Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DJ

revkev

I'm surprised that people aren't making more out of this but have any of you noticed that Johnson has started to play a fade off the tee? I thought it was a key to his US Open win. Oh and he averaged 344 off the tee this past weekend hitting that fade.

On a somewhat related note I compared the driving distances between the WGC at Doral and this past weekend at Firestone. Same top three distance guys at each tournament, Holmes, Johnson, Bubba. There was a 30 yard difference between their average driving distance from Florida to Ohio.

And our course conditions in March allow for the greatest possible distance. I'd love to see those averages in Florida in August. We would certainly know their carry distances then.

Okay off my hobby horse vent and back to DJ I think going to fade off the tee could turn his career into a Phil Mickleson like one with multiple major wins.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great observation revkev.  He hits the ball incredibly far.  I remember when they tried to "Tiger-proof" courses by extending holes, adding trees, bunkers, etc.

Are they now going to start "DJ-proofing"?  

At what point in time does the PGA realize that they need to consider changes to the ball???

Anyway - love DJ and the way he plays the game.  Wish I could fade the ball 344 yards!!

He must be doing something right.  Recently saw this on Twitter:

Dustin Johnson's recent starts:
• 1st 1f3c6.png
• 1st 1f3c6.png
• 5th
• 3rd
• T12
• T28
• T4
• 3rd
• T5
• T14
• 4th

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• SPY VIP

When you create 185 MPH of ball speed, there's no reason to play a draw unless you just can't help yourself. But honestly, what's more impressive to me is how his game inside 150 yds has improved - You want to make more putts? Hit it closer - And good gracious, if he puts it all together, this could get quite interesting...

When you create 185 MPH of ball speed, there's no reason to play a draw unless you just can't help yourself. But honestly, what's more impressive to me is how his game inside 150 yds has improved - You want to make more putts? Hit it closer - And good gracious, if he puts it all together, this could get quite interesting...

No doubt but it is far easier to hit the green from 125 in the middle of the fairway than 125 behind a tree. :)

He's in control of his entire game right now.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I can hit it 344 yards.  Driver, 8 iron.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• SPY VIP

No doubt but it is far easier to hit the green from 125 in the middle of the fairway than 125 behind a tree. :)

He's in control of his entire game right now.

And honestly, I think all of the attention on Day, Speith, McI, etc. are good for him - 

I can hit it 344 yards. Driver, 8 iron.

Exactly this if you're wanting me to hit fades.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

PPL DJ is making a legit push for the #1 ranking. I know he still has a long way to go but what he's doing right now is impressive. Yes he and Butch have been working on the fade and think that's a more stable ball flight for him which makes sense, since he cups his wrist at the top and holds it off for so long with that shut club face.  

His stats are stupid impressive right now. He's #1 on tour from 50-125 yards, hits it a mile, averaged 340+ last tourney and on the weekend make 29/30 putts inside 10 feet. The guy is killin it!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Considering how wide and dried out there fairways are coupled with his speed I am not surprised at all he's leading that category, his strong work 150 yards and in are whats elevated him even higher. Real fun to watch his cool demeanor

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Considering how wide and dried out there fairways are coupled with his speed I am not surprised at all he's leading that category, his strong work 150 yards and in are whats elevated him even higher. Real fun to watch his cool demeanor

... not to mention his putting.  If he was putting like this last year he'd have 2 majors instead of 1.

I think he has the longest streak for winning at least 1 tournament per year.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Not a big DJ fan, but he is playing well right now, he had pretty good control last week at a tight course, and managed to not falter coming in, he took the US Open, but he didn't take this last one, he was handed it by Day, not that he didn't play well, but Day struggled coming home, which was very uncharacteristic of him to do. It should be interesting the next few weeks, Day is having trouble off the tee. Speith is having trouble off the tee, DJ used to have trouble off the tee. If any or all of these guys keep the ball in the fairway from the tee, they will win or at least contend. If you take away the 16th hole both Day and Jordan were right there. It will be fun to watch as these 4-5 guys play. Right now the edge is to DJ because he is finding the fairway, and he is actually making putts. It's fun watching all of these guys.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm gonna state the obvious and say I think it's all his mental game. Now that he's won that major he's in a can't miss mentality just like Jordan was last year after the masters and I think that it's gonna last for a while too. I'm partial to Spieth but I think Johnson is gonna be really hard to beat for a while.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I hate to gloat but the recent blog post seems to validate my observation here. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think the key is getting off the Tee. They say drive for show...... But if you are approaching the green from the fairway you'll have a better chance at scoring. DJ has been able to stay in the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

People have been talking about the Big Three... Day, Spieth, McIlroy; see Feherty tonight.  However, I don't think you can have that conversation without DJ.  It will be interesting to see how they all play at The Open Championship.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

People have been talking about the Big Three... Day, Spieth, McIlroy; see Feherty tonight.  However, I don't think you can have that conversation without DJ.  It will be interesting to see how they all play at The Open Championship.

It's really a big 4 and no that doesn't have anything to do with Fowler. I think he just isn't on the level of these guys yet. He may be one day but the media has always liked to play him up too much. 

DJ on the other hand is the real deal. Hopefully this breaks open his chance at a major run. 

It may not be big anything honestly or it may.

How about we wait and let it unfold.  I'm content to say there are a lot of very good young to youngish players in the world.  It's exciting to watch.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It may not be big anything honestly or it may.

How about we wait and let it unfold.  I'm content to say there are a lot of very good young to youngish players in the world.  It's exciting to watch.

Nobody's talking about a Tiger type run or anything but I could see him having a Phil like 30s. Maybe slightly less productive but in that ballpark. 4 or so majors.

Honestly I really like the lineup of players out there right now. Its nice not having a clue who is gonna win but having a solid group at the top who can dominate from time to time and get on runs. 

Archived