TESTERS WANTED! ×

Autographs

Jmikecpa

Posting this for a general discussion based on something that happend at the Barclays today at Bethpage.  I took my wife and my three children ages 10, 7, and 5.  The kids like to get autographs (and they should at their age) but the general rule for me is that other than standing there I am not going to help, the kids need to ask and be polite to the players.  My thought is that I am almost 40 years old, done a lot in life, somewhat successful and it is really not my plot in life to collect signatures.  Granted when I was younger I had a different view and have many fond memories of meeting athletes and getting autographs including Mickey Mantle.

Today at Bethpage my children were along the walkway at 18 waiting for the players to sign and Jordan Speith's group was coming through.  My kids had been in the same spot for at least an hour and as the crowd gathered I just stood behind them to more or less stop the stampede.  As Speith was coming down the line a man approached my wife and asked if she could hold a flag out to get signed so he did not interfere with the kids.  Of course my wife said Ok and as Speith was coming down the line he very politely told my wife to not help this man as he was only a seller of autographs and refused to sgn,  Note that he took the time to sign for every kid in the line including all three of my children which I very much appreciated.  After the incident the gentleman got very indignant with my wife which obviously I did not appreciate at all.  Granted he was smart enough to back off when I got a little annoyed (okay, down right pissed off and may have called him a name that rhymes with bassbowl).

So my question is what is the appropriate age cutoff when you should let the kids get the attention and stop looking for an autograph?  For me it was about 15 years ago but my wife tends to disagree with me (on everything).

On a side note but still pretty funny.  My son was talking with CHIII as he was signing his flag and said thank you and good luck.  CHIII said he would need it to get to the weekend with the way he was hitting it.  Without missing a beat my son tells him "well if you have the weekend off my Dad needs a partner for his Saturday game and you can play with him."  CHIII laughed and then asked if I had a business card.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

On a side note but still pretty funny. My son was talking with CHIII as he was signing his flag and said thank you and good luck. CHIII said he would need it to get to the weekend with the way he was hitting it. Without missing a beat my son tells him "well if you have the weekend off my Dad needs a partner for his Saturday game and you can play with him." CHIII laughed and then asked if I had a business card.

That is priceless. I never wish to root against a golfer but I almost hope CHIII misses the cut so you can play ;)

I don't know if there's a cutoff age, but I'm pretty sure a professional can tell who's out there for an autograph and who's selling memorabilia. As for me, I was probably 22-23 when I asked for my last autograph.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

I don't think there is an age cutoff because some people enjoy having memorabilia signed by their favorite athletes/celebs. But just getting them just to sell then its kinda wrong in these types of settings to me because you're taking up time for someone else would truly appreciate the signature.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't think there should be a cutoff age, however I do dispose the several autograph collectors that walk around with more memorabilia than most sports collecting stores. What I hate is when I see these guys paying kids money to go get a signature so they can turn around and sell it for 10x as much.

That's why I like Spieth.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Great story about CHIII and your son. That's classic and good response by CH

As for autographs, they quit being a "thing" for me around 19 or 20. But by then I was covering some major college sports and was hanging around with several veteran sportswriters, so they influence kind of rubbed off on me.

I don't personally see why a grown man would want an autograph, but I'm glad to see the athletes are on to the collectors.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Same rule as Halloween.  If you are too old to trick or treat you're too old to ask for an autograph.

As a grown up trying to get Rickie Fowler's autograph you do the right thing like @highfade and just have @golfspy mbp sign the hat for you :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'll admit a few years ago (early 40's) I got a couple of autographs at Firestone, but they were from the Aussies that were playing. Now, nah...but I'd still say G'day to them.

I do agree with Speith's stance and have read about him doing the same elsewhere.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

So you still get autographs then, Kenny?? :lol: :lol:

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I'll still ask for an autograph here in there if the timing is right. I wont stand in the autograph "line". I will also go on to say that I donate those autographs to charity golf outings for raffles and such and will let the golfer know that's where its going before they sign.

For me and Autographs it really depends. I quit getting them most of the time once I started working for professional sports teams. YOu realize there is much special about these guys. They are just dudes with families.  You also are not allowed to ask players for Autographs. We had a special day where we could get 3 items signed. I got a couple of footballs signed. More to remember my time with the team than for anything else.

There are a few other occasions Ive gotten some autographs. One is my University of Houston Schedule poster every year. They tend to look cooler hanging up with autographs.

Also when a guy played a huge role in UH athletics. I got a program signed by Freddie Couples and Clyde Drexler and the Champions Tour stop in Houston

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I think I have 3-4 sports autographs I've collected over the past century. Each of the autographs I have I got when I was in a one on one setting. Not in a line at a tournament for example. I've never really had that much interest in autographs from anybody really. Just not my thing. However, for kids I think it's a big deal and so do they. That I'm in favor of.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think the last autograph I got was Derek Jeter back in the day at the old Yankee Stadium. Have a cabinet in the man cave with a ton of signed balls and memorabilia.

Still haven't been to a tour event but fighting crowds to get autographs isn't really my thing.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Awesome story!  I've always enjoyed any interaction that I've had with the guys on tour and for that matter with MLB players during Spring Training.  I don't know the age limit.  I think it depends on the kid.  For my boys it would have been mid High School 16-17.

For Penny it could be later but she wants to be a sportswriter so at some point she'll have to make a transition away from being a total fan to being a journalist.  I suspect that will happen in college though. 

Let us know how Saturday's round goes. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Never really thought about a selective age. I think it really depends on the child and the circumstances; if he/she were to have an autograph from someone they look up to; no harm there. I've seen some of the hustlers before, giving kids things to go out and get signed for profit. Not impressed.

I have only been to one tourney and I'm 34 years old, but I would love to have leftys autograph hanging in my office. I don't think there's a age limit on interacting and getting signatures from people you admire. The pros all know with out guys like me buying there equipment and clothes , they wouldn't have a job.

Some interesting points.  I guess it depends on the venue in which you are getting the autograph.  My take on the event yesterday was that it should be kids first and a lot of the players had the same thoughts.  A few other take aways from our day out yesterday.

-  CHIII was great to not only my kids, but all of the kids that he was interacting with.  Seems like a real nice dude.

-  On #17 the Birdies for the Brave foundation was doing a military caddy for the pros and it was just great to see.  My son told me last night that meeting the members of the armed forces was the highlight of the day for him.  He also made a point of shaking each of their hands and saying thank you for your service.  Moments like that make me realize that I am doing something right with him. 

- Phil was the hit of the day for the fans.  He finished on 18 and then spent 45 minutes signing autographs, talking with fans and posing for pictures. 

-  Rory did have a Scotty in the bag with a Cash is King cover.  Was not sure if it was an M series or GoLo, but it was not something that he really wanted to chat much about.  His caddy also shielded the bag on the tee from pictures.

-  Kevin Na may have set the record for most clubs in the bag for a practice round.  He had close to 20 clubs in the bag when he was coming up 18....his poor caddy.   Bethpage is not really a fun walk at all when you are not carrying a bag.

-  Bill Haas spent a lot of time signing and talking to fans, to the point that he had to rush from shot to shot to keep position.  He was the last to get the green on 17 by about 7 minutes because he was signing and interacting with fans.

-  Most of the players that had large galleries (Rickie, Rory, Phil, etc.) made a point to say that they were not going to sign during the round and told the fans where they would be after the round for autographs and photos.  All three mentioned spent a good amount of their time with the fans and it was very well received.

-  Got VIP tickets on Sunday from a vendor for Sunday's final round in the suite behind the 18th green.  Cant wait to take the kids since it will be their first Daddy only outing in a long time.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I think the selfie is replacing the autograph for a lot of fans.  Any idea how players feel about posing for selfies?  

Did not see any issue with most of the players and selfies.  Phil seemed to really enjoy taking pictures with fans.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I've been lucky to have spent many, many years when I was younger around golfers at Firestone in Akron, OH. My dad always volunteered as security for the tournament to the point that he was in charge of all volunteer security for the last 10 years or so that he was there. This, of course, gave me some great access to the players when I was younger and even into my middle and late teenage years. I wanted to echo a few of your observations Jmike.

- A lot of the players are awesome with the kids. Most of them are family guys themselves and will spend, in some cases, HOURS after rounds just interacting and signing autographs. I've learned that the more you talk to these guys like you would talk to your buddy or anyone else, the more they'll respond. I'm guilty of being "star struck" when I was younger and would ask a bunch of questions that they were probably getting over and over in a day. Once I relaxed and started joking with them or talking about things other than golf, I got a much better response from them.

-Phil has undoubtedly got to be one of the nicest guys on the planet, especially off course. I've seen him spend 3-4 hours signing autographs and talking to patrons after a Friday round when he missed the cut. I'd venture a guess to say that most players of his caliber aren't too happy after rounds like that but I've seen him put that behind him multiple times and you can tell he genuinely likes doing that.

-I also liked what you said Jmike about the players being just people too. My dad got to know quite a few of the players and their caddies over the years there and John Daly has always been one of my Dad and I's favorite people. Honestly, for no other reason then he was always a nice and humble guy. Sure he had his issues with tempter, drinking, and smoking, but he was another guy that would have an almost empty bag after most rounds (besides his clubs of course) because he handed everything out to kids along the ropes during his rounds.

-If, as an adult, you are waiting to get an autograph in the area where all of the kids are after a players round, under no circumstances should you reach over or otherwise crowd the kids. This will all but guarantee you will NOT get the players autograph.

I think the selfie is replacing the autograph for a lot of fans. Any idea how players feel about posing for selfies?

I was just going to post that. It seems selfies are the new autograph.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

Looks like CHIII is not playing the weekend.....guess I should be expecting a phone call.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Looks like CHIII is not playing the weekend.....guess I should be expecting a phone call.

That would be awesome if he calls

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

One I'm not a person who needs things signed. Maybe if they are a favorite player or something (I did get my sister a Revis signed helmet for christmas). That being said, I'd maybe get something signed by Phil or Sergio who are my favorite. I don't see any reason if you want something signed to be of age, just be respectful and let kids go first. 

I hate nothing more than those people who are professional vendors getting stuff signed. One nearly trampled my sister years ago at Jets camp trying to get Sanchez to sign something. My sister had a nice lady get her football signed by Mark. 

but it brings up this story. My buddies and I went to the Ginn Sur de Mer classic years ago in St Augustine Florida, following David Duval who started in the lead. We talked to his wife walking besides us and she could not have been nicer. He didn't come out to practice --the attendant told us he was getting food and wanted to be with his family. We waited outside for a few of the pros to go by. Robert Allenby was really cool, my buddy gave him the ole good round and slap on the arm and immediately regretted doing that. Allenby was all smiles and said cheers, signing everything.

A few other golfers stopped by and were just as nice and then hit the practice green behind us after grabbing food. One guy that was kind of a dick was Michael Letzig. About 2-3 younger kids were hoping for autographs (being really respectful) and he walked right by them saying nothing. Almost everyone was shocked just how cold he was in that moment. They waited really patiently for a solid 15 minutes outside of the practice green a few feet behind where he was putting. Finally a parent asked politely but firmly to sign the kids stuff because they had been patient. He signed it sans any emotion. I think he lost that tournament on 18 on a missed 4 footer- the same putt he ignored the kids to practice. I still say there's some kind of curse on him for that, just because he ignored kids like that.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Same rule as Halloween. If you are too old to trick or treat you're too old to ask for an autograph.

As a grown up trying to get Rickie Fowler's autograph you do the right thing like @highfade and just have @golfspy mbp sign the hat for you :)

We agreed that would never be brought up. Ever.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

But I'll tell the story again, for those who didn't get to hear it the first time. Only because it's a fun one:

When my brother heard I'd be going to CA for the Farmers Insurance Open (MGS/TM Loft Up event a few years back), he had only one request (Demand is more like it) - His son was a HUGE Ricky Fowler fan. Probably because they're from the same area, and Ricky rode motorcycles, like my nephew. But it was clear I could not leave until I had Ricky Fowler's autograph on an orange puma hat.

On practice day, I dragged 7 MGS'ers around the course with me, orange hat in hand. It seemed like hours, but we finally found him between 15 and 16. A marshall told me exactly where to stand for the best chance of grabbing him between holes. Sure enough, Ricky walks right next to me and GolfSpy Will got a great pic of me holding the hat out to Ricky, and Ricky looking up and saying something to me (I'm tall, but he's downright tiny). Problem - What Ricky was saying was NO. He would sign after the round, but of course, we had to leave.

I was consoling myself at lunch and wondering how I would break the bad news to my brother that my nephew would not get Ricky's autograph, when MGS MBP says "I'm an artist, I can sign it for you"! So he looks online for the previous versions of Ricky's mark, and takes his shot.

Cut to the end, and as far as my nephew knows, he has a signed hat by Ricky Fowler, and a pic to prove it! I just hope he doesn't try to eBay that hat!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived