Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Gap between 4 iron and 3 wood

RLTW83

Hi Everyone,

Right now I am having an issue with finding a reliable club for the distance in between my 4 iron and 3 wood.  I currently hit my 4 iron 215 yard and my 3 wood 260.  Obviously, there is quite a break in distance from my 4 iron to the my 3 wood.  I would prefer to stay with Callaway equipment, but if there is something better out there I am open to suggestions.  Again, I would appreciate anyone's help with a recommendation of what 3 hybrid or 3 iron I should purchase to alleviate that distance in my bag.

Respectfully,

Mike

Probably best to get a hybrid that gives you about a 15 yard distance gap between it and your 4 iron. A 19* or 20*hybrid should do the trick. Lots of good options out there including the M2 rescue, xr16, big Bertha and others

Curious @RLTW83, which 3 wood do you have? Ever tried 5 wood of same brand?

Few of us are currently testing out the Ping Crossover if you'd like to read up on it.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/15804-OFFICIAL-FORUM-MEMBER-REVIEW---PING-CROSSOVER

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Hi RLTW83, that's a pretty interesting issue with your gapping. I've got pretty similar distances with those clubs myself - 4-iron is 210yd and 3 wood 250yd. I've been using a Callaway Apex 3 hybrid (20 degrees), which I can hit about 230yd. Personally, I'd consider your options - hybrid, fairway wood or driving iron - before making a decision about what club to put in your bag.

Talk to your local pro golfer as well, as they'd probably have a decent idea of what to do. I'd also consider trying a PING Crossover, as it's a pretty nice long iron addition to the bag as well. Thanks for reminding me BigTazz!!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

Doesn't Callaway have an Apex Utility club?

Something kinda like the Crossover but for (quote-unquote) better players, which it sounds like Mike is :)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Yes, Callaway has the Apex UT (Utility Iron).

I had a similar issue earlier this year with distances.  I think you need to find what kind of club you hit best.  I had a 3H that I just couldn't hit consistently.  I replaced the 3H with a 5W and couldn't be happier.  I now it the 5W 225-235 and hit it reliably.  For me I found the 5W easier to hit, and easier to work both directions.  I would suggest going out and hitting a utility, hybrid and wood and see what works best for you.  Once you figure that out you can look at brands of clubs and what model.

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

It's really simple - get the 5 wood to the 3 wood and your gap is filled.

Impressive distances - you're longer than the average scratch player who hits it 255 with the driver.  Great job - what area of your game is your weakness?  I would target working on that once you fill the gap.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I got a strong 3 hybrid to fill that gap. 18.5 Adams pro idea. Hit it 235. Perfect gap fill. My yardage gap was the same as yours. I went and did a gap fitting at a local shop. I got a driving 4 iron and 3 hybrid. New gaping:

5 iron: 205

Driving 4 iron: 215-220

3 hybrid: 235

3 wood: 255-260

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

If your 3 Wood is adjustable 9like mine) you can change the loft to a 4 Wood (16-17*) then go with a 4 Hybrid(21*).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you hit the 3 wood well,mother logically you should just go get the 5wood, I would check out eBay as well, and find a 3 hybrid at the same time, some courses you may want the lower flight of the hybrid, but others you may want to fly it higher with the 5 wood. You could also go with the less used 3 iron as well, there really are quite a few options to look at, I would look into all 3 and choose the best one for the day.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I love the 5-wood idea, I use a 5 wood and love it. Adams makes great fairway woods maybe look at their Tight-Lies line. They were a popular sell while I was at Golfsmith. Good luck!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I've seen the reviews for the Adams Tight Lies fairway woods (and hybrids), but I haven't able to test them as there aren't many places that stock that brand over here in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen the reviews for the Adams Tight Lies fairway woods (and hybrids), but I haven't able to test them as there aren't many places that stock that brand over here in Australia.

they're good clubs but for me they felt really weird compared to my Nike gear, not necessarily bad but much different. They do perform well if you select the right head model though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

they're good clubs but for me they felt really weird compared to my Nike gear, not necessarily bad but much different. They do perform well if you select the right head model though.

I'll take your word for it. Ignoring the fact that Nike's going out of the golf club industry, there are only a handful of golf stores around Australia that actually stock them, and only 1 store within my general area.

My dad's a big Adam's player, as he's got the irons, wedges and putter from that particular brand.

I play Adams on my driver and hybrid, but the Tight Lies launches too high for me with no roll. I'm by no means as long as OP, but I would guess that with that much SS, the Tight Lies won't do him any good.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have very similar distances with my clubs. I have a 20* Callaway X2 Hot Pro hybrid, and a 23* Callaway Alpha 815 hybrid. I can't have both in my bag during a tournament so I generally keep the 20* in there.

One thing about this gap, though, is that with my length off the tee with either my driver or 3 metal, I don't use these clubs except for a specific hole on the course where I play, or only on a second shot on a long par 5 to set-up my approach. It's not a gap that is very important for me to worry about. I literally use either of these two clubs, MAYBE, once a month if I'm playing at various courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...

I gap my set from 3 wood (15 degree) to Hybrid (19 degree) before going into my 4-iron.  My yardages are 240 (FW), 220-225 (hybrid) and 205-210 (4-iron).  The hybrid I use is a Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro U.  I've tried a ton of different hybrids over the past few years and this is the longest and easiest to hit IMO.

If you're wanting to stick with Callaway I'd honestly go find an X2Hot hybo.  Those were my favorite that Callaway made.  Long, easy to hit and they looked really nice.  Not a fan of those they have out right now.

If you're open to other brands I'd look at the TEE hybrids (EX9 and CB Pro U), as well as Taylormade M2.

• 2 months later...

I think most players have hybrids in that spot.  I personally have (2) Rescue-Mid TP's, a 19* (3H) and a 22* (4H) that work well on long approach shots as well as on Par-3's.  These are oldies but goodies, with Fuji Vista Pro .335 shafts 41" and 40.5" respectively, (the 22* 4H was tipped 1/2" to bring the trajectory down a bit).  Haven't found anything better than these, and they really suit my eye well!..  :)

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

• 4 weeks later...

I love my 3 wood and 4 iron but the 3 iron was hit or miss...either I hit it really well or really bad no middle ground.  And hybrids did not agree with me so I tried 5 woods but I was hitting them too far for the distance I was trying to cover...so my fitter suggested a 7 wood and i balked at first but after testing it and seeing the numbers it was an easy choice.  My 7 wood can get out to 225 if needed but a nice easy swing gets me the 210 to 215 I was looking for.  My buddies gave me crap until I striped it and stuck it to 10 feet from 220. 

In the bag:

King Cobra F7 10.5* with Fujikura Pro 60 S flex 44.75"

Ping Anser 16.5* with TFC 800 S flex

Mizuno JPX900 19* with Fujikura Pro 70 S flex

Ping I20 4 - PW with CFS S flex

Ping Gorge Tour 50*, 54* & 58* with CFS S Flex

SeeMore FGP Milled 36.5"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Right now I am having an issue with finding a reliable club for the distance in between my 4 iron and 3 wood.  I currently hit my 4 iron 215 yard and my 3 wood 260.  Obviously, there is quite a break in distance from my 4 iron to the my 3 wood.  I would prefer to stay with Callaway equipment, but if there is something better out there I am open to suggestions.  Again, I would appreciate anyone's help with a recommendation of what 3 hybrid or 3 iron I should purchase to alleviate that distance in my bag.

Respectfully,

Mike

I know this is an old thread, but I'd also suggest a heavenwood. My 4 iron is my 200 club, and my 3 wood is my 230. Heavenwood fits in at the 210-220 range for me, and with the adjustability of being able to change the lofts, I'd be surprised if you didn't find something that fit the yardage you're looking for.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 4 weeks later...

I play the Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 3 and 5 woods (18° and 15°). The next club is the 4 iron for me too. If you like your Callaway 3w I'd check out the 5w.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived