Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Golfing under the influence

As a kid I still have fond memories of watching the members battle it out at my home course for the course championship. One of my most vivid memories was watching one of the best golfers at our course win it one year after drinking enough alcohol to kill most average human beings. He was so intoxicated my Dad had to drive his golf cart for him and he almost fell out of the golf cart a few times towards the end of his final round as he went to hit his shot. The crazy thing was that he still played amazing. In particular I watched him hit driver, 5 iron to have a 8 foot putt for eagle on the finishing par 5. He lipped the putt to birdie and shoot 68 (4 under).

This all brings me to today. In the last year I've practiced more than I have at any time in my life and I'm playing better than I ever have. The one issue I have though is that when I drink a few liquid refreshments the round falls apart. For instance, last weekend I was playing well at a tough course in Myrtle Beach and shot 3 over on the front. A friend of mine, that was playing poorly, very aggressively talked me into starting to drink some beer on the 7th hole (by aggressively I mean that he told me they had Guinness). By the tenth hole the wheels started to fall off and I shot an awful, horrible, embarrassing 12 over on the back nine. This has been a trend for me the last year. If I drink alcohol on the course I always fall apart on the back nine. The next day I shot 79 on another course where I played just okay on the front nine and caught fire on the back nine. Looking back at all my rounds the last year, every good round has been minus the beer.

My question to all of you is, how does beer affect your round? Do you not care because you're just playing to have a good time or has it destroyed some crucial rounds for you? Maybe a few beers makes you play even better? I've heard that one from some friends. What are your thoughts on golfing under the influence?

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I'm the same way, play in a group where most drink beers and not just one, if I have a couple then I can forget about having a good round, for me it's just better to wait till the 19th hole to have a few, to each his own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

No to PUI, playing under the influence. Wait until the 19th hole for me.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Gatorade, Powerade & Water on the course........then beer in the Pub afterwards.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Gatorade, Powerade & Water on the course........then beer in the Pub afterwards.

What about the Wild Turkey Honey Stinger that you gave me from your flask during our round at the Bayou Club?   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will usually save the alcohol for late in the back nine, if it is available; maybe a little earlier if I am playing poorly.  What can it hurt?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It depends on how i am playing the round. Am I going to shoot a score? If I am no chance for beer. Am I going ot shoot the **** with my friends? If I am lets have a drink. I have also been known to change a few holes in. Triple Triple Double. Eff it lets drink.

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I'm not a big drinker anytime. But, nothing beats a good ole cold one at times. I don't drink alcohol when I play. Just doesn't work for me. Sometimes if I'm playing well and know I'm going to win some bets and score a good round I'll crack one open after my tee shot on 18. If it's available. Otherwise, I'll have one after my round.

I do generally encourage my fellow competitors to drink up. :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Not for me, I prefer having some BioSteel and a beer after the round. I have heard of one thing that actually calms everything down and the concentration level goes up. But this individual as a medical prescription for it, so a little different story.

What I don't like are guys that go to the course to drink beer and golf is just the excuse to go.  I don't know if they play better when not drinking, but they certainly don't play well when drinking.  Pace of play and the quality of golf for everyone else suffers.  Bars stop serving people when they think they have had too much.  Golf courses should remove people when they have had too much to drink.  State Law!

amen Kenny.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I played my first sober round of the year Tuesday.  Shot the same type of scores I usually shoot while drinking.  

Yes there is a point where drinking will make me play worse, but it's pretty far along and if I get there I usually don't care that it's happening :)

I'll usually make myself a cocktail in the garage for on the way to the course and then just keep drinking the rest of the day.  I live on the course and drive my golf cart so no roads between me and there.

So back to the original question...I don't think I play worse when drinking.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If the round isn't going as well as I want I will have a drink or 2 not more than that, I iist want it to help relax a bit. It usually works, and then I pay better than I was, can't say that if I drink all day it will help me play better.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

....thinks hcky might need some counseling. Can you come over for a drink? :ph34r:

....thinks hcky might need some counseling. Can you come over for a drink? :ph34r:

At least I'm a happy. drunk ️

• SPY VIP

If you enjoy a beer when playing then I say enjoy a beer. I can't think of a time when I've drank my way into a poor round from a good one. Now drinking my way from a poor round to a poor round is a whole 'nother story... :D

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

If I'm playing in a scramble, or out with friends who don't play much I'll drink some beer.  For me: there is a sweet spot where I have drank enough to loosen things up, but one more sip and the game is done.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I have had this I can definitely drink and golf but there is a happy zone where if I cross it I go from being loose and relaxed to completely uncoordinated and a hot mess on the golf course. I guess the real difference is my intent I go on a annual guys golf trip, I could care less what o shoot on this trip as long as I win some skins, as for a normal round where I'm playing to score no more then 2 a side for me.

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

What I don't like are guys that go to the course to drink beer and golf is just the excuse to go.  I don't know if they play better when not drinking, but they certainly don't play well when drinking.  Pace of play and the quality of golf for everyone else suffers.  Bars stop serving people when they think they have had too much.  Golf courses should remove people when they have had too much to drink.  State Law!

Try playing college courses Friday before home games. The entire course is filled with frat brothers getting slammed off their gourds hitting 2 balls off every tee. 

I don't mind playing with people that drink. The guy I play with probably knocks down 4-6 beers when we play. I don't personally like to drink and play, but that's more because of the weather rather than me not enjoying alcohol.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Playing golf is only time I'll drink other than when out for dinner.

Beer really doesn't bother me to much. Being a southerner, the southern heat and humidity sucks it out of me before it can do any damage to my game lol.

Now golf in the winter is another story. Captain Morgan in the bag and it does get to me by the back 9, but since it's winter and cold. I forgive it

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Been playing with a few guys lately (younger guys than I; good players. Hcp

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Been playing with a few guys lately (younger guys than I; good players. Hcp

Fireball on a 30° day will help the round. Buddies mix it in coffee. Myself, I mix with a coke.

Not to shabby.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

When I played tournaments, I'd carry of flask of whisky. Helped settled the nerves. But only 2-3 shots. Anything more and I lost my focus.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1467419635.233270.jpgImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1467419674.320851.jpg

Speaking of, cart took a sharp right while I continued to go straight. Watched it gracefully roll down a 15' hill into a swamp/pond area. Maintenance pulled it out for me the next morning with a tractor.

Archived