Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Fitting vs Putter Fitting

Duby27

I am looking at getting one of these done within the next week or so.  I have started using Game Golf for my stats and only have about 14 rounds (mostly 9 holes from league play) and here is what I have.

Fairway Accuracy - 35%

Putts Per Hole - 2.1

I'm around 241 - 260ish off the tee, depending on strike.  Most of the time, I am in trouble off the tee and therefore need to make it up with putting.  My putting is not very good, but has come a long way since last season.

Thanks in advance. 

2.1 putts is a tricky stat without knowing proximity to the hole - if you are starting out at 30 feet on average it would be very good for a 16 - if its 10 its not so great. 

Do you know how many penalty strokes you are taking because of driver (penalty strokes might also include times that you have to pitch out side ways or not have a clean look at the green.)  Strokes gained driving is a deceptively important stat and a fitting may help bring the fairways hit (not always a significant stat but when you're only hitting 35 percent I think it's telling you something) up which in turn will reduce the real wild ones, the penalties and the like.  That may be the quickest way to save strokes and it may even help reduce the number of putts - more approaches from closer to the green at a better angle will leave you closer to the hole.

Having written that putting fittings are extremely under rated.  I've been an above average putter (statistically speaking) for some time.  I would never have thought I could have gained anything from being fit for putter but I went for a full bag fitting five years ago and far and a way the biggest statistical gain for me was putting.  I actually got my average putts per round down from 32 to 30 without any sort of measurable improvement in the other areas of my game.

I hope some of that helps - We can give advice but you are the one who has to dive a bit deeper into your numbers to understand why they are what they are and make the better choice - proximity to the hole on that first putt vs. penalties (including chip outs) - that will help you decide which fitting is more significant first.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

TMI following---?

I've had both done. Driver more than once*.

Your putting isn't bad. 2 putts per hole. The driver accuracy needs some work.

Lot's of assumptions. But, I wonder if perhaps your poor driver performance is due more to swing as opposed to a driver you haven't been fit to? You might want to consider some coaching on your swing. I shiny new $300-$400 fitted driver isn't going to cure a poor swing. IMO. But a $65 lesson or two will. (with practice) I'm also assuming your driver isn't completely wrong for you. Shaft, loft, etc.

One word of caution if you're dead set on a new "fitted" driver. Make sure you do not rely solely on a launch monitor. Be sure you can take it outdoors to witness for yourself the ball flight on the range. If the fitting is strictly indoors make sure you can return it for an adjustments or ... shaft after you've tested it. Don't get stuck with a driver at the cash register.

Putter: I have really mixed opinions on putter fitting. Sounds like you are a decent putter already. Putter fitting and a new custom fit putter can be an expensive proposition. I purchased a new custom fit Edel last December and can't say my putting improved. (didn't really expect it either) I've always putted well. Sounds like you do too. For example.... prior to me getting fit for an expensive new putter I putted good using a $39 Oydessy #9 from Academy. After spending hundreds for a custom fit putter I still put good. No change. Except less change in my pocket. It was a vanity purchase I suppose. (sigh)

Lastly and back to the driver. I didn't purchase either fitted driver I tried. They just didn't work out for a number of reasons. What I do still play is a 2014 SLDR that I received here on MGS for a review a couple of years ago. I wasn't fit for it. I only selected a shaft stiffness*. But, since that time I've been taking coaching and working on improving my swing. Somehow I got lucky with the OTR - SLDR. My little swing improvements have most noticeable.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hey Rev.... I tried to send you a private message but got a message you can't receive any more. I bet you need to clean it out some. Let me know.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hey Rev.... I tried to send you a private message but got a message you can't receive any more. I bet you need to clean it out some. Let me know.

I will check when I get the chance

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2.1 putts is a tricky stat without knowing proximity to the hole - if you are starting out at 30 feet on average it would be very good for a 16 - if its 10 its not so great.

Do you know how many penalty strokes you are taking because of driver (penalty strokes might also include times that you have to pitch out side ways or not have a clean look at the green.) Strokes gained driving is a deceptively important stat and a fitting may help bring the fairways hit (not always a significant stat but when you're only hitting 35 percent I think it's telling you something) up which in turn will reduce the real wild ones, the penalties and the like. That may be the quickest way to save strokes and it may even help reduce the number of putts - more approaches from closer to the green at a better angle will leave you closer to the hole.

Having written that putting fittings are extremely under rated. I've been an above average putter (statistically speaking) for some time. I would never have thought I could have gained anything from being fit for putter but I went for a full bag fitting five years ago and far and a way the biggest statistical gain for me was putting. I actually got my average putts per round down from 32 to 30 without any sort of measurable improvement in the other areas of my game.

I hope some of that helps - We can give advice but you are the one who has to dive a bit deeper into your numbers to understand why they are what they are and make the better choice - proximity to the hole on that first putt vs. penalties (including chip outs) - that will help you decide which fitting is more significant first.

Good luck!

Agreed. Two putts per hole isn't bad. I would think about if you are losing more strokes because of tee shots going ob or giving you tough approach shots vs strokes lost to 3 putts or short putts missed.

Fairway Accuracy - 35%

Putts Per Hole - 2.1

I think that these stats are telling enough. You need to find a way to allow your putting to be a strength, and stop making so many errors from the tee.  Driving it in the junk 65% of the time can only lead to higher scores, especially if you are only hitting the ball 240-260.  If you were driving it 330+ we would have a different discussion. Find something that you can keep in the short grass, and the game will become significantly easier. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Thanks everyone.  I know my driver is costing me a decent amount of strokes due to OB or chipping out sideways.  The place I have been looking at has the monitor and will give all the numbers.  They also do the fitting on an outdoor range so ball flight will definitely help to see what is going on.

The driver I have was not new when I purchased it, so I am not sure the shaft, loft and length are correct.  I was thinking that might help in the long run.  I have no problem with a club that is older even with new technology coming out year after year.  I just want to get something that is correct for me and then get some lessons too.

Thanks

I think that these stats are telling enough. You need to find a way to allow your putting to be a strength, and stop making so many errors from the tee.  Driving it in the junk 65% of the time can only lead to higher scores, especially if you are only hitting the ball 240-260.  If you were driving it 330+ we would have a different discussion. Find something that you can keep in the short grass, and the game will become significantly easier. 

Thanks everyone. I know my driver is costing me a decent amount of strokes due to OB or chipping out sideways. The place I have been looking at has the monitor and will give all the numbers. They also do the fitting on an outdoor range so ball flight will definitely help to see what is going on.

The driver I have was not new when I purchased it, so I am not sure the shaft, loft and length are correct. I was thinking that might help in the long run. I have no problem with a club that is older even with new technology coming out year after year. I just want to get something that is correct for me and then get some lessons too.

Sounds like a sound strategy. Let us know how it goes.

I think that these stats are telling enough. You need to find a way to allow your putting to be a strength, and stop making so many errors from the tee. Driving it in the junk 65% of the time can only lead to higher scores, especially if you are only hitting the ball 240-260. If you were driving it 330+ we would have a different discussion. Find something that you can keep in the short grass, and the game will become significantly easier.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Are you making any swing changes? If so you may want to wait until them take hold because the fitter is going to fit you into a driver the performs for the swing you bring that day. Don't want to get a driver that won't fit in a few months cause of a swing change.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thanks everyone.  I know my driver is costing me a decent amount of strokes due to OB or chipping out sideways.  The place I have been looking at has the monitor and will give all the numbers.  They also do the fitting on an outdoor range so ball flight will definitely help to see what is going on.

You're going to Windmill aren't you?

I did my fitting for my Mizuno there and was very happy with the result.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

@Mr_Theoo - Not really a swing change.  More of a grip change.

Grip is a very tricky change in my mind. I would wait until you are 100% comfortable with it. Grip changes can affect a lot when it comes to impact 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Grip change can be huge but it's also very easy to practice.  You can have a club in the office and grab it from time to time. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've heard some pretty good players say that a good player can hit good shots with just about any club you hand them.  A player with a mediocre swing is going to be inconsistent with even the most perfectly fitted club.  If you're going to spend a couple hundred (assuming you find a used club that fits), or maybe a lot more, on something to improve your game, I'd spend it on lessons and practice.  

Its usually not the arrow, its the archer.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived