Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

playing in wet conditions

Looking for advice from some of the better golfers here on playing in wet conditions...particularly the fairways

I have a really bad tendency of hitting fat irons shots from soggy fairways....any advice on how I should be approaching these shots differently?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Looking for advice on playing in wet conditions.

Don't! 

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I only play in wet conditions when I travel.  If it is raining here, I'll wait 10 minutes, well maybe 2 hours, then play.  Course is dry by then.

Seriously, it all has to do with ball striking and it depends on the turf in the fairway.  Most courses I play have firm fairways and even if they are wet, a slight fat shot will skip into the ball and not much yardage is lost.  However, when I travel I play in much different grass.  On the west side of Washington and Oregon where it rains quite a bit, the fairways tend to be a little soggy, even if it isn't raining at the time.  Then play becomes a little more like playing in Bermuda grass where a fat shot is death on yardage.  I struggle from Bermuda fairways unless they are in the desert SW.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Where I learned to play, if you didn't play in the rain, you didn't play...  When it is soggy out, I have found that the best way to hit it more solidly is to flatten out my swing and really clip the ball first.  The wet fairways are not forgiving at all on even slightly fat shots, so I really have to concentrate on hitting the ball first, and not the ground first. 

Some others may not agree with this, but I have been playing in some of the wettest conditions for 25+ years, and this is what works for me...

YMMV. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Where I learned to play, if you didn't play in the rain, you didn't play...  When it is soggy out, I have found that the best way to hit it more solidly is to flatten out my swing and really clip the ball first.  The wet fairways are not forgiving at all on even slightly fat shots, so I really have to concentrate on hitting the ball first, and not the ground first. 

Some others may not agree with this, but I have been playing in some of the wettest conditions for 25+ years, and this is what works for me...

YMMV. 

Nic knows!!!  I used to live there and that's why I moved to the desert.  And that was 25 years before I learned to play golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Choke up a bit on your clubs, as your feet are sinking a tad lower than normal conditions.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks for the advice guys

We played on very wet fairways today, and all four of us were hitting a lot of thin shots 'cause we mentally were trying to avoid those fat mud explosions.  It was really hard to get down low enough.  My best iron shots were all out of the rough.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Glad im not the only that struggles with it

Ball first, add a half club and as much as one club, as the ball will not travel as far, and then you dont get roll out either. Chilling down the grip can help as well, so the extra club plus Chopin down, also you can't really go after the ball, think shallow and smooth the ought ball, and try to catch it clean,

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Looks like I get to try out all of these suggestions this weekend, as I head to Seattle for the Ladies KPMG PGA Championship at Sahalee.  50% chance of rain...  I hate playing in the rain!! 

Archived