TESTERS WANTED! ×

Official Forum Member Review - BEN HOGAN GOLF PTx IRON REVIEW

JBones

I probably missed this but were you not offered shafts of your choices and had to get the KBS Tous V? The irons look great but in this market proper shafts are such an imperative step (I learned with the JPX EZ).

No we only had the choice of flex

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is unfortunate. The PTX look fantastic - it is a shame you guys weren't allowed even a few options to choose from. For a company that makes it all about the gaps and firing not to offer you guys the proper shafts was a mistake on Hogans part. Mizuno offered us the opportunity to get fit (well I wasn't because they couldn't find a fitter apparently) but we were allowed to order anything in their catalog. Shame on Hogan for not at least offering the free shaft options that they offer.

It's a shame because for as good looking as those irons are they should have been optimized.

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

So guys another update from me on these irons. I spoke very highly of them. I decided though I wasnt happy with the KBS tour V shafts. I decided to pull them and put in X100's. I gained almost 2 clubs in length over the stock shaft. 

They feel even better now as well.  Go try them but dont get suckered into buying the Tour V 110 if they dont fit. They are really good with the correct shaft. 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

So guys another update from me on these irons. I spoke very highly of them. I decided though I wasnt happy with the KBS tour V shafts. I decided to pull them and put in X100's. I gained almost 2 clubs in length over the stock shaft. 

They feel even better now as well.  Go try them but dont get suckered into buying the Tour V 110 if they dont fit. They are really good with the correct shaft. 

Seriously? Damn I've gotta get those KBS's out of there!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Same here! I'm gonna have to schedule a fitting and see what I can figure out

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Good luck with the shaft changes. The Irons look too good not to work for you guys

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

My driver swing has gone to hell the last few weeks and I was playing the SLDR. As you know that Driver doesnt help at all on bad swings so I traded the SLDR for the X100's put them in and the weight of the clubs feel better and I am just plain longer.

I never realized how head heavy I thought these were until I decided to switch the shafts out. I think it has to do with the counterbalance aspect of the KBS.

My driver swing was so bad this weekend end I decided to not even pull driver. I ended up smoking the 22* all day and was dead center of the fairway about 230 yrds from the tee. The guy I was playing with (Stranger) couldnt stop commenting how well I was hitting the 22*.

Huntingforbirdies.com

• 1 month later...

Won an auction for a set of C-Tapers last week.  Same S+ 125g that I play in my Speedblades.  I'm going to reshaft the Hogans and see if I can get any better results with them.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Won an auction for a set of C-Tapers last week. Same S+ 125g that I play in my Speedblades. I'm going to reshaft the Hogans and see if I can get any better results with them.

I'm gonna have to reshaft mine with something. Hope to get a fitting sometime this winter

• 5 weeks later...

Given the recent news of the BH closure and all of the shaft issues discussed above, I wonder if you could just buy the heads from them now. Are they trying to liquidate inventory?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Not according to the email some of us got today........

EmailHeader_Logo.png?width=600&name=Emai

Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announces reorganization and restructuring - maintains commitment to building highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world 

Fort Worth, Texas: The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announced today that it is going through a period of re-tooling and right-sizing in an effort to become more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment business.

The Company has voluntarily implemented a reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the operation. This included the reduction of a large percentage of the exempt and non-exempt workforce, some of whom will be rehired as contract employees. The company has not declared bankruptcy nor been foreclosed upon, and remains in the business of producing and selling the highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world.

"Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated", said Scott White, President and CEO of the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. "While our organization does not look the same today as it did in 2016, we are confident that the changes we are making will make us a stronger and better company in the future".

About Ben Hogan Golf
The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company is based in Fort Worth, TX and manufactures premium golf clubs and golf bags. The company was started in 1953 by Ben Hogan himself, and is continuing Mr. Hogan's reputation of innovation, performance, and classical designs. For players who are serious about their games, and the game of golf, there is only one choice: Ben Hogan Golf Equipment

Twitter: @BenHoganGolf
Instagram: Ben Hogan Golf
Facebook: Ben Hogan Golf
More information: http://www.benhogangolf.com

© 2017 Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. PreciseLoft System, V-SOLE, FT. WORTH irons, and PTx irons are trademarks of The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm still playing my PTx set and recommend them to anybody but looks like now is the time to jump on them if you don't want to wait for this chaos to subside.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 4 weeks later...

What did people think of turf interaction with the V Sole?

Did anyone see additional spin into greens on approach shots?

my first thought when I got them was "I hope they don't bounce on tight lies" but after using them I'm pleased to say the v-sole works really well from any lie. Doesn't bounce off tight lies or dig in soft stuff if I had to describe it I'd say it glides through turf. If there was an increase in spin I didn't see much but spin isn't something I have much of an issue with so maybe one of the other testers can give more insight on that.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I tend to spin the ball a lot and didn't notice any difference with added spin due to the v sole. The turf interaction is really nice though. Especially on days when it's soft. I'm a big fan of the V sole now.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 3 months later...

Well, guess what showed up at the house while I was out golfing today? Two boxes delivered by FedEx

My very own set of Ben Hogan Ptx irons was in ne of f them while the second box housed the Ben Hogan Wedges(3).

My wife sent me a text asking "Now what have you bought?"

Image1493775830.711401.jpg

When I got home, I opened the boxes....

Man were they beautiful!

I got a deal on these as the Ptx irons were only $578 and the Wedges were $83 each. The msrp for the irons with graphite shafts was about $1500 and the Wedges are $170 each. Boy was this a good deal! They are now in my bag......

Thanks Ben Hogan!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Well, guess what showed up at the house while I was out golfing today? Two boxes delivered by FedEx

My very own set of Ben Hogan Ptx irons was in ne of f them while the second box housed the Ben Hogan Wedges(3).

My wife sent me a text asking "Now what have you bought?"

attachicon.gifImage1493775830.711401.jpg

When I got home, I opened the boxes....attachicon.gifImage1493775866.655693.jpg

Man were they beautiful!

I got a deal on these as the Ptx irons were only $578 and the Wedges were $83 each. The msrp for the irons with graphite shafts was about $1500 and the Wedges are $170 each. Boy was this a good deal! They are now in my bag......

attachicon.gifImage1493776102.092707.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1493776130.408021.jpg

Thanks Ben Hogan!

Awesome score Foz - you're gonna love em

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow, nice sticks!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Can I go on the record and say I don't like Foz.

I've been looking at a set of these used from Rockbottom, wish I could have got onto the reduced prices from BH, but unfortunately not available for Aus buyers.

Hope you enjoy them Foz, and that they really work for you.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Wowser good looking irons!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

... really wanted some SCOR's, now I really want some Hogan wedges. Wish I could've gotten in on that deal, but funds just weren't there. Damn.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Welcome to the club!

Thanks number 1.....

... really wanted some SCOR's, now I really want some Hogan wedges. Wish I could've gotten in on that deal, but funds just weren't there. Damn.

I also have the SCOR 41/45/49/53/57 irons in my closet......interested?

Well, Foz- I usually play a 52/56/60 setup, but I dunno... Could this work?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Three rounds in with the Hogan Ptx irons and even though I have to figure out how to remember to use the correct club as I am about 1/2 club short on longer approaches, I really like the feel.

Three rounds in with the Hogan Ptx irons and even though I have to figure out how to remember to use the correct club as I am about 1/2 club short on longer approaches, I really like the feel.

It does take a few rounds. Once I identified the 33 at my 7-iron, it became pretty easy. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It does take a few rounds. Once I identified the 33 at my 7-iron, it became pretty easy. 

Same here, I really like it now, it changes how I think about club selection. I now have Hogans in 4* increments from 24* through 52* and Vokeys for 56* & 60*. Instead of thinking "9i", I associate each 4* difference with a specific yardage gap. I'm getting much better distance control tee to green.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Same here, I really like it now, it changes how I think about club selection. I now have Hogans in 4* increments from 24* through 52* and Vokeys for 56* & 60*. Instead of thinking "9i", I associate each 4* difference with a specific yardage gap. I'm getting much better distance control tee to green.

Whats funny is now that I have had the Hogans for a year i really pay attention to lofts in other clubs. I use it to really compare clubs accurately 

Huntingforbirdies.com

Archived