Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putting from off the green

kmaygolf

I was playing with a pro the other day, and he showed me a shot that I hadn't tried before. My approach shot was right at a back pin but went long. There is a mound off the back so I had a downhill lie in rough about 3 feet to the fringe, then about 8 feet to the hole, all downhill and the green is pretty quick. Normally, I would try a regular chip shot landing the ball in the rough, letting it trickle through the fringe and roll to the hole. IF I hit a good chip, I would be happy with about a 10-15 footer coming back up the slope. The pro putted the ball with the toe of my 58* SCOR, standing almost straight on top of the ball. The ball rolled nicely across the rough, onto the green and into the hole!! I told him that was a lucky shot and he couldn't do it again. I was right... he hit another ball and it ended up about a foot from the hole. I've been practicing that shot, and it really works.

He basically chipped it off the toe with a putting type motion? Or did he use the bounce/sole off of the toe? I like to "blade" a wedge when needing to get through a tight spot or short distance of rough. I've also toed a putter on downhill putts to deaden it as well.

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

@strokerAce:  @Eseay32  It was not so much a chip as it was a putt using the toe of the wedge; minimal contact of the wedge sole with the grass.  Stand tall very close to the ball, eyes directly over the ball, and use a putting grip and stroke.  The ball comes off the club with a little top spin and rolls on top of the grass.  Obviously, you have to have a feel for the speed to make this work.  Clearly, it's a situational shot, and you have to know how the ball will react through the rough.  I've been practicing because my course has these damn mounds!

It is similar to putting downhill with the toe of the putter to deaden the strike.  That is not something I do; I tried it a long time ago because I was "scared" of those fast putts and I read about it somewhere, but I had trouble getting the line correct.  With this "toe chip" I am more concerned with getting the speed correct because I am not expecting to make it; if it's a little offline it should be an easy putt.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@strokerAce: @Eseay32 It was not so much a chip as it was a putt using the toe of the wedge; minimal contact of the wedge sole with the grass. Stand tall very close to the ball, eyes directly over the ball, and use a putting grip and stroke. The ball comes off the club with a little top spin and rolls on top of the grass. Obviously, you have to have a feel for the speed to make this work. Clearly, it's a situational shot, and you have to know how the ball will react through the rough. I've been practicing because my course has these damn mounds!

It is similar to putting downhill with the toe of the putter to deaden the strike. That is not something I do; I tried it a long time ago because I was "scared" of those fast putts and I read about it somewhere, but I had trouble getting the line correct. With this "toe chip" I am more concerned with getting the speed correct because I am not expecting to make it; if it's a little offline it should be an easy putt.

I've never done it off the toe but I'll do that off the center of the sole

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I'll give that toe chip a shot. Sounds up my alley.

I usually look to putt first. We have closely mowed areas in the front of most greens. Fringe is always a putt as well.

If I'm in the rough but say 6-10" off the fringe I'll hit the bladed "Texas wedge" with a putting stroke or chip depending on how much green I have to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'll give that toe chip a shot. Sounds up my alley.

I usually look to putt first. We have closely mowed areas in the front of most greens. Fringe is always a putt as well.

If I'm in the rough but say 6-10" off the fringe I'll hit the bladed "Texas wedge" with a putting stroke or chip depending on how much green I have to work with.

If I were on flat ground the same distance from the green, I would putt from short grass and chip normally every time from the rough.  This shot does come in handy though from some of the lies I get.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I always chip. Im an awful putter. I laugh at the "Your worst putt is better than your worst chip". My respons eis always "youve never seen me putt"

well in theory it is lol

I was playing with a pro the other day, and he showed me a shot that I hadn't tried before. My approach shot was right at a back pin but went long. There is a mound off the back so I had a downhill lie in rough about 3 feet to the fringe, then about 8 feet to the hole, all downhill and the green is pretty quick. Normally, I would try a regular chip shot landing the ball in the rough, letting it trickle through the fringe and roll to the hole. IF I hit a good chip, I would be happy with about a 10-15 footer coming back up the slope. The pro putted the ball with the toe of my 58* SCOR, standing almost straight on top of the ball. The ball rolled nicely across the rough, onto the green and into the hole!! I told him that was a lucky shot and he couldn't do it again. I was right... he hit another ball and it ended up about a foot from the hole. I've been practicing that shot, and it really works.

Dave Stockton (Rory' s short game instructors in case you don't know who he is) teaches this method in his book called " unconscious scoring" good book with some great short game tips that work including the one mentioned above.

I always chip. Im an awful putter. I laugh at the "Your worst putt is better than your worst chip". My respons eis always "youve never seen me putt"

I'm in the same boat

I did find last week that there is a time and place for chipping from the fringe or putting, I will never putt from long rough unless there is no other option, anyway, back to the fringe, playing on Bermuda you can get yourself into some precarious positions, I was just off the green had about 30 feet to the hole, downhill, down grain, no way to stop the ball, I chose chip, trying to get some spin to check up before running away, I hit with no spin, and left myself 15 feet back up the hill, kiss for bogey, the play should have been putt, I could have gotten much closer with a putter, so I made the wrong decision, so make sure you assess each situation, and make the right call

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Dave Stockton (Rory' s short game instructors in case you don't know who he is) teaches this method in his book called " unconscious scoring" good book with some great short game tips that work including the one mentioned above.

I'll ask the pro tomorrow if he got that from Stockton's book.  

I played with a guy in Japan a couple times that would putt from bunkers 95% of the time, around the green anyway. Only time he wouldn't is when the lip was so big that the ball would have absolutely no chance of getting out.  The weird thing he was pretty good at it. 

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I played with a guy in Japan a couple times that would putt from bunkers 95% of the time, around the green anyway. Only time he wouldn't is when the lip was so big that the ball would have absolutely no chance of getting out.  The weird thing he was pretty good at it. 

It's not a bad play if you are not confident with wedge sand play AND there is no lip on the bunker.  I can't do it here on my home course, but there is a course a few miles away where it's possible.  My wife had a good putt from one last time we played there.

Also, remember this year's NCAA Men's Championship on the 18th hole at the Eugene CC when Beau Hossler putted from the greenside bunker because he tore his shoulder up and couldn't take a full swing...  he got up and down to save par and not have to forfeit the match.

It's not a bad play if you are not confident with wedge sand play AND there is no lip on the bunker. I can't do it here on my home course, but there is a course a few miles away where it's possible. My wife had a good putt from one last time we played there.

Also, remember this year's NCAA Men's Championship on the 18th hole at the Eugene CC when Beau Hossler putted from the greenside bunker because he tore his shoulder up and couldn't take a full swing... he got up and down to save par and not have to forfeit the match.

Was going to mention this about Hossler. Kid is the real deal. Announced today that he is going to forego his senior season at Texas and turn professional

Only when very close to the fringe. Some of the fairways around here and heck even the rough is cut low so its never really out of the question for me. Most of the lead in to greens here is fringe level so I adjust to that and swing away. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Archived