteristics in it if you think about it. Winds by me can howl and without trees or the like to stop it, the winds move your ball all over the place. Plus go left or right and the ball will be either unplayable or unfindable. Plus most courses by me are part of the natural landscape.

In NJ there's a 36 hole complex called Charleston Springs. One 18 is "faux" links with thigh high grass lining the fairways. The other course is a parkland style course that has plenty of trees. The big key to me is the layout the parkland has several memorable holes, like par 4's that go 90 degrees, big elevation changes, and some interesting turns. The links is pretty boring by comparison. Even though the links probably has more going for it in uniqueness I prefer the parkland.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Playing most of my golf in Virginia and North Carolina, I obviously play mostly parkland type courses.  I enjoy the look of holes that are framed by trees, and I find that its easy for me to envision shots and select targets on these kinds of courses.  On the other hand, I've been lucky enough to visit Scotland and Ireland a couple of times, and I enjoy the true links courses there just as well.  Sometimes the route forward isn't as clear, and sometimes your targets aren't so easy to define, but I like the challenge of something different.  Like allfriday101 suggests, I think its fun to need to use different shots, to play the ball more on the ground, and I enjoy the challenge of a stiff breeze.  Of course, I may just be talking myself into liking links courses, I leave on Saturday for a 2-week visit to Ireland..

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Playing most of my golf in Virginia and North Carolina, I obviously play mostly parkland type courses.  I enjoy the look of holes that are framed by trees, and I find that its easy for me to envision shots and select targets on these kinds of courses.  On the other hand, I've been lucky enough to visit Scotland and Ireland a couple of times, and I enjoy the true links courses there just as well.  Sometimes the route forward isn't as clear, and sometimes your targets aren't so easy to define, but I like the challenge of something different.  Like allfriday101 suggests, I think its fun to need to use different shots, to play the ball more on the ground, and I enjoy the challenge of a stiff breeze.  Of course, I may just be talking myself into liking links courses, I leave on Saturday for a 2-week visit to Ireland..

You lucky dog!!  Enjoy your trip and post some pictures.

I like the option of the different shots into greens, and that is probably because at my age, high mid to long irons into elevated greens with three bunkers in front is not my best option.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, and around here, we have primary parkland courses. However, there are courses of all designs within a few hours drive, providing me the opportunity to sample several design styles without traveling all over the world. I prefer the wide open links/desert style courses. Whenever I play a course that is tree lined, I can start to steer tee shots, and that is never good.  On the more wide open courses, I swing more freely, and drive the ball much better. As far as 2nd shots and short game shots go, on links and desert courses, I think that there are more options to play shots that roll on the ground, instead of playing the same 2 hop and stop chip that we play in the valley all the time.  This opens my eyes and mind to new things, and keeps me engaged while I am out there.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, and around here, we have primary parkland courses. However, there are courses of all designs within a few hours drive, providing me the opportunity to sample several design styles without traveling all over the world. I prefer the wide open links/desert style courses. Whenever I play a course that is tree lined, I can start to steer tee shots, and that is never good.  On the more wide open courses, I swing more freely, and drive the ball much better. As far as 2nd shots and short game shots go, on links and desert courses, I think that there are more options to play shots that roll on the ground, instead of playing the same 2 hop and stop chip that we play in the valley all the time.  This opens my eyes and mind to new things, and keeps me engaged while I am out there.

We still need to get together for a round... either down there in one of the parkland courses or up here on mostly linksy style... or somewhere in between.  

The course I learned on was more of a links style course so I know how to get around one well enough. As far as preference I love golf in general so I'll play both with a smile on my face, but I do think parkland courses are prettier and offer a few more diverse challenges so I'll go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I love water hazards! The more the merrier! And you usually find more water hazards in parkland courses... unless you count the sea side on a links course!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I love water hazards! The more the merrier! And you usually find more water hazards in parkland courses... unless you count the sea side on a links course!

And you don't find as many balls in the sea as you do in lakes and ponds!  

Archived