TESTERS WANTED! ×

Individual swing and driver CG locations

mjkladis

Ok guys,

I have a theory that I have been thinking about for a while. So there are several clubs I have tested out recently and every single driver I loved to hit and hit well had a forward CG location (Nike Vapor Fly, JPX-850, M1, SLDR, R15 and DBD 816). Most Ping options (except the LS Tec), the M2, and the JPX EZ drivers were all weird for me to hit. They were very uncomfortable for me and I usually just hit most of those towards the heel.

So am I wrong to think that some people's swings work better for different CG locations? Do you think my swing just works well with lower MOI drivers?

This might not be the exact place to post this thread but I value everyone's opinion on this site a lot. 

Ok guys,

I have a theory that I have been thinking about for a while. So there are several clubs I have tested out recently and every single driver I loved to hit and hit well had a forward CG location (Nike Vapor Fly, JPX-850, M1, SLDR, R15 and DBD 816). Most Ping options (except the LS Tec), the M2, and the JPX EZ drivers were all weird for me to hit. They were very uncomfortable for me and I usually just hit most of those towards the heel.

So am I wrong to think that some people's swings work better for different CG locations? Do you think my swing just works well with lower MOI drivers?

This might not be the exact place to post this thread but I value everyone's opinion on this site a lot.

I think you may be onto something. I would venture to guess that you also prefer "players" irons and blade putters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think you may be onto something. I would venture to guess that you also prefer "players" irons and blade putters.

Well I play AP1s right now. In all honesty I should have gone with a "players" irons (Srixon or Mizuno would be nice) and yes I love my blade putter.

-MK

I'm probably one of the few guys around here that is different regarding driver fitting. I really don't care much what all the data and technology claims are. I've used all the data before and it was a complete bust for me. Two times in fact! My first thought on driver selection is: Do I like the appearance and the way it sets up? Next I take it out doors to the range and in play on the course. I try all the settings along with different shafts. I use my eyes, ears, and hands mostly. Additionally, does the club sound and flight the way I like. Is my distance as good or better than before. All this granular data crunching and such has never put a winning driver in my bag. Data... schmeta.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm probably one of the few guys around here that is different regarding driver fitting. I really don't care much what all the data and technology claims are. I've used all the data before and it was a complete bust for me. Two times in fact! My first thought on driver selection is: Do I like the appearance and the way it sets up? Next I take it out doors to the range and in play on the course. I try all the settings along with different shafts. I use my eyes, ears, and hands mostly. Additionally, does the club sound and flight the way I like. Is my distance as good or better than before. All this granular data crunching and such has never put a winning driver in my bag. Data... schmeta.

I really like that approach! Bobby Jones, Sam Snead and Ben Hogan weren't sitting there on trackman trying to optimize their ball flights. They wanted the club to feel good in the hands and at contact.

-MK

I'd say yes to the CG locations being different. Everyone has a different swing so I'd imagine CG's changing could be an issue for some swings on each end of the extremes.

side note: Plaid brings up a good point: Data to me is important but it's probably better to get out to see how a new club actually feels and reacts on the course . Give me all the data sure, but at the end I think it comes down to how you do with it on the course and range. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Beyond a doubt or at least everyone will need different lofts and shaft characteristics depending upon the CG. Since many if not most of us don't have the time or money to hon on an extensive search through all those possibilities with every possible CG it's best to stick with the one that we've found works for our swing as a starting point.

I don't know if I'd go so far with Hogan, Jones et. al as to say they only did it by how it looked and felt. When you are playing at the top of the game you use every available technology and technique to find an edge. I'm sure that they did that. Modern players have different equipment available so that's what they use.

Plaid's method works for him. I've always worked best with experienced, older pros and I will listen to their input on equipment. In a couple of cases they fit me and they did it by sight. It worked fine. The one even brought out his LM and was pretty accurate in predicting my numbers by watching my swing and ball flight. :)

I think the best fittings incorporate both the new technology and the God given abilities of the Player's and the Fitter's senses. My worst fitting was indoors only using computer data. My best fitting used that data, went outside to be sure it worked in the real world and then came back in to check the data again.

As to the position of this thread I'm glad it's on the MGS forum. Thanks for starting it. Start some more!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As a follow-up to Rev's comments I too use - have used LM data along with a competent and experienced fitter. His eyes, LM data, equipment choices, etc. Using LM data and my fitters recommendations work as a starting point only. For me personally I can never rely solely on LM data. And certainly not when hitting strictly indoors. If asked i'd never recommend anyone purchasing a club based on indoor LM data. Test some clubs indoors if necessary and narrow down your choices. Than, take them outdoors and "see" what you think. If possible play the club using your game ball and not just cheap range balls if that's what your club offers. Real world vs. virtual world are not the same and never will be.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• SPY VIP

Beyond a doubt or at least everyone will need different lofts and shaft characteristics depending upon the CG. Since many if not most of us don't have the time or money to hon on an extensive search through all those possibilities with every possible CG it's best to stick with the one that we've found works for our swing as a starting point.

I don't know if I'd go so far with Hogan, Jones et. al as to say they only did it by how it looked and felt. When you are playing at the top of the game you use every available technology and technique to find an edge. I'm sure that they did that. Modern players have different equipment available so that's what they use.

Plaid's method works for him. I've always worked best with experienced, older pros and I will listen to their input on equipment. In a couple of cases they fit me and they did it by sight. It worked fine. The one even brought out his LM and was pretty accurate in predicting my numbers by watching my swing and ball flight. :)

I think the best fittings incorporate both the new technology and the God given abilities of the Player's and the Fitter's senses. My worst fitting was indoors only using computer data. My best fitting used that data, went outside to be sure it worked in the real world and then came back in to check the data again.

As to the position of this thread I'm glad it's on the MGS forum. Thanks for starting it. Start some more!

This is what totally blows my mind sometimes. We have one of Golf Digest's Top 100 fitters in the Denver area and all of their fittings are done inside, hitting into nets. They will allow you to come back and tweak it if the fitting isn't correct, but that doesn't help if you simply don't like how the club performs, feels, etc. once you get it on the course. So, you may end up with a driver you drop a ton of $$$$ on and b/c it "fits" you on a monitor, you are stuck with it - I refuse to buy any club  unless I can hit it outside, on a range and also hit it and get some monitor numbers. Given everything we have access to, I would think this would become more commonplace.

Had a driver fitting at 2nd Swing about a year and a half ago (there's a write up on here somewhere) and it was indoors. What I appreciated about it was the fitter said a good fitting actually takes 3 or 4 months. You have to play with it, see if it works and tweak as necessary.

I'm guessing an LM only fitting is better than no fitting by a long shot, but the outdoor element and more than 3 or 4 rounds on the course make the fitting complete.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Had a driver fitting at 2nd Swing about a year and a half ago (there's a write up on here somewhere) and it was indoors. What I appreciated about it was the fitter said a good fitting actually takes 3 or 4 months. You have to play with it, see if it works and tweak as necessary.

I'm guessing an LM only fitting is better than no fitting by a long shot, but the outdoor element and more than 3 or 4 rounds on the course make the fitting complete.

100 percent agree. There's two stages to a fitting: Here's some specs that look good data wise and then the on course play. How many people do you know are great on the range but suck on the course... same thing applies. Got to take it out, play it in the wind, off side hill lies (some tee boxes around me are notorious for being 1 foot ball above your feet) and see how it games. I'd call the the second stage... does it game or does it just fit?

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Hate to beat a dead horse especially after Plaid Jam and John nailed it right on the head so I'll just say ditto.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

There is a club around here that has outdoor hitting bays and (I believe) foresight LMs. Thing is- I think it's a private club and the prices are probably astronomical...

If I ever hit the Powerball I think I'll donate a nice LM to my local muni...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

There is a club around here that has outdoor hitting bays and (I believe) foresight LMs. Thing is- I think it's a private club and the prices are probably astronomical...

If I ever hit the Powerball I think I'll donate a nice LM to my local muni...

I guess I'm just selfish. If I hit the Powerball, I'd make my own driving range and buy a Trackman. Of course, all you guys would be invited to come hit .

-MK

Oh yeah - that would happen, too - and of course you're all invited, but maybe I'd give a little back, for the folks and kids who can't afford it...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived