Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

how to hit a knockdown

I feel like there are a lot of different ways of hitting the knockdown shot (a low shot under the wind).

I have heard so many different ways to do it and this is backed up by a simple google search that returns a lot of different methods being taught.

1) swing smooth with the ball back in your stance for low flight and low spin

2) swing normal with normal ball position but finish low.

3) hit dow on the ball back in your stance for low flight and high spin.

What works for you?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I choke down a little, 3/4 back swing and a low follow through

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

same ball position? How often do you find yourself hitting knock downs?

In Iowa the wind is always at least 20 mph. I need to add this kind of shot to my bag.

Same as Hcky here. Love playing that shot.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for the advise, I gotta try this shot, maybe my shots will go further now.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Our prevailing wind comes either out of the north or out of the south. Most of our holes also run north/south so half the course is usually into the wind. We are also a links course so when it's windy, it's really windy. I hit that shot a lot!

I choke down a little, 3/4 back swing and a low follow through

I do it almost the same way except I do hood the face a little and play it back in my stance a little

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Blade a 56° wedge

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If I have to I will add a couple clubs and play it well back in be stance an just hit a low running hook, or a low push, normally if I'm in the wind I will add a club or 2 and swing normal and let the wind knock it down for me, our course has lots of trees, so playing a low shot with more club never gets hit by the wind so you go long, so I will just throw the longer club right up into the wind and let it ride the wind down softly,

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I try to sweep it from the ground. Hit too far down on it you're gonna balloon it. I get my weight forward, ball back, and try to sweep it

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Like Hcky... I play the knock-down frequently. When I started to get serious about the game back in the early 80's I got to play a lot with some guys/friends that were pretty good players. They were anywhere from 0 to 5 hcp. type guys. I was a hack basically. Out here in Texas where I play mostly the wind (breeze) is almost always present. Those guys taught me the KD shot as one of the first "shots" I ever learned. It's been a life saver every since. It's also a most impressive shot when executed correctly.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

What do you guys consider a 3/4 back swing. For me it is my left arm parallel to the ground (righty).

I feel like there are a lot of different ways of hitting the knockdown shot (a low shot under the wind).

I have heard so many different ways to do it and this is backed up by a simple google search that returns a lot of different methods being taught.

1) swing smooth with the ball back in your stance for low flight and low spin

2) swing normal with normal ball position but finish low.

3) hit dow on the ball back in your stance for low flight and high spin.

What works for you?

I just make my normal shot off the tee with a low followthrough.  

Oh, wait a minute... maybe you mean from the fairway.  

Ball back slightly, not much.

One or two more clubs

Slightly easier swing

Low followthrough.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What do you guys consider a 3/4 back swing. For me it is my left arm parallel to the ground (righty).

Similar for me I think.  I've never really had video of my swing while trying to do it.  It's mostly just a feel thing for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually tweeted Michael Breed & the Golf Fix during the Masters this year about this same shot - How to play a knockdown/low recovery type shot.

Managed to get it onto the show and he did a 4 min segment on it.

Basic points are:

Take a club more than what you think you'll need (ie, if you think a 5 iron will do, take a 4),

Ball back in stance,

Ball closer to you,

Choke down on club,

Desired swing length depending on distance you need to go (ball will run further),

Hit down onto the ball,

Keep chest down over ball during and after shot,

Low follow through.  If you follow through too high, ie to around or above shoulder height, the ball with fly higher - the opposite of what we want.

Hope this helps.  At my handicap I find myself playing a few of these each round.....

I have the segment on my phone, but it might also be on their website/app somewhere if you need a visual.

I don't necessarily look at a Knock-down as a recovery shot. It can be but...

Where I play we have many breezy days where 10-15 mph is quite normal. Spring time presents stronger winds. I use the knock-down year round on approach shots and it's a life saver. Many years ago when I was starting to play more and wanted to play better a good friend who's still a 0-2 handicapper showed me this shot. It's a foundation shot every player needs to learn. To me there's nothing more satisfying when facing a strong wind in the face on approach; to drive the ball in low and boring and watching it stop close to the pin. Other guys that don't know this shot watch their ball balloon short or finish weak and off the green. If you don't know how to play this shot; spend some time on the practice tee. You'll be glad you did. Your opponents won't.

Totally agreed, Plaid. It's a 'must have' shot. 

Can save a lot of strokes if your drive ends up in the woods - can keep her low and towards the green rather than continually chipping sideways (or worse - putting your 2nd shot into the tree you were trying to avoid!!).

I have a couple of short par 3's where I play and you can bet on having a head wind and need to take an extra club or two off the tee - knockdown is a no brainer, but alas, 8 out of 10 either have to smash a long iron which they can't control, or they go for the old balloon and could nearly catch it if they ran after it :lol:

My 4 iron is also temperamental, and I find choking the club and putting the ball back in the stance leads to a more solid strike also.

Totally agreed, Plaid. It's a 'must have' shot. 

Can save a lot of strokes if your drive ends up in the woods - can keep her low and towards the green rather than continually chipping sideways (or worse - putting your 2nd straight into the tree you were trying to avoid!!).

I have a couple of short par 3's where I play and you can bet on having a head wind and need to take an extra club or two off the tee - knockdown is a no brainer, but alas, 8 out of 10 either have to smash a long iron which they can't control, or they go for the old balloon and could nearly catch it if they ran after it :lol:

My 4 iron is also temperamental, and I find choking the club and putting the ball back in the stance leads to a more solid strike also.

I used to play with a very good player, but all he could hit was a high draw.  When the wind blew, he was dead.  I have gotten so used to hitting this shot, that I find it difficult to NOT hit it when I don't want it.

Sometimes I just want to choke my 5i.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

I choke down on the club a little and try to keep the hands a little bit lower and hold the finish with the hands forward for just that fraction longer.

I find this works best for me.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

Ball back in the stance 3 ball widths further than normal.  Normal swing and focus on pinching the ball.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 months later...

Hands way forward, hit down on the ball (think about trapping it) and you must finish low! I swing a little harder than normal too. I can't do the swing easy thing; I just end up sculling it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

This is a great thread, interesting to hear the different ways everyone approaches the low, piercing shot.

Based off what I've taught myself I use three different setups. If I want to hit it 'low and straight,' I put the ball in the middle of my stance, hood the face a bit, and finish low with an easy swing.

If I want a low running draw I put it about two balls in front of my right instep (swinging RH), set the club and swing up the same, and close my stance, aiming where I want it to start with the clubface.

I just do the opposite with my stance, with an open clubface, for a low, soft, fade.

Sounds like too much, but I've hit those shots from under a tree so much it's almost second nature.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

If you have never hit this shot before, don't try it for the first time out on the course when you are shooting for score.  Bad things can happen if you haven't spent some time practicing this shot.  It is a feel shot, and you need to get the feel of what happens with the chosen clubs.  Great shot though.

• 1 month later...

I got about it a little differently

I keep the ball position in the same place as always. I noticed that if I put the ball too far back in my stance, I'll hit the ball low but it'll spin too much.

So on the downswing at around the 9 o'clock position, I start turning my knuckles down toward the ground and I keep this angle the same into the ball, so the logo of my glove faces the target at impact.

I feel this method helps to trap the ball and avoid the ball ballooning into the wind or in cross winds.

Archived