Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Golfing under the influence

I don't like drinking anything other than water or sports drinks. I'll have a few after but I'm much more concerned with staying hydrated more than anything.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I'm a pretty serious golfer and when I start drinking, my round never improves.  If anything, depending on how much I drink, my round gets worse.  I prefer to wait and enjoy a nice cold one after the round ( or cold ones).

Funny thing, I got into craft beers big time about 8 years ago. Last few years, it's gotten so that I really don't like mass market beers anymore. And, that's what they serve on the carts. And, they usually have a couple of really good craft beers on tap in the clubhouse. Hence, hardly ever have a beer on the course anymore and really, really savor those first couple sips of Head Hi IPA at the end of the round.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I was beginning to think I was the only one who's round would fall apart after a couple of cold ones on the course. I like many others have friends who enjoy drinking on the course and I usually hear grief for sipping on water for 18 holes. If there is any hope of a decent round I generally stick with the non-alcoholic bevs on the course anymore.

Just depends for me. I played in our City Championship this past weekend, shot an 85 on day 1 and was in 2nd place going into day 2. After 9 holes I was down 10 strokes (Still in 2nd), so I got beer and shot a 38 with a double on the 7th hole. Still finished 2nd, but played much better. As long as I don't drink too many, I think it helps my game.

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

I'm not usually a big drinker on the course most of the time I don't drink any beer, but if having a bad round I'll pound two and get back on track. If I'm having a good round it goes to hell after the first sip. But this year in league I started having a couple during the 9 holes and as long as I start early I don't notice a change. The real question is how do you play with a hangover? A few years ago at my first big two day tournament shot horrible went to the 19th then out to the bar after. Next day horrible hangover shot 13 strokes better. Not the funnest round I ever played but it was interesting.  

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Golf or Golf Digest did a study on this and found that male golfers will play their best when they've had 2 beers or drinks.  A bigger guy might keep that edge at 3.  After that the performance went down hill quickly.  When I play in league I will wait to have a beer until the turn (after the league nine.)  I'm still playing for some money on the back but I will generally have a couple of beers and a cigar on the back nine.  More than that and I head south pretty quickly.

That happened to me in a casual round last Friday.  We had a serious rain delay after our tee balls off of ten.  Sadly the only place to seek cover was at the half way house.  We were far more than half way in the bag when we resumed play.  I hit a great iron to follow up my drive but from that point forward things went sour as they did for my playing partners one of whom was under par on the front..

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've got 30-40 rounds in so far this year, I've played exactly one without having any drinks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

A few weeks back a buddy I was playing with pulled out his flask of scotch. The flask was in his bag and was warm. At first I declined then; I said let me have it. I took a pull off it and man... it was good! I'm pretty sure scotch isn't supposed to be had warm but I liked it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

A few weeks back a buddy I was playing with pulled out his flask of scotch. The flask was in his bag and was warm. At first I declined then; I said let me have it. I took a pull off it and man... it was good! I'm pretty sure scotch isn't supposed to be had warm but I liked it.

It has always seemed to me that beer, whiskey, and SOME cordials like brandy, schnapps, etc. taste good on the golf course, as long as it's not to excess.  Cold beer in the summer, and whiskey etc when it's cold.  Leave it to PJ to get it backwards!   :P

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nothing beats a little Jack Daniels Tennessee honey in the coffee during the cold rounds of golf

Last February Foz introduced me to Wild Turkey Honey Sting.  Great on a cool day, and I liked the bite of the Ghost Pepper.  Nobody had it out here in the west that I could find, so I ordered it.  I think I may have started something because the store now stocks it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is it bad when you walk in the club house and there is a vodka lemonade waiting for you?

And yes, this is before I start, at the turn and after the round.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I drink all whisk(e)y neat, with no water or ice. Just my preference. Drink it any way you enjoy it!

Played in the member member tourney a few weeks ago, and the team we played with on Sunday, one of them is a drinker, big time, he was hammered by hole 4, he shot 71, I'm talking he was cant walk straight slur your words, barely stand up drunk, and shot 71, and didn't miss a putt from 15 feet and in all day. It was ridiculous to watch.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

if I am having a rough day and not playing too good, sometimes I will drink a couple beers to relax me. It usually helps but, only 2 or 3 at most.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Does not really bother my game all that much and if I drink during a round but I play early so generally don't have anything on the course.  Lately I have been playing real early and meeting the family at the beach club where there are always cold beers waiting for me in the cabana.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Played in the member member tourney a few weeks ago, and the team we played with on Sunday, one of them is a drinker, big time, he was hammered by hole 4, he shot 71, I'm talking he was cant walk straight slur your words, barely stand up drunk, and shot 71, and didn't miss a putt from 15 feet and in all day. It was ridiculous to watch.

Honestly that makes me mad because I've only shot 71 a handful of times...sober. But good for him

I don't ever drink when I play. Even during scrambles. I don't enjoy playing under the influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So, on a day with a heat index of 106 and playing with two guys that shot 120, plus a guy that shot 97, I couldn't take it anymore and had to drink a couple of cold beverages at the turn. It actually calmed my nerves on a day that start poorly and resulted in a much better back nine.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Archived