TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG Signs Charl Schwartzel - Will play some PXG Clubs in Open Championship

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

charl1.jpg

It's rare that a player changes primary equipment sponsors mid-season. It's rarer still when a player puts a new sponsors clubs in play for the first time at a Major Championship, but that's exactly what's happening this week.

PXG has just announced that it has signed Masters winner Charl Schwartzel to its tour staff. Schwartzel, who splits his time between the PGA and European Tours, and previously played Nike clubs, has won three times this season.

Astute observers of the golf equipment world may have suspected something was up when, earlier this week, Nike released its Open Championship apparel scripts, and Schwartzel's wardrobe was nowhere to be found. That sort of thing is generally a dead giveaway that something is up.

charl2.jpg

Charl has one three times this season and is currently ranked #21 in the Official World Golf Rankings. Zach Johnson, who has dropped to #18 in the world this season, remains the highest ranked player on the PXG roster.

According to PXG, while Schwartzel has only had a few days to familiarize himself with his new clubs, he will have several in play this week at Royal Troon.

As any player signing-on with a new brand generally is, Schwartzel appears excited about the switch:

“From clubs to club maker, I feel like PXG is behind me. They have taken an interest in all aspects of my game and are committed to helping me play the best golf of my life. I had the opportunity to speak with Bob Parsons and his enthusiasm for the game of golf and golf equipment is infectious.” - Charl Schwartzel

charl3.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Now for the real question, do I leave him on my fantasy roster for The Open with an equipment switch this late in the game?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

May the Schwartz(el) be with PXG

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm sure he has a few holes played on them, but changing right before The Open where you need more than a pretty club to win. To big a risk imo. Guess we'll see.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

The Open is such a different game from that played on regular PGA courses.  The differences between irons may not be so critical here.  I'm sure he has had a lot of time with them so now it's a matter of confidence, and that can only be achieved in competition.  I actually think he will do fine.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I thought I'd read somewhere that PXG didn't "sign" any players. But that the players came to them wanting to use their equipment. Did I dream this?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I thought I'd read somewhere that PXG didn't "sign" any players. But that the players came to them wanting to use their equipment. Did I dream this?

You may be thinking of brands like miura. They don't have a tour staff.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Politifact would probably rate this as mostly true.

Yes, players come to PXG, but that's hardly unique. In actuality, players' agents come to PXG (and everyone else) to kick the tires on the equipment and the possibility of a sponsorship arrangement. Depending on the player, and the length of the current contract, this can happen more than a year ahead of the current contract's expiration date. This gives the player plenty of time to get familiar with the new stuff, get dialed in, and hopefully be ready to go by the time everything becomes official and public.

So it's true that PXG pays its players like everyone else (save guys like Miura) it's also true that the players/player agent generally reach out to start a conversation.

Just a few minutes ago PGA Tour's Jonathan Wall tweeted that PXG has talked with 5 of the Top 10 players in the world - presumably about potential deals.

Your current Top 10:

1. Day

2. Johnson

3. Spieth

4. McIlroy

5. Watson

6. Stenson

7. Fowler 

8. Scott

9. Willett

10. Grace

Obviously nothing is certain, and talking with and signing a deal with might as well be polar opposites, but we can do a bit a reasonable speculation.

Day and Johnson are absolutes. Both have contracts up this year. I know with certainty one of the two has spoken with PXG, the other is well-rumored.

You can all but cross off Fowler, McIlroy, and Watson. All either have well-publicized long term deals or recently upped with current sponsor. So it's take your pick from the other 5.

And again, talking isn't the same as signing. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Yes, players come to PXG, but that's hardly unique. In actuality, players' agents come to PXG (and everyone else) to kick the tires on the equipment and the possibility of a sponsorship arrangement. Depending on the player, and the length of the current contract, this can happen more than a year ahead of the current contract's expiration date. This gives the player plenty of time to get familiar with the new stuff, get dialed in, and hopefully be ready to go by the time everything becomes official and public.

So it's true that PXG pays its players like everyone else (save guys like Miura) it's also true that the players/player agent generally reach out to start a conversation.

Just a few minutes ago PGA Tour's Jonathan Wall tweeted that PXG has talked with 5 of the Top 10 players in the world - presumably about potential deals.

Your current Top 10:

1. Day

2. Johnson

3. Spieth

4. McIlroy

5. Watson

6. Stenson

7. Fowler 

8. Scott

9. Willett

10. Grace

Obviously nothing is certain, and talking with and signing a deal with might as well be polar opposites, but we can do a bit a reasonable speculation.

Day and Johnson are absolutes. Both have contracts up this year. I know with certainty one of the two has spoken with PXG, the other is well-rumored.

You can all but cross off Fowler, McIlroy, and Watson. All either have well-publicized long term deals or recently upped with current sponsor. So it's take your pick from the other 5.

Indeed. Talking doesn't mean signing and I wouldn't expect PXG to try to create a huge stable of tour players. Seems like it's more important for them to get the type of players they want to have and will represent the brand a certain way. 

With Schwartzel specifically, I don't believe he would switch unless it absolutely made sense for him to do so and it's not like he's switching all 14 clubs in his bag - When a club is better, it's better. And in this case, I think that was pretty clear. 

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw PXG irons in Brittany Lang's bag at the U.S. Women's Open.  However, she did not have any PXG logo that I noticed.  Can anyone confirm this??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw PXG irons in Brittany Lang's bag at the U.S. Women's Open.  However, she did not have any PXG logo that I noticed.  Can anyone confirm this??

Yep, clubs in the bag - but she isn't a staffer for PXG. This also happened on PGA Tour Latin America I believe...Winner of an event had PXG in his bag - purchased them himself...

Yep, clubs in the bag - but she isn't a staffer for PXG. This also happened on PGA Tour Latin America I believe...Winner of an event had PXG in his bag - purchased them himself...

PXG is looking to pick up some winners; maybe they will offer a deal so they can say they have a major win.

• SPY VIP

PXG is looking to pick up some winners; maybe they will offer a deal so they can say they have a major win.

We'll see. I don't get the sense Mr. Parsons is reactionary or a short-term thinker. Only way he'd sign her is if the thought it would be good for the brand moving forward. 

The amount they are paying him must be significant to get them in his bag this week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

• SPY VIP

The amount they are paying him must be significant to get them in his bag this week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG certainly doesn't over pay for their players - so on balance, this isn't likely true. 

Your current Top 10:

1. Day

2. Johnson

3. Spieth

4. McIlroy

5. Watson

6. Stenson

7. Fowler

8. Scott

9. Willett

10. Grace

That's very intriguing. The idea of a Day or Johnson playing PXG would be a huge boost for them (and for me, because I just have an irrational hate for Taylormade).

PXG signing more players and having a larger stable also gives me hope I can either catch some on eBay at some point, or that they'll eventually produce a set the average buyer can afford.

Either way, I'm interested any time a new company 'hits the big time.' I hate the incestuous nature of the golf equipment industry and would like more exposure to companies besides the biggest ones.

attachicon.gifcharl1.jpg

It's rare that a player changes primary equipment sponsors mid-season. It's rarer still when a player puts a new sponsors clubs in play for the first time at a Major Championship, but that's exactly what's happening this week.

PXG has just announced that it has signed Masters winner Charl Schwartzel to its tour staff. Schwartzel, who splits his time between the PGA and European Tours, and previously played Nike clubs, has won three times this season.

Astute observers of the golf equipment world may have suspected something was up when, earlier this week, Nike released its Open Championship apparel scripts, and Schwartzel's wardrobe was nowhere to be found. That sort of thing is generally a dead giveaway that something is up.

attachicon.gifcharl2.jpg

Charl has one three times this season and is currently ranked #21 in the Official World Golf Rankings. Zach Johnson, who has dropped to #18 in the world this season, remains the highest ranked player on the PXG roster.

According to PXG, while Schwartzel has only had a few days to familiarize himself with his new clubs, he will have several in play this week at Royal Troon.

As any player signing-on with a new brand generally is, Schwartzel appears excited about the switch:

“From clubs to club maker, I feel like PXG is behind me. They have taken an interest in all aspects of my game and are committed to helping me play the best golf of my life. I had the opportunity to speak with Bob Parsons and his enthusiasm for the game of golf and golf equipment is infectious.” - Charl Schwartzel

attachicon.gifcharl3.jpg

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Archived