Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Olympic letdown

StrokerAce

I guess I have a different take on this although Mmmmnmmbuddy's post has given me a brief pause.

Either the Olympics are a way to represent your country and instill national pride (a symbolic thing) or they have no meaning what so ever in major sports where athletes are able to make tons of money outside of them.  They are a way to give back.  It's the way to give back and represent a country and give back (which is how it's touted) it's a shameful decision to withdraw. 

I can't speak for other countries but the US has men and women deployed all over the world sacrificing up to their very lives to defend our freedom and way of life.  They are away from their families for months at a time in all sorts of ungodly conditions. 

I would think that high paid athletes could make a sacrifice for a week or so if only out of deference to them. 

Oh and I don't buy the excitement about 2020, it was there for this Olympics until the reality of actually having to go and sacrifice set it.

I've posted a couple of times already. However, I wouldn't go there for the Olympics or for any other reason. Here are my main concerns/reasons. #1 is security, #2 is security, and #3 is diseases. My fears may be overblown. So be it. Rio just reads like a disaster in the making if not already.

I respect Rev's opinion. If I were in the military I know what I'm getting into. I may be called on to go in to Syria for instance. As a tourist that's the last place I'm going. I'm not trained in security, have no private body guards nor can I carry my gun. I greatly respect those that choose to serve in the military and thank the ones that are doing it. But, I have a choice if I want to for instance go play a game for my country. In light of all the news coming out of Rio I'd use my common sense and not go. Why would I place myself or family in such a bad situation if I had a choice? I wouldn't. Same goes for many places around the world. I'm just not going. Period. I respect the decision those that have chosen to withdraw. 

I hope all goes well for everyone participating in the games and those that choose to go watch it. But I just don't have a good feeling about it. Gut instinct.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Well, Jordan Spieth just withdrew so the top players in the world are not going.  Sort of makes the Olympics an also-ran event for golf.  Kucher is in.  I guess no one will know in 20 years that whoever wins gold, won without beating the best in the world.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe we should just have a USA Olympics where each state fields teams of their choice for the various competitions. I think Texas could scrape together a decent golf team. ;)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here are my main concerns/reasons. #1 is security, #2 is security, and #3 is diseases. My fears may be overblown. So be it. Rio just reads like a disaster in the making if not already.

Yea, It's like going to North Korea on purpose, just to see what might happen to you. No thanks!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I know twitter is only 140 characters but sometimes if you don't see the full quote it can be taken out of context (like ESPN loves to do)

Honestly, I don't think it was as difficult a decision for me as it was for him,” McIlroy said Tuesday at Royal Troon. “I don't feel like I've let the game down at all. I didn't get into golf to try and grow the game. I got into golf to win championships and all of a sudden you get to this point and there is a responsibility on you to grow the game, and I get that. But at the same time that's not the reason that I got into golf. I got into golf to win. I didn't get into golf to get other people into the game.

The last sentence really cuts to the chase and I think is more appropriate.  These guys are out there to win and nothing else.  Leave it to the R&A, PGA, USGA, etc. to get other people interested in playing; that's their role.

Link: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mcilroy-got-golf-win-not-grow-game

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I know twitter is only 140 characters but sometimes if you don't see the full quote it can be taken out of context (like ESPN loves to do)

Honestly, I don't think it was as difficult a decision for me as it was for him,” McIlroy said Tuesday at Royal Troon. “I don't feel like I've let the game down at all. I didn't get into golf to try and grow the game. I got into golf to win championships and all of a sudden you get to this point and there is a responsibility on you to grow the game, and I get that. But at the same time that's not the reason that I got into golf. I got into golf to win. I didn't get into golf to get other people into the game.

The last sentence really cuts to the chase and I think is more appropriate. These guys are out there to win and nothing else. Leave it to the R&A, PGA, USGA, etc. to get other people interested in playing; that's their role.

Link: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mcilroy-got-golf-win-not-grow-game

I agree with Rory's comments. I feel like the PGA did nothing to make the olympics matter to the players. So why should they try to squeeze it into their schedules?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

And another on bites the dust! Speith has sited Zika concerns and will not be participating in the Rio Olympics, who's next?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Spieth did not cite Zika concerns, in fact he went out of his way to not cite Zika.  His reason was "health concerns".  Now that could be a lot of things including Zika.  If I were Jordan I would be concerned about security more than Zika, but when the pros have the FedEX Cup playoffs starting 10 days after the Olympics, why would they risk their health when so much money is at stake.  If a golfer did get the Zika, they might not be in top shape for the playoffs.

I agree with Theoo.  The positioning of the Olympics in the middle of the peak pro golfing season is ludicrous if you want the best players to attend.  The problems in Rio is a convenient excuse.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Newest edition to the golfers withdrawing from the Olympics-though not another USA golfer is Francisco Molinari, Matteo Manassero to take his spot, he sited family reasons for not participating.

Newest edition to the golfers withdrawing from the Olympics-though not another USA golfer is Francisco Molinari, Matteo Manassero to take his spot, he sited family reasons for not participating.

Happy for Manassero considering his backstory.  I hope this fuels his comeback.  

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

And another on bites the dust! Speith has sited Zika concerns and will not be participating in the Rio Olympics, who's next?

Jordan cited health concerns, he made it very clear in his news conference this morning that he did not cite Zika as the reason.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't think any of these guys that are backing out owe anyone any reason as to why, if they don't want to go that's all they need to say, they don't owe their country, or anyone anything, each person who is going or not going needs to make that decision for themselves, no one else.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The more I read on this the more I come back to where I was when it was announced that golf is back in the olympics....why? The US players already play for the US every year between the Ryder Cup and the President's Cup so adding another event is meaningless. Now add in the fact that it is in a country that is corrupt and unsafe I have no issue with anyone that does not want to go. I deal with some large banks and their branches in South America and the stories are flat out scary. Heck I have even refused to go to meetings in Rio and I am worth nothing compared to Jordan and Rory let alone recognizable compared to them. The guys that are going better have one hell of a security team and get out as soon as possible.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

The more I read on this the more I come back to where I was when it was announced that golf is back in the olympics....why? The US players already play for the US every year between the Ryder Cup and the President's Cup so adding another event is meaningless. Now add in the fact that it is in a country that is corrupt and unsafe I have no issue with anyone that does not want to go. I deal with some large banks and their branches in South America and the stories are flat out scary. Heck I have even refused to go to meetings in Rio and I am worth nothing compared to Jordan and Rory let alone recognizable compared to them. The guys that are going better have one hell of a security team and get out as soon as possible.

I agree with you 100%!

Lil fyi on schedule

Go USA!

Tazz

1468419352057.jpg

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Archived