TESTERS WANTED! ×

New stats for Ams

revkev

Its the era of statistical analysis and metrics in sports. For golf this has led to the strokes gained metric.

I would like to suggest the strokes had metric for amateur golfers. Here's how it works: Any time you hit a shot that causes you to have an outward show of emmotion in word (of fudge) or deed (the putter toss or whirly border wedge) you've had a stroke.

I had 5 such strokes yesterday each increasing in intesity.

Number one was a blocked drive on 2 - mental error as I couldn't decide whether to hit fade or draw on a whole that I've hit draw on for 10 years.

Number 2 was a missed 2 footer straight in uphill followed quickly by numbers three and four the chunked wedge and second missed 2 footer this one downhill. That was in the first 6 holes. After that I settled until 14 where I had the same yardage with the same wedge that I chunked earlier and hit it well right (yes that kind of well right) this after I hit the same wedge to 10 feet from an awkward stance and 5 yards farther the hole prior.

So for the round I had 5 strokes.

One last thing, this is a subjective statistic. An even tempered person may have fewer strokes according to this metric and a fiery one more. Because it's subjective it's also subject to debate. On 7 I pushed my tee ball with 5 wood (I always hit 3 wood there) onto a waste area that has a grove of trees in it. I wasn't upset with the tee ball so I didn't have a stroke. I should have been upset but after consecutive missed 2 footers I wasn't exactly lucid. I proceeded to punch a 7 iron off the hard pan under the trees onto the fringe. At that point one of my playing partners who just happens to be an all time leader in strokes had chimes in and says, "boy you're not playing well today."

True, but this shot was incredible and I lipped out from 30 feet for birdie after it. Of course it went 2 feet passed but I managed to make it That time.

So what do you think of my category and how might you apply it to your game?

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I like it.....as an avid golfer, I have to admit, there are times in the round that I get frustrated by my performane.  It is these times that I measure my resolve to shake it off and resume play.

I will see if I can remember to track these unfortunate missgivings.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

LOL.... I'm really liking this Rev. Perhaps what you're really referring to is called Tour Sauce. Or is this Tour Sauce +. Only this time you're adding strokes. LOL Love it. For those not already familiar with Tour Sauce I present the following.

http://nolayingup.com/category/tour-sauce/

I wonder if what you've invented Rev could be called: Holy-Sauce ?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

@Plaid more like holy sh......

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Its the era of statistical analysis and metrics in sports. For golf this has led to the strokes gained metric.

I would like to suggest the strokes had metric for amateur golfers. Here's how it works: Any time you hit a shot that causes you to have an outward show of emmotion in word (of fudge) or deed (the putter toss or whirly border wedge) you've had a stroke.

I had 5 such strokes yesterday each increasing in intesity.

Number one was a blocked drive on 2 - mental error as I couldn't decide whether to hit fade or draw on a whole that I've hit draw on for 10 years.

Number 2 was a missed 2 footer straight in uphill followed quickly by numbers three and four the chunked wedge and second missed 2 footer this one downhill. That was in the first 6 holes. After that I settled until 14 where I had the same yardage with the same wedge that I chunked earlier and hit it well right (yes that kind of well right) this after I hit the same wedge to 10 feet from an awkward stance and 5 yards farther the hole prior.

So for the round I had 5 strokes.

One last thing, this is a subjective statistic. An even tempered person may have fewer strokes according to this metric and a fiery one more. Because it's subjective it's also subject to debate. On 7 I pushed my tee ball with 5 wood (I always hit 3 wood there) onto a waste area that has a grove of trees in it. I wasn't upset with the tee ball so I didn't have a stroke. I should have been upset but after consecutive missed 2 footers I wasn't exactly lucid. I proceeded to punch a 7 iron off the hard pan under the trees onto the fringe. At that point one of my playing partners who just happens to be an all time leader in strokes had chimes in and says, "boy you're not playing well today."

True, but this shot was incredible and I lipped out from 30 feet for birdie after it. Of course it went 2 feet passed but I managed to make it That time.

So what do you think of my category and how might you apply it to your game?

One of the best things I've ever read on golf. If it didn't hit so close to home it wouldn't have been nearly as impressive. The last few months I've had 2 or 3 doubles every round from nowhere, almost always stupid mental errors, and been consistently around 8 over. I keep staying on the same handicap as it seems like everyone else is playing a bit worse, but it's driving me crazy.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Now is this where we say it out loud or just thinking it to ourselves count? Because my last round I had 1 outward, but like 5 inward!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Now is this where we say it out loud or just thinking it to ourselves count? Because my last round I had 1 outward, but like 5 inward!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thsts the beauty of this category it's true golf, the stroke had is self impossed. We'll almost always. A friend of mine pointed out that the original offender could choose to whirly bird a club over the heads of his playing partners causing them to have a stroke.

One wonders how many strokes were had when JD tee'd one up and hit it over a group of spectators.

Tuesday was my worst round mentally in a long time. Tried to hit fade twice on holes that call for draw which is also my natural shot shape. Hit 5 wood off the tee on a hole where I hit 3 wood 90 percent of the time. When we tee'd off the hole would have been down wind but the sea breeze had kicked in and it wasn't. To make matters worse I aimed down the right tree line, my three wood line. It stayed there.

Kick in the missed putts and crap wedges and I haven't a clue how I broke 80. I also had serious body aches by the end of the round followed by a fever and the chills so that was clearly coming on while I was playing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thsts the beauty of this category it's true golf, the stroke had is self impossed. We'll almost always. A friend of mine pointed out that the original offender could choose to whirly bird a club over the heads of his playing partners causing them to have a stroke.

One wonders how many strokes were had when JD tee'd one up and hit it over a group of spectators.

Tuesday was my worst round mentally in a long time. Tried to hit fade twice on holes that call for draw which is also my natural shot shape. Hit 5 wood off the tee on a hole where I hit 3 wood 90 percent of the time. When we tee'd off the hole would have been down wind but the sea breeze had kicked in and it wasn't. To make matters worse I aimed down the right tree line, my three wood line. It stayed there.

Kick in the missed putts and crap wedges and I haven't a clue how I broke 80. I also had serious body aches by the end of the round followed by a fever and the chills so that was clearly coming on while I was playing.

The beauty is that you broke 80 with those Strokes Had.  It's like the pro hanging in there when he doesn't have his best stuff that day.  

What are you doing trying to hit a fade when the shot requires a draw and you always hit a draw?  I can understand trying to hit a fade when needed, but...  How does that even enter your mind?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 Strokes had yesterday, 1. Don't blade it, bladed it over the back and dead, double. 2. Left edge, thinking "I'm aiming right edge, but it's left" Continued to hit the putt, missed right (surprise!) 3. Missed from 2 foot, thinking about everything other than the putt.

Overall not as bad mentally as I've been recently, but a bit frustrating.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

LOL. I like this stat. I may need another scorecard to track these strokes though. Ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I actually can't tell if this is a joke or serious. It could be serious because unlike in other sports the show of emotion can be detrimental in golf.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I had waaayyy too many strokes the last couple of 9 hole rounds. I shot 50 and 51. I'm about ready to put the sticks away until next year. :unsure:

Don't do that Super and Blacj

@ Jayjay it is a bit of both. We are clearly all wound differently so for some brief displays of emmotion are fine so long as they don't impact what others are doing or the next shot.

I'm not a proponent of the everything is fine school when it's really not. I need to acknowledge a mistake, put it behind me and then get on with the next shot.

Regardless the inspiration for this thread was a playing partner talking about how off my game was after I hit a very good shot. It wasn't on the green but I got myself out of serious do do and put myself in a position for an easy up and down for par. I converted it too.

My buddy has strokes over missed 20 footers. He has no real sense of what a reasonable expectation is for his playing ability. He doesn't get why I'm not chucking my club when I haven't hit it to 10 feet from 200.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I had waaayyy too many strokes the last couple of 9 hole rounds. I shot 50 and 51. I'm about ready to put the sticks away until next year. :unsure:

No, No, No!!  Don't do that.  Analyze where your issues are, then go out to play without keeping a score.  When you get to a location that has caused trouble, take a few shots then move on but don't move on until you hit a good one.  I've done this a few times after a bad round or two, and it helps me focus on those shots when I have them again.  Good luck!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So is a stroke had a verbal bashing and/or physical outward anger? 

And would a swing that you don't even watch where the ball lands count? I do that all the time on bad hooks or fades into trees.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived