TESTERS WANTED! ×

US Open, it's gonna be hard

Mr_Theoo

^This... There's a point where it just gets kind of silly how fast the greens are and if they aren't crossing the line then they are at least awfully close.

Props to DJ. Happy he pulled it out. Definitely proves a high level of mental toughness no matter how much he downplays it's effect.

It also encourages the game of "we have the fastest greens around" at daily few and resort facilities.

That practice is a great contributor to poor pace of play.

Having fast greens at a club isn't as big a deal. Club members know their greens and they also know that their playing privledges may be curtailed if they don't keep up the pace of play. You can lose weekend mornings for a month at my course if you get caught taking more than 4 hours in a prime time round.

Maybe the USGA should do that for a bad time. Suspension from the next USGA event.

They aren't serious about Pace of Play or about protecting the daily few guy in the least.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Th

e greens were set to run at 14, that was no secret from the start, fortunately the only day it was possible was Sunday, what the rules officials did was wrong, plain and simple, the USGA should apologize to the golfing and sports world. They can't even explain how they came up with the reason for the penalty, they sound like a bunch of morons, this game is built on the integrity of the players, and should remain so, no replay should determine a penalty, ever.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If I had a USGA bag tag, I would take it off. All the players can't be wrong.

They set up an email: comments@usga.org I just roasted them again. #morons

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I just turned on the Golf Channel and they played an excerpt from the director of the USGA, and if I heard correctly he said they made a bogey on this one, in other words, the USGA screwed up. Really, ya think. These guys get paid a crap load of money, and can't even correctly interpret the rules that they wrote, but expect at the same time the regular guy, (us), to be able to interpret and properly assess the correct ruling, here's an idea, make the rules I bit more plain and simple, and easy to understand, and then there won't be so much guessing at what did or didn't happen.

I had so much fun on Twitter yesterday due to this situation.

I'd like to thank the USGA just for the memes alone.

Between them and the golden state warriors my timeline was lit with failure memes lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just turned on the Golf Channel and they played an excerpt from the director of the USGA, and if I heard correctly he said they made a bogey on this one, in other words, the USGA screwed up. Really, ya think. These guys get paid a crap load of money, and can't even correctly interpret the rules that they wrote, but expect at the same time the regular guy, (us), to be able to interpret and properly assess the correct ruling, here's an idea, make the rules I bit more plain and simple, and easy to understand, and then there won't be so much guessing at what did or didn't happen.

I love the reasonable chance clause. If there was a reasonable chance the player caused the ball to move.

I think there's more than a reasonable chance that the Greenskeeper caused the ball to move because the USGA made him push the greens to the very limits of sustainability. That's equally as plausible as DJ grounding his club next to the ball causing it to move.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

I have so many thoughts on this rules debacle - but chiefly, how embarrassing is it when the very body who creates the rules can't even correctly apply them. For my money, that means either (or in this case both) the rules are too complex (or too vague) or the organization is somehow inept. 

I get how entrenched the USGA is in the golfing world, but dang, there's gotta be something that can be done...

It just amazes me that now they are backtracking saying that they made a bogey on this one, no, I think you made a quad on this one, make the rules to read as simple as possible, if they read so complicated that you can't apply them, maybe you have them written incorrectly. He should have stuck by the first ruling and left it alone.

It just amazes me that now they are backtracking saying that they made a bogey on this one, no, I think you made a quad on this one, make the rules to read as simple as possible, if they read so complicated that you can't apply them, maybe you have them written incorrectly. He should have stuck by the first ruling and left it alone.

Others sports employ a replay why not here? Bring an IPad to the player and review it. Make the ruling, bsng, soon done. Two or three minutes in a 5 hour round is nothing.

Getting away from the ruling how about Oakmonts traps? They are what a sand trap should be IMO, legitimate hazzards as opposed to the free passes elite players are ofte afforded for errant shots.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Others sports employ a replay why not here? Bring an IPad to the player and review it. Make the ruling, bsng, soon done. Two or three minutes in a 5 hour round is nothing.

Getting away from the ruling how about Oakmonts traps? They are what a sand trap should be IMO, legitimate hazzards as opposed to the free passes elite players are ofte afforded for errant shots.

Yea the traps were awesome. Stupid hard golf course and not one water hazard. That's what happens when a course has a ton of money. Bunkers = $

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yea the traps were awesome. Stupid hard golf course and not one water hazard. That's what happens when a course has a ton of money. Bunkers = $

And it's why daily fee courses have few bunkers that are poorly designed and maintained.  I played a course in Phoenix a few years ago that was taking out bunkers because they cost $9K each per year to maintain (they had lots, so losing a few was no big deal).  

I get that traps should be penal, but on a daily fee course where most of the players are not proficient at getting out of them, or able to recover for a bogey or even a double, difficult bunkers do little except slow down play and frustrate most of the players.  Couple that with poorly maintained bunkers; i.e., little or no sand, lots of small rocks because the wind blows the sand out, unraked footprints, etc., and people just don't have much respect for them, which makes them even worse.  Private courses with decent players are a different story.  Rant over.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Reading between the lines of the USGA's statement.

"The USGA wishes to congratulate Dustin Johnson on his victory}" in spite of our efforts "and thank him, and the other players in the field," well at least those who didn't call us out on twitter "for their professionalism and grace throughout the championship. Dustin is a wonderful champion, a talented golfer and a gentleman." And it's not our fault he won anyway. Dammit.

"Upon reflection, we regret the distraction caused by our decision to wait until the end of the round to decide on the ruling." But we wanted to give others a better chance. "It is normal for rulings based on video evidence" or the lack there of "to await the end of a round, when the matter can be discussed with the player" like all good witch hunts "before the score card is returned." Especially when there is no real evidence that he did cause the ball to move. "While our focus on getting the ruling correct was appropriate," it was more important to prove we were the ones in charge, so "we created uncertainty about where players stood on the leader board after we informed Dustin on the 12th tee that his actions on the fifth green might lead to a penalty. This created unnecessary ambiguity for Dustin and the other players, as well as spectators on-site, and those watching and listening on television and digital channels." And we hope boosted the ratings.

"We accept that not everyone will agree that Dustin caused his ball to move." But it is more likely than not that we, the USGA don't give a crap about your opinion. "Issues under Rule 18-2 often require a judgment," and our judgement is all that counts," where there is some uncertainty, and this was one of those instances. We also understand that some people may disagree with Rule 18-2 itself." Too bad "While we respect the viewpoints of those who disagree, our Committee made a careful and collective judgment in its pursuit of a fair competition played under the Rules of Golf." And never forget that we make the rules and can interpret them how ever we want.

"Our officials reviewed the video of Dustin on the fifth green and determined that based on the weight of the evidence, it was more likely than not that Dustin caused his ball to move. Dustin's putter contacted the ground at the side of the ball, and almost immediately after, the ball moved." In spite of the fact that the ball did not roll either towards or away from the area that Dustin grounded his putter, we decided that he caused the ball to move towards his putter by mental telepathy. While we normally do not believe in supernatural phenomenon we have ruled that that is more likely than not what happened in this case. We believe DJ is a witch. How else could he hit all those fairways? He was causing the ball to move with only his will, and we caught him.

We at the USGA deeply appreciate the support of players, fans, and the entire golf community of our championships and our other work for golf- And please send $25 to the USGA.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Spot on There Rick!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

And remember. At the USGA we not only make the rules, but MORE LIKELY THAN NOT, enforce them how ever we want.

Please support the USGA and if you send in your membership fee within the next 7 days we will more likely than not send you a US Open Oakmont Country Club "The one that got away." Commemorative Hat.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Doesn't this just prove how inept the leadership of the USGA is, I don't care what decision was made either way, but what I cannot stand is the flippy floppy way they go about enforcing the rules. They need to fix the wording of these rules so that we and they can understand them, and eliminate the gray areas like this one. It either is or it isn't a penalty, it cannot be left up to interpretation of one.pr two people to decide, common sense should rule, and they have none

Archived