Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Need Some Swing Advice!

paulmdepoy

Ok I know it's really hard to analyze a swing without seeing it, but I need some help...big time.

I play a draw. Since midsummer of last year, 75% of the time I swing a wedge the ball goes almost straight right. Not a fade, a big time shank. I've been told I was hitting it off the hosel so I moved a bit farther away from the ball and swung with cut swing. Has worked a little bit, but I don't like playing a cut all the time and I pull the ball a lot when I do that.

Does anyone know what to do? Or what it may be?

Thanks in advance!!

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

You are right.  It's difficult to suggest a fix without seeing the swing.  There are several reasons why it occurs, and you have to find the correct fault to fix it.  I go through this from time to time.  I'll play well for awhile, then it strikes.  There was a thread about this a few months ago, so search the forum to see what was discussed for things to try.  If you have a good teaching pro nearby, schedule a few lessons to work out the issue.  If you don't have anyone that you think could help, take a video of your swing from face-on and down-the-line and look at it in slow motion.  If you fix the swing flaw, the shank goes away.  All I know for sure is that standing further from the ball doesn't work; I know, I've tried it!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I'm shanking it's normally a setup issue. If I have too much weight on my heels at address my coach taught that the body will try to stay in balance and if the weight is on the heels at address then the body will try to get the weight back up to the balls of the feet and lean the whole body forward during the swing. That will cause the club to move forward as well putting the hosel of the club more towards the ball just like if you were standing too close. Assuming your setup is sound, my advice is simply make sure you have your weight on the balls of your feet. That will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CkmKGQDb0&feature=share

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/15791-Ugh!-Shank,-I-need-redemption

I've been having the s#@&ks as well and got some great advise from my fellow spies. Maybe they can help you out too.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I will try and see what happens. I will keep you posted. My Wedge game used to be the best part of my game, and now it's the worst. 

I forgot to add that every time I shanked with my wedges, my divots were still right on line with where I was aiming.

It doesn't take much; you are about an 1/8" away from a good shot.  Just a swing thought... focus on swinging the club grip, not the head.  Keep the grip leading the head down the line.  Hope you get it figured out.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It sounds like you may be swaying forward during the downswing which can move the club position, my club pro gave the advice to sit down on your heels and swing the club, really feel like you are sitting back, it's will keep you from leaning or swaying toward the target.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have these sneak in every 4 months or so. The pro I saw gave me two things to try and diagnose.

1. Place Water bottle, sleeve of balls, or whatever next to ball. Hit some shots. Problem solved? Then swinging too much in to out:

2. Address ball, lift your toes of the ground and Hit some shots. Problem solved? Then getting weight too forward. For me it's my right knee going out towards the ball that makes me lose balance.

Easiest thing is a pro but some things to think about.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Take a lesson! Thanks are normally something very simple but there are way too many something's that yours might be. Whenever I get them hitting shots with my feet together always works.

Just go take a lesson and let us know how it works out.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have these sneak in every 4 months or so. The pro I saw gave me two things to try and diagnose.

1. Place Water bottle, sleeve of balls, or whatever next to ball. Hit some shots. Problem solved? Then swinging too much in to out:

2. Address ball, lift your toes of the ground and Hit some shots. Problem solved? Then getting weight too forward. For me it's my right knee going out towards the ball that makes me lose balance.

Easiest thing is a pro but some things to think about.

Was watching golf the other day and saw Vijay on the range with a Gatorade bottle just outside of his ball as he was hitting shots. So I went to the field by my house yesterday and was hitting 56* and 52* shots like that. Was hitting really well with the bottle there. Haven't hit full without the bottle yet. I have league tomorrow, so it'll be a good indication on whether is worked or not!

Was watching golf the other day and saw Vijay on the range with a Gatorade bottle just outside of his ball as he was hitting shots. So I went to the field by my house yesterday and was hitting 56* and 52* shots like that. Was hitting really well with the bottle there. Haven't hit full without the bottle yet. I have league tomorrow, so it'll be a good indication on whether is worked or not!

Wouldn't be a bad idea to warm up that way for a bit to get a feel for what you need to do and then hit some without

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Oh boy last night was rough. The good thing about it was that I didn't have any of my right shanks with wedges. The bad part was that I hit very few good golf shots the entire time.

It's only a 9-hole league at the muni, but I shot a 48. The worst I had shot in league all year was a 43. Only had 2 full wedge shots since my draw off the tee was no where to be found. The 60* from 75 yards was bladed about 110 yds over the green OB on the 3rd hole and the 52* on the 6th hole par 3 went in the bunker about 15 yds short of the green.

It was just one of those nights where I was aiming for a draw and fading the ball a little bit and never making solid iron connection. My putting and greenside chipping was pretty solid though, so I got that to hang my head on!!

Try sliding your front foot back a few inches. Don't intentionally open up your body, just slide the front foot back a little. Sometimes a block or S$%^& can happen because your hips don't clear. I tend to be a... ahem... wider hipped individual and with shorter clubs I need a little more room to fire the turn.

Be warned that you risk pulling wedges this way if you don't stay in the shot, but a 10 yard pull is miles better than a S!@#$

Give it a try until you get your confidence back.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Played really well last night, my only problem being my driver getting loose after about 13 holes. We played 27 holes and I shot 42-39-41. That 41 included a 9 on a par 4!! Hooked tee shot into the crap on the left. Took my distance and then hit 20 yards short of the green on a sever upslope before a bunker. Didn't take enough club and popped it up straight into the face of the bunker. Could barely even see my ball it was so buried. Could have been a really good round haha. 

But my wedges were good. Found a brand new pro-v1 and was spinning the crap out of the ball. I have our city championship coming up next weekend, so I'm hoping the swing stays the same. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Paul,

Hosel rockets! Try scooting the ball placement forward even with your shirt logo or left nipple if you dont already....next very slightly close the club face a twinge....now focus on taking your club away in one solid triangle...focus on striking ball first while keeping triangle in tact....FYI youll need to start aiming 5-10 yards right after about 20 practices.....good luck.....

Archived